Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Advice about anxiety and college?  (Read 72 times)

Offline LyssaLou

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Advice about anxiety and college?
« on: June 07, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »
I just finished my junior year of high school. I do rather well academically and have over a 4.0 GPA. But my anxiety and the already cruel high school environment makes me miserable. I'm going to graduate a semester early, so that means I will be a full time college student second semester this coming school year. I'm worried about college given that I have anxiety problems. I want to major in Accounting in college. I know I have a little while left to go, but anybody have any stories or advice about dealing with anxiety in college? I know everyone is different, but how'd it go for you and any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hopeful77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Advice about anxiety and college?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »
First let me say congratulations on your upcoming senior year and all the hard work you have done to have such a high GPA and on getting to graduate early.  College was a long time ago for me (over 20 years ago), but I remember what it was like getting ready to go.  Home was always my safe zone, so it was really hard for me to leave.  I was close enough to go home on weekends, but stayed in a dorm during the week.  Maybe being away from home doesn't cause you to be anxious.  If it does, will you be going somewhere where you can commute each day?  Maybe you could even go somewhere local for the first couple of years and get your feet wet and then transfer later once you get used to college life.  I am not sure what you mean about the cruel high school environment.  If you are talking about people being mean to you, you will likely find that things get better in college.  I experienced some bullying in high school.  Luckily I don't recall any in college.  That is one nice part about growing up.  The only other advice I have to offer is to be sure to make time for fun and not study all the time.  I was a study geek, which is not all bad as I had a good GPA, but I think my anxiety may have been lower if I had spent more time with friends.  The truth is once you start working, no one will care what your GPA was, so if you stress a lot over grades, try not to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LyssaLou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »
Thanks! I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I have to have straight A's. But thanks. I am going to a college where my boyfriend goes (about 30 minutes away) and I'm gonna commute with him. I just don't know what college is like yet obviously. I've heard so many different opinions. I've heard it's easier in general because even though he work is harder, there is less of it, but I've also heard it's super hard and you'll have no life..
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hopeful77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »
In my experience, it seemed like if you were someone who got good grades in high school, but actually had to study to do so, college was less or a shock than for those who were able to get good grades without studying.  I think that is because if you have already learned how to study and have developed the self discipline to do it, then you are a step ahead.  Those who didn't have to study in high school had to learn how once they got to college.  Each class probably does take more work, but as you said, you spend less time in class, so you should still have free time if you don't load up on too many classes.  One last word of advice... It is great to have a goal to get all A's, but remember that your worth as a person is not tied to your grades.  Getting a B or C or even failing a class does not diminish who you are.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: