Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: New to the Site  (Read 53 times)

Online Hopeful77

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New to the Site
« on: June 07, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »
Hi all.  I just thought I would introduce myself as I am a new member.  I have read posts on the site for several months and finally got up the courage to join.  As a brief background I am in my mid-40's and have suffered with anxiety for as long as I can remember.  I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder as my chief problem.  I am a champion worrier.  I also had problems with social anxiety.  I am ok with people I know, but I often get nervous when I have to deal with strangers (even making phone calls to order pizza).  For better or worse I have been able to hide my problems from most people (other than my husband).  He wanted me to get help for years, but I was too scared to do so.  I finally saw a therapist last year for about 6 months.  Making that call was one of the scariest things I ever did.  I also talked to my primary care doctor about it.  He prescribed Celexa.  I only took one pill and had such side effects (major insomnia and feeling like a zombie) that I didn't take any more.  Now I know that these kind of side effects are common and often go away.  Anyway, the therapy really helped.  I don't get overwhelmed by my worries nearly as often as I used to.  I am still on edge much of the time though.  I sit at work really tensed up.  I think I am just waiting/expecting something to go wrong.  My main  coping mechanisms are my faith in God and humor.  It helps to laugh at myself when I can (such as the time when I was literally scared by my own shadow).  Anyway, I thought it would be good to join in with others who share similar problems in the hopes that we can help each other.     
Bookmark and Share

Offline LyssaLou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to the Site
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »
Hi, welcome to the website, I am a new member as well(:
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »
Hi Hopeful,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum.

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Online Hopeful77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
Thanks all.  I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: