Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Job & Life Advice  (Read 300 times)

Offline Taz0123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Job & Life Advice
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:06:40 PM »
Hi all,

Long story short, I've been struggling with my job which gives me no small amount of stress, anxiety, and depression, all of which I am glad to say I am managing with a very supportive doctor and counsellor.

I work in the Aerospace and Defence industry as a CMM programmer (specifically for Zeiss Calypso software), and my workplace environment is highly toxic and extremely stressful. My company culture is completely a$$ backwards. I could write a GRR Martin length novel on how much I hate it there, but I am honestly done whining.

Bottom line is, I do like the work I do. Or at least I think I do. But I definitely don't want to be at my current company anymore, especially if I have to take pills just to keep my stress level manageable.

The problem is that this career is that it is quite a niche market. Around the city I live there are only about 6 to 10 companies that use this specialized software, all of which already have people filling this role for them. It's not a short-term position, it's actually pretty much a guaranteed for-life career if you're good at it.

I've started looking for other jobs, but there was only one in my city that wanted a CMM programmer. I've also started looking for administrative assistant types of jobs out of sheer desperation. I want to get out of my current workplace that badly. I've even considered going back to college or university for something, but I don't know what.

A friend at work suggested trying to apply for this job outside of my province, since I have found some that are looking for programmers. I haven't been doing this long, about 8 months, but I'm starting to consider maybe moving to a different city and start over since there is nothing for me here. I don't talk to my toxic family members. I don't connect very well with my friends. There is literally nothing to do here and the city does suck, the slums and horrible weather. I don't "love" my work, but I definitely hate my current situation.

I guess I just want to know what other people think. I don't want to uproot my life, but I definitely want to make something of myself and I can't do it here in this dismal middle-of-nowhere-city in Canada. I did just find my support net for my mental health, a family doctor, a counsellor, and some fairly decent friends. But I don't want to live here forever, and I definitely want to be happy again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline swimmer

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Job & Life Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 02:43:29 AM »
i would stay where you are moving might be harder
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taz0123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »
Like it's not hard now?

Between battling depression and outright apathy, it takes so much for me just to try and go to work, let alone do anything useful. I feel utterly hopeless, worthless, working there. It's starting to bleed out into my very small and fragile social life. I have trouble even wanting to talk to my few friends. I want to feel something for my life beyond a bleak and pointless job that is burning me out on both ends. Even with pills, the depression is slowly creeping into my brain again and slowing me down.

I want to be happy again. I can't honestly remember what that feels like.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taz0123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »
Hi again all,

Just another question for the forum.

I've been talking to a few job recruiters lately, and was wondering if I should tell them I have a mood disorder (possibly bipolar, not officially diagnosed yet). I know this is a very personal issue, but it's not like I will (or want) to hide it. I will have to deal with it wherever I work or live, and would like a company which is more people-oriented and willing to give me some help or flexibility to get the long-term help I will need.

My current workplace is unfortunately not one of these places. Their idea of a flexible work schedule is extreme amount of overtime to make up for any hours lost for a medical appointment. 5 HR heads have quit over the company's history, and the current HR rep works for the executives rather than "the people". I don't trust my supervisor who's recently gotten a promotion.

Suggestions?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:07:23 AM »
Am no expert here, but I would not address my personal issues in a work situation. Some companies do provide counseling services, but I would not seek those up front.

Try and find a therapist to help you with your issues to help you make a move if you think that is necessary. Wishing you the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MicTyson

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 01:38:41 AM »
i agree with the above poster, your medical conditions aren't company business unless someone could get hurt. But if you are unhappy try applying to jobs out of your city/province. Speak directly to someone in HR and explain that you're moving. Working for a defense contractor should give you a huge advantage over the competition. What  exactly does your job entail? I too am in a niche market in Canada lol, I hope it works out for you 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taz0123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
Hi MicTyson,

I have applied in other cities/provinces in my job search, so far nothing has panned out yet.

My job entails programming parts that out company manufactures, which is the lion's haul of my job. I also am responsible for every bit of paperwork relating to my machine for ISO/NADCAP documentation and data tracking. I co-ordinate with other departments for feedback, in hopes of improving our process to make better parts.

I am actually going to request a leave of absence from my HR rep on Monday, since I had a severe lapse in my mental health earlier in the week just from a "normal day at work". At this point, I can't stay where I am without damaging my mental and physical health. I'm seriously considering returning to College to take a Welding course to change my career. I can't just stick around and wait for a new job somewhere else anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: