Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New here and dont know what to do  (Read 207 times)

Offline Nala1991

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New here and dont know what to do
« on: June 05, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
Im new to this forum and i feel weird even posting this. I am a 29 year old female and a coupke of years ago i had an anxiety attack out of nowhere. From then on it was a nightmare. I had constant anxiety all day every day. My head was so weird and spacey feeling and very disoriented feeling all of the time, my heart would race , I wasnt gh same mentally at all I couldnt think straight was forgetting things didnt want to even talk to anyone anymore I was a mess. I really thought i had something seriously wrong with me and it made me extremely depressed. I went to my doctor and he put me on cymbalta. I got almost 100% better. I moved into my own apt, had a social life, was always going out and felt almost completely back to normal. I decided to go off the meds sometime in the mid to late part of last year I cant really remember when. I recently had lot of stressful situations happen to me a couple of months ago and I am almost back to where I was a couple of years ago. My scariest symptom is my head issues. I feel so weird I am constantly spaced out, dont even want to talk to anybody anymore, I am always so spaced out and feel so weird all of the time. I cant think straight, dont really pay attention to conversation anymore I feel so unlike myself. I have no emotions anymore except to cry because I feel this way. I can feel it all coming back almost to as bad as it was before. I went to the Dr. Yesterday and he prescribed me a new SNRI called Fetzima. Of course i googled it and heard of people saying it increased anxiety an felt bad on it. I didt take it yet and called him back and he called in the generic form of Cymbalta because I did well on that. Now im scared to take that too bc its not actual Cymbalta and Im afraid it wont work because it is generic even though he told me it was the same thing.I dont know what to do anymore I just want to feel like me again and this is not the person I am Im usually very sociable and love doing things and am pretty sharp mentally but lately I feel so weird and off and stupid because of my head. I feel like im not here and just so weird. Now ive developed weird feelings on my face and Ill have random pains in my head and my neck will hurt alot and my brain will feel so slow and foggy alot and it makes me think theres something wrong with me. I dont know what med to take and I dont know what to do because noone else I know feels this way so they dont understand what I am going through.
Bookmark and Share

Offline raggamuffin

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New here and dont know what to do
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:31:04 AM »
Avoid googling medications - you'll always read scary stories and the internet is not the place to try and find medical information. It's a lot of anxious people's addiction. They get a symnptom and google it. Suddenly a headache sprouts fears of anneurysism, tumours and meningitis.

Panic attacks tend to be caused by a build up of bad stress management over a prolonged period of time or a reaction to a particularly stressful time. I originally thought mine came out of nowhere, but you have to do some digging till you find out where the cause was and this can take time.

Medication is a band aid. It can reduce anxiety to allow you to go about your day to day. Dr's feel if this occurs for long enough the patient can live anxiety free then reduce the medication and come off it. But with people who are prone to higher levels of stress than other people medication should be paired with therapy. This will give you the necessary tools to learn how to manage your stress and anxiety.

Head fog, derealization etc is a common anxiety symptom. That giddy/drunken/lightheaded feeling isn't nice but common sensation with anxious people. But don't let it add to the worries. Just let it be, adding more stress will prolong it or make it feel worse. It'll kick in the fight or flight response if you fear it. When the mind and body senses danger you'll flood your system with adrenaline and various other chemicals we use to survive. Just let it be, don't let your brain fly at 100 mph with terrifying thoughts and fears. Derealization/Disassociation/Dizziness etc. seems to be the mind's way of retreating from the excessive worries and stresses an anxious person puts the mind through on a daily basis. It's a sad state of affairs but it stands to reason this would happen. If you stress so much that you're causing physical pains in your body, why wouldn't your mind try and retreat from it all?

With anxiety your fight or flight response is on red alert and triggers everytime you let yourself run with the fears and worries and your brain senses danger. It fires off lots of chemicals around your body to fight or flee. but with anxiety - when you constantlyt feel scared and worried this occurs a lot and can give all manner of strange and painful sensations.

Learn to reduce stress and realize the symptoms aren't a disease or something that'll harm you. Your body is simply telling you it's stressed and needs you to reduce stress to let it heal and return to normal.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ed
Bookmark and Share
Feel free to add me on the book of faces - "Ed Raggamuffin Foulds"

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:16:43 AM »
Welcome Nala,

In my own experiences with at least 10 different antidepressants over 25 years... IMHO - I have found one that I found to be the most "Gentle and the easiest to take:  Lexapro or Celexa  - both of these AD's have a good record and tend to be far less harsh than Prozac, Effexor, Zoloft, etc.

I have a couple of family members that take Celexa and or Lexapro without any real bad side effects, and it is the one AD that works a lot faster than the others I have tried.

When my family or friends ask which AD's would be a good starter - my choice without hesitation would be Celexa or Lexapro - whichever your insurance or your Doctor recommends.

Your anxiety about taking any meds is normal, I was the biggest scaredy cat - when it came to trying out new meds.  I would actually go to a friends house or have someone with me when I first took it - for the extra support and courage, and in case something were to happen.

Of course, nothing ever happened, but it sure made me feel better and lowered my anxiety having a friend or family member around when I first took any meds.

You will get a lot of support here, there many wonderful and helpful people to chat with...

Let us know how you progress - you are among friends  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies I am just feeling like I will never feel like myself again and hard to believe I was pretty much the old me last year. I am just really nervous about this med because I have read that it increases heartbeat and my anxiety is already getting pretty high as soon as I wake up. The generic cymbalta is still expensive and I dont have any health ins at the moment so I dont know what to do. I feel like doing nothing anymore I hardly even talk
anymore. I feel nothing about anything anymore. My doc says he considers this med an NSRI rather an SNRI because its supposed to give you more energy. I just hate feeling this way I just want to feel
good again and stop worrying I have something wrong with my brain its all I think about all day and I want to do nothing because my head feels so weird. I still get up and go to work everyday but its a challenge bc of my head issues.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:25:46 AM »
Raggamuffin, excellent reply!  I couldn't agree more, great advice!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:04:33 PM »
I mean in just a few days its completely back full force. I cant even think straight and my body is constantly shaking and feeling so keyed up along with the stiff jaw not being able to swallow stuff again and my head is tight and foggy. I just cant believe I am at this point again and it really bums me out bc I was doing so good for awhile. I just feel like I am the only person that feels this way even though I know everybody on here has experiences similar symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: