Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pancreatic Cancer Scare  (Read 234 times)

Offline NickT76

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pancreatic Cancer Scare
« on: June 06, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
Hello everybody.  It's been a very long time since I've shared some of my health scares with you all.  In the past it's always been ALS, MS, etc.  The latest and greatest for me is Pancreatic Cancer.  I'm currently 37 Years old and a bit overweight.  I have lost to date 31.5 lbs by calorie counting (my fitness pal), low sodium diet & walking.  I've been feeling pretty good up until about 2 weeks ago.

For the past year or so I've had a problem with alcohol.  I was drinking 7 days a week putting down a 1 liter bottle of Jack with diet coke.  My GI yelled at me at the time warning that if I keep this up I"ll end up with Cirrhosis in about 5 years.  My blood tests were almost always perfect including Live Function Tests.  I DID stop all drinking during the week.  I would say I do average probably 1/2 bottle over the weekend.  Yes I still have some work to do. 

Anyways fast forward to about 2 weeks ago..   I had a heavy weekend of holiday drinking and about 2 days after I started getting this aching pain on my left side almost under my ribs.  It came and went.  At  first I thought I might have had pancreatitis (internet reading of course).. but also heard that most people that get pancreatitis end up in the hospital.  After a few days and a really big bowel movement the pain went away.

Now to last weekend... I definitely had what you would call a binge drinking weekend.  I downed about 16 drinks in a 2 day period and again felt the same thing approximately 2 days later.  This time the pain started to radiate to my back on the left side a bit.  During all of this my Acid Reflux started to act up again.  The left side pain did go away again but now has come back today... almost a steady throbbing that comes and goes.  On top of that I think the acid reflux has gotten so bad that I had a bout of chest pain and trouble breathing for 2 days, bad gas, etc.  Eating doesn't make the pain worse or better, neither does leaning forward or lying down.

I have an appointment with my GI this afternoon.  The only thing I can think of at this point is that I have permanently damaged my pancreas with pancreatitis or even worse developed PC.  My wife tells me it's probably just gas but being me I'm thinking the worst possible thing.

If anyone has experienced anything similar and can help me with this that would be great.

Thanks
Nick

Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pancreatic Cancer Scare
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
I used to drink minimally every day with dinner and got an esophageal ulcer out of it. Boy was that a painful SOB.
I have not had a drink since.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pancreatic Cancer Scare
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:25:25 PM »
Sounds like you have abused alcohol and are now feeling the effects. I doubt it PC though 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: