Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How to start living again  (Read 189 times)

Offline ActInsane

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How to start living again
« on: June 06, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »
So I have to type a little about my case for you to understand and maybe help me with my problem.
I am very new to these forums as you can see so I don't know if this topic has been here before. Feel free to link me to it if you know (I would search for it myself but to be honest going through all these threads makes me feel more anxious).

I am a 21 year old female, I recently realized I have health related anxiety. The usual case, feared I have a deadly disease with every pain, weird feeling etc.  Went to the doctor, kind of already knew whats wrong with me, got some mirtazapin to be able to sleep and assurance that I am indeed, healthy, just thinking im not.

So after that the medicine has not helped me greatly, I still fight with my houhgts alone, just perhaps helps me sleep a little better, if that.

So. This is my question. How do I start living again? It got really bad before I finally went to the doctor, I laid in my bed, crying for weeks, afraid to go out, afraid to do anything. I want to start going out again, and I do, I do that more often now, going to town on my own, getting groceries all that I do but I still worry. I just know to ignore it as much as possible now. Just recently I had a downfall again. Constant pain in left arm, im terrified about having a heart attack. EKG was done, all possbile blood tests, I have been assured it's impossible for a person with my health and age to have it and I still worry.

I've heard that sport helps and the doctor even told me I should go running again, like I used to, nothing will happen, but I just don't dare. I know nothing is gonna happen, I know I can always stop and rest, walk a little, but I get so anxious before even getting out of the door, I KNOW im gonna feel bad, I don't want to go because I KNOW it is going to be a terrible experience for me. How do I get out of this cycle???

Also another question. My SO is very supportive of me but doesn't knbow how to help me. I don't know what he's supposed to do help me either. DOes anyone have any experience with how others could help you. I know he would do anything for me, but I can't tell what it is he should do.

Mary
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How to start living again
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 11:48:13 AM »
Hi Mary,

First, the pain in your arm; this is a subject I have seen a lot here and I've had it myself. I was just like you, thought it was my heart, doctor did an EKG and blood work and everything was normal but still I thought it was my heart. The fact was, though, that it wasn't. The reason this is such a common problem on this board is because people with anxiety get tense, and muscle tension causes this pain. The pain in your arm is most likely caused by muscle tension in your shoulder, chest, and neck area (and maybe your back muscles too). This was the case for me; I had a massage therapist work on the area where your shoulder and neck meet your sternum and it made the pain go away for weeks. Now I try to keep those muscles relaxed and get them massaged as often as I can afford to.

If your SO is looking for ways to help you, maybe he can offer neck/shoulder rubs?

As to the larger question of getting on with your life, that's trickier. You have the right idea, but implementing it is difficult, especially at first. You need to just tell yourself that this is uncomfortable but won't hurt you, that it's frightening but you are stronger than your fears. The more you do it, the easier it will become, and while it may always be there, the discomfort will feel smaller and further the more you do it until it is just something in the background most of the time.

Also, if the problem is too much for you to handle on your own, a therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders can offer you helpful techniques for managing the problem.

It is helpful to me just to know that there are enough people with similar problems to have such an active forum as this. That means that this is not such a rare problem after all, and it is comforting to see other people with the same symptoms who also suffer from anxiety because it reassures me that it is indeed just a product of the anxiety itself and not caused by a life-threatening illness. Also, when I can see someone else asking about the same symptoms I've been dealing with and I know how to answer them, it reaffirms to me that the same answer applies to myself even if my brain wants to reject that answer. It's just the anxiety at work and it's going to be alright.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ActInsane

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How to start living again
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
Thank you so much for such a quick answer. I hoped for something soothing, but this calmed me down more than I ever expected. I will definitely stick around to these forums for the future with questions that might come up as this has been a big help. Really, thank you. You have, at least today, made me feel a lot better.

Lots of happiness,
Mary
Bookmark and Share

Tags: sport health Arm pain