Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Finally at 50 mg of zoloft  (Read 797 times)

Offline Drielly84

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Finally at 50 mg of zoloft
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »
Thank you! Yeah I was told to take 25- 50 mg
I feel the trazodone is safer than ambien because ambien can be addictive when taken all the time
One of my OB's doesn't feel comfortable with trazodone but will keep giving ambien :/ I'm meeting with my main OB tomorrow so I'll talk to her about it.
I took the trazodone last night and slept a bit better but was still up early but was able to nap so I guess it's working :) and baby has been kicking and moving away today so I know he is good!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
One of my OB's doesn't feel comfortable with trazodone but will keep giving ambien

It is also a category C med, so there doesn't seem to be any basis for her/his greater confidence. Doctors are as much creatures of habit as the rest of us and tend to use the same meds for particular issues and resist others even when they might be more appropriate.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline will402

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 06:42:20 AM »
I am on day two of zoloft at 25mg, If I am honest I am feeling worried.

I have been on zol before with little side affects (for three months) but this time I am panicky, afraid to leave the house, I feel sick and have little apatite. I am scared that I am having a bad reaction this time around.

Any ideas? Is it normal?

Will
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 07:19:35 AM »
Hi Will - I just started Zoloft today. First time taking it. I truly believe what you are going through is the reason you're taking Zoloft in the first place - Anxiety. Hang in there buddy. It will get much better but takes a little time.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline will402

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »
Cheers Joe,

First time I took zol it was really good!
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 08:26:28 AM »
Thanks Will. Yeah I'm hoping for the best.  My Doc started me on 50mg right out of the gate. Like I said I'm only on day 1. I just stopped taking saint johns wort 3 days prior to starting Zoloft hope it's okay. Hope all goes well for you too my friend.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »
I have been on zol before with little side affects (for three months) but this time I am panicky, afraid to leave the house, I feel sick and have little apatite. I am scared that I am having a bad reaction this time around.

For reasons which aren't yet entirely clear, the initial side-effects can be more severe and/or different the second time antidepressants are started, even when it isn't the same one as before. If it is the same one then you may also find you'll need to take a higher dose to achieve the previous levels of control. There is also evidence that the odds of antidepressants working drops each time they are restarted, according to one study by nearly 20% each time.

I just stopped taking saint johns wort 3 days prior to starting Zoloft hope it's okay.

It probably isn't okay and may at least partly explain your symptoms. A washout period of 2 weeks is recommended before starting a SSRI, MAOI, or the tricyclic antidepressants clomipramine, imipramine and maybe amitriptyline.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »
Hi Ian - I only took the SJW for 5 days. Do you think that I should stop taking the Zoloft still? I'm only on Zoloft for 1 day. So bassically I took the SJW for 5 days stopped for 3 days and started the Zoloft. Also I wasnt't taking the recommend dosage of SJW (3 - 300mg pills per day). I was just taking 1 300mg pill per day. Thanks.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
I only took the SJW for 5 days. Do you think that I should stop taking the Zoloft still?

I don't know. Five days on SJW might have been long enough for it to build up in your system to a significant degree. What little concrete data there is suggests the elimination half-life of the main active chemical, hypericin, is about 24 hours which means it would take 5 days to be totally out of your system. However, there are other chemicals such as pseudohypericin used in SWJ supplements which may be slower to be eliminated. If it was me I'd delay the Zoloft until the sixth day off SJW just to be sure.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »
Hey Ian ' You're pretty much right on. I spoke with the Dr and he said skip a couple of days wiyh yhe Zoloft.  I just remembered it was actually four days between the medications not 3. so you are pretty much right on. Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »
I'm on 2 weeks today of 50 mg and it has made a huge difference.... I started at 12.5 mg so it took me three weeks to even build up to go to 50 mg
I had a mild panic attack last night and felt panicky a bit during the day but it is so much more tolerable and I an work through my anxiety better.... I'm sure I may have to increase in a few weeks but right now I'm doing okay! So give the zoloft sometime :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline will402

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »
Yeah I feel better now actually with the side effects, well they are still there but a few have settled down already. I also had the best sleep I have had in months last night, lovely!

Ian I raised this point with my doctor and he said it was nonsense, I cannot find much else on the internet about it?

Will
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 10:52:34 AM »
Great to hear especially about the sleep. Sleep is huge in all this. I'm just starting Sertraline so we'll see how it goes.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 06:18:11 PM »
Ian I raised this point with my doctor and he said it was nonsense, I cannot find much else on the internet about it?

What is nonsense? That antidepressants are less likely to work with each discontinuation-restart cycle? I did link to a study showing exactly that. Here's another. It is something first noticed in repeat drug trial subjects (some do it for the money) which was thought to be skewing the results.

My claim that the side-effects tend to become more severe with each cycle is based on many anecdotal reports over the years from participants in forums like this. There is rarely a week goes by without someone here reporting having significant side-effects when they didn't the first time they took the same antidepressant.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline will402

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
Sorry I didn't mean you were talking nonsense, its just what my doctor said. But as we all know most doctors don't have a clue. I myself have had terrible side effects second time so im dumping them, gonna try on my own.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: