Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Haven't slept well in a week...scared of fatal insomnia!!!!  (Read 107 times)

Offline shaula

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
I recently moved back into parent's house after college, but being around them is very stressful. Over the past week I have had a lot of trouble sleeping. I stayed up all night once then slept a few hours...slept maybe six hours or seven for a few days...two days ago I couldn't sleep well at all and tonight I haven't slept at all though I got sleepy during the day but didn't take a nap...

I also have this persistent twitch under my left eye...
Mostly I am so scared of not sleeping. I want to sleep so bad but it is almost like my heart is racing and I can't get to bed...I took a melatonin pill hoping it would help but it did not at all and I am so scared I have sfi like so scared. I have a job interview at 930 am and I don't want to show up looking exhausted!!!! But I know I will and I don't know what to do I am so so scared it is 4:20 and I just want to sleep but i can't I feel wide awake and I am horrified. :(

Bookmark and Share
Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.

Hold on if you feel like letting go.

Offline shaula

Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Haven't slept well in a week...scared of fatal insomnia!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:36:47 AM »
I also want to add that I have started to feel like an inner sort of shakiness in my head neck and chest...like when you're very nervous about doing something and you shake badly...

Everything started when I came back home so I know there is link between these symptoms...but I am so scared and cannot help thinking the worst...I had a lump in my throat for a log time but that went away and now I can't sleep and have this shakiness and twitch under eye going on...I wish it would all just go away I am so so scared :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cass717

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:11:38 AM »
Definitely tell a doctor at some point. But maybe if you don't think its a severe enough case (some doctors think anxiety is plain silly and will probably blame the symptoms on that) try Valerian root tea! Its found in health stores and worked well for me. Its quite potent once you hit the last sip. Stay away from coffee for a bit. I had a case where I was awake for 36 hours and I was literally tweaking! They put me on meds but its always better to avoid the addictive stuff. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:28:41 AM »
Fatal insomnia might be a concern if you literally had not slept at ALL in this time period and your entire family was similarly affected.  Poor sleep is not fatal insomnia, that's just run of the mill ordinary insomnia. 

28 cases of this syndrome have been diagnosed worldwide, if I recall.  I can't even do the math to tell you what those odds are.

Drink some warm milk, take a hot bath, put on some background television or music or white noise you don't need to listen to closely, read a boring book, count sheep, etc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »
The stress of you moving back home after college may be at the root of your symptoms.
I would call your physician and explain your symptoms and concerns. Lack of sleep can cause
all sorts of odd bodily symptoms.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline shaula

Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 08:10:42 AM »
I think you are right I have been so stressed out...I guess I just panicked because I thought spending the night way from them would reduce my anxiety...I am out of town for a job interview and yet I still couldn't sleep until 500 but had to get up...
Bookmark and Share

Tags: