Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: OCD Coming back with a vengeance.  (Read 240 times)

Offline TheCivilYoshi

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
OCD Coming back with a vengeance.
« on: June 07, 2014, 09:40:17 PM »
Hey guys, i've been suffering with ocd for the last 6 months and it is usually an on and off thing, with some episodes lasting a few minutes or lasting up to an hour, fluctuating differently between days.

I went on vacation with my girlfriend and her friends for her graduation party / After prom. I had a little to drink, i wasn't drunk to the point where i puked or to the point where i wasn't coherent, though i did obviously have trouble paying attention while slightly inebriated.

At one point as i was trying to go sleep i was still slightly intoxicated, i had fearful thoughts that i would kill my girlfriend or hurt her in her sleep. I was scared i'd become one of those crazy drunk people and try to blame it on the intoxication. Eventually i was able to calm down after 10-15 minutes and go to sleep next to her obviously, but it made me feel like i was a terrible person. I felt like crying, thinking to myself "I dont want to be like that... I dont want that to happen..."

I had to come home the next day due to work and for the most part i have been fine, but over the last hour and a half i've felt kinda spaced out, not too much to the point where i cant understand whats going on, just slightly dizzy. Ever sense i have developed my OCD i've had slight issues reading things and sometimes putting words out of context, though usually minor. (Kind of makes me sound like im foreign, and i usually correct myself immediately afterwards.) They're extremely minor grammatical errors and you can still understand what im trying to say, but it bothers me (I feel like this might be a symptom of schizophrenia, although i am 99% sure i do not have it or i will not develop it.)

Today has been really stressful as i constantly think that my schizophrenic break is right around the corner, that im going to hear voices or something really creepy will happen that will make me think im hallucinating. My mind even tells me "If you see x happen, you're schizophrenic" (For example, i had a stuffed animal lying down, and in my head i thought "If it moves and looks at you, you're developing schizophrenia" I still preformed the compulsion and checked even though i knew it wasn't likely that something like that would happen, but i fear that because i have such thoughts that i am becoming delusional.)

Is this all just an after effect of me drinking, or is it something worse? I was officially diagnosed with Pure-O when i went to my first psychiatrist, but until i re-register for college i cannot continue to see her. I've been without one for roughly a month now and it's felt at time like a battle, but usually i don't have these distressing thoughts to make me feel worse about myself.

The only link of mental illness in my family is my half sister (Moms side) Who is bi-polar. She had done a lot of drugs like ecstasy multiple times in her life, from multiple years of going to clubs and having an excess of money. (I had a bad trip one time on a hallucinogen after experimenting with them for maybe a month, after that experience i realized i was putting my mental health in danger and completely dropped all substances i was on at the time, mostly being marijuana.)

I have support from my friends, and i do try to go out, although my friends are still stuck doing drugs a lot of the time (Not consistently, probably 1-2 times a week, but it still makes it unappealing to hang out with them) and my girlfriend had given me a second chance after dropping all previous things i have done.

Part of me feels like my experimenting with these drugs caused me to spiral down into what i fear to be a potential development of schizophrenia, although most days i do feel relatively normal, and if i have a strange or awkward thought i can tell myself that its impossible, or i will reply to myself sarcastically "Yep, definitely bro" and move on from that thought. (I saw a lot of cemeteries the last few days, so my ocd mind assumed it was a sigh of impending death somewhere in my life, although obviously this is ridiculous, part of me believed it a little bit? Also part of the reason i feel im developing scizophrenia)

I also had a strange though along the lines of "What if someone is always going around recording your life from birth and you never knew it?"
Obviously i can detect that this thought is impossible; and it didn't give me much anxiety as i kind of just shrugged it of, but i feel like once again, sigh of schizophrenia. (Though i dont get paranoid from these thoughts, which leads me to believe that it is just OCD try to convince me i'm developing it.)

I guess the bottom line is im scared that something is going to happen to me that will completely take any sanity i have left in my life and prevent me from ever rebuilding myself to the person i want to be, that it will ruin my chances of having a family, or worse, make me hurt someone i love or potentially lose my morals/emotions.

I did the stupid thing and started researching symptoms of schiz (Yeah smart idea, right?) and i constantly fear that im falling into the "negative symptoms" (I.E. Social isolation, not moving much, etc.)

I really hate sitting in my house all day, and i often try to get out, be it for a walk or to grab a slice of pizza with my friends or to see my girlfriend. I dont really think im emotionally flat, but i am slightly quiet. When i talk i have tone changes and you can obviously tell if im happy, sad, content, or angry etc. I don't really suffer anxiety from social situations anymore and i can handle them and enjoy them pretty well for the most part as long as i'm with like minded people.

Im sorry for this super long post, i just have a lot on my mind, and my parents do not want to hear any of this and i dont really think they understand how i feel a lot.

I have never been on medication for OCD, and i refuse to take medication as one of my friends developed schizophrenia after taking medication (It appeared that he was developing it, but the medication sent it into full blown psychosis. He still isn't the same after the adverse reaction.)

Bookmark and Share

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: OCD Coming back with a vengeance.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:38:18 AM »
What you're going through sounds like OCD not schizophrenia.  I have OCD that's well controlled by medication.  But I know all about that endless OCD loop where you over think things and over analyze things.  I suffered for decades before the advent of the newer antidepressants - SSRI's.  There are many different kinds of psychiatric medications -- you can't really lump them all together.  For me the SSRI's have given me back some quality of life.  If you are in significant distress it may be something worth considering.  Also there's a type of CBT called exposure therapy that helps some people and it's completely drug free.
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Offline TheCivilYoshi

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:27:48 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I will try to get back into CBT therapy asap.

I also have one thing that worries me. I have a tendency to have magical thinking often with my OCD. Colors or certain events "Meaning" something. (Even though i can grasp they're unrelated, i once again feel its my mind tricking me into believing i have schiz.)

I've also been experiencing deja vu a lot lately (maybe once or twice a day over the last few days, i hardly ever experienced it before and it also scares me, thinking that im going to have a psychotic breakdown soon.)

Im really hating this, it feels like my world is coming to an end day by day and im fearful that it really is schiz, because of my magical thinking that wont stop. (Fearful of the color red or black, thinking they mean death or violence.)

Should i bring this to a professionals attention? Im really scared that any day now im going to lose it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline healyshouse

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • you cant control the future so dont try
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »
its that fear that is keeping you feeling like this, its because you a looking for answers to a thought that pops into your head that actually means nothing.

a while back i thought i was losing it and that i needed locked up, guess what i am still here and no longer bothered by that thought.

Can you look at your thoughts rationally and know that its just in your head and not real? If so then you are not having a psychotic episode as people in this state are not aware and fully believe that what is in there head is real! (my psychologist told me this)

and the reason for this is i had to face the fear to over come it... how do you do that i hear you say... well the only way to face it is to have the question in your head and then donít answer it leave there let it run wild.. yes you will most likely feel worse and will feel like your are about to lose it but just say i most properly am and if its going to happen it will happen (that part is hard as you have to stop the need to control how you feel and think) let it be there while you carry on with your day do nothing to stop it coming in donít question if your are going mad just let the question go un answered...

you have to be able to see even though you had that thought that actually nothing will actually come of it... thoughts arenít real especially the ones you are having they are just a product of your anxious state and your mind trying to protect you from nothing as you have signalled that thought as danger and your mind constantly replays it to remind you of it,... until you face it and stop avoiding it looking for answers and seeking reassurance then it will carry on..

anxiety only has the power you give it by feeding the thoughts..

i bet you have bought a lottery ticked and thought about winning the jackpot and that you lived in your dream home.. yet it wasnít real but didnít scare you.. this is because that was a pleasant thought..

a thought is just a thought.. donít question them donít question why you feel the way you do its all down to your anxiety.

i saw a psychologist and i was scared of telling her half the thoughts that ran through my head but i did and she never locked me up she confirmed i had OCD!..

(i suffered from Pure O of harming someone i care for) also thought is was going schitz also..

i would suggest going back to you psychologist and pour out all your thoughts, face that fear and you will see nothing will come of it!
Bookmark and Share
" you will never get better until you stop trying to get better" By Paul David author of " at last a life"

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 03:25:23 PM »
Hi TheCivilYoshi - I really like the post from Bluerose Below:

What you're going through sounds like OCD not schizophrenia.  I have OCD that's well controlled by medication.  But I know all about that endless OCD loop where you over think things and over analyze things.  I suffered for decades before the advent of the newer antidepressants - SSRI's.  There are many different kinds of psychiatric medications -- you can't really lump them all together.  For me the SSRI's have given me back some quality of life.  If you are in significant distress it may be something worth considering.  Also there's a type of CBT called exposure therapy that helps some people and it's completely drug free.

When I was in my 30's - OCD destroyed all my relationships, and was ready to destroy yet another great opportunity to 'get married' - but OCD with all it's "weird thoughts and fear that I might harm someone, or I might forget to turn off the stove, or I might do something evil....etc...etc... - IT JUST NEVER STOPS.

Like BlueRose, OCD was ready to stop me from getting married to someone I really cared for.... I still didn't want to take anymore meds, I was already on meds for Panic Attacks!!!!  >:(

When I confessed to my Psychiatrist of all these Intrusive Thoughts that would keep coming back, he suggested that SSRI Prozac (at that time) should be increased from the 10 mg per day to a higher dose - we now know that a higher dose of SSRI can stop or reduce OCD,

So, I took a chance... went up to 20...30...40  Bingo! :happy0180:  At 40 mg of an SSRI approved for OCD - these thoughts literally vanished, and I was able to continue my life... which nothing short of a miracle, after spending years of CBT and mental strategies, which did very little to help my situation.

Wishing you Good Luck - hang in there  :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

ďYou canít live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: