Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: chest pain/sternum  (Read 404 times)

Offline AshleyNova

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
chest pain/sternum
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:14:11 PM »
I hate this! Im a 24yr old Female.. Its almost been a year of on and off chest pain. Ive had a handful of tests done all fine. The chest pain feels near surface level, like a burning achey pain on my sternum and around it. It comes and goes in week lengths. I have been taking .75mg of zoloft and kilonopin when needed but im getting really tired of having this pain! Also when i have it I also typically feel like my upper chest around the neck feels tense but on the inside and on the right side under my breast.

Me and my bf got into an disagreement a week or so ago and quickly resolved.. we dont fight & have been dating for a long time but we are long distance now. Anyway... I see him every weekend almost but for some reason it affects me physically they are saying.. i just dont understand.

I am really happy most days and i feel separate from anxiety itself so I get confused why I am still dealing with this.

i hate physical symptoms!  :yawn: if its even what this is.. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Milo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: chest pain/sternum
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:25:21 PM »
Sorry Ashley. 

Does the pain go away when using benzo's?
Bookmark and Share

Offline raggamuffin

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:23:06 AM »
Muscle pains are common. My sternum has been sore to the touch for years. First I went to chiropractor who charged 35 for 30 mins of clicking and using a tool which pushed down on the tibs connecting to the sternum and clicked. It was supposed to help nudge them into the correct position. This was because I had a strange thing where, when i'd stretch i'd push my chest out. It used to click. It did this for a year or more until I finally stopped forcing it. Once I tried forcing it when it wouldnt click and I literally pulled a rib out of allignment somewhat. It was very painful.

Anyway back to anxiety causing chest pains. It's best to accept it's an anxiety pain as aanything else would have a wealth of other symptoms that you'd know not to be anxiety. When you have anxiety your fight or flight response and brain chemistry is off kilter. You wind up going into fight or flight mode a lot more than the average person. It's a great body mechanism for situations where you have to fight or fly. like a barking dog in a room. Once you're out of the room your body will calm down. With anxiety - when you feel pains it creates fear which tells thde brain and body you're in danger - then fight or flight kicks in.

This pumps blood filled with all sorts of chemicals to help you in fight or flight situations. This blood pumps to the chest wall muscles to strengthen them and protect the vital organs from impact. But with anxiety this fight or flight works overtime. you never truly feel safe because you're constantly scared of symptoms, aches and pains. youo fear disease and death. Ergo your brain and body think there is constant danger and you wind up with excess of adrenaline and other chemicals.

over time this causes inflammation, muscle soreness, spasms and a wealth of other bodily hiccups that cause the symptoms and sensations we feel when we live with an anxiety disorder.

The long and short of it is that you have to simply acknowledge a pain and nothing more. Don't attatch any meaning to it. Don't fire off the hundred "what if?" questions or assume the worst or that it's death or disease. Don't convince yourself it's anxiety either. Simply put - we have to learn to live with uncertainty and understand that it's highly unlikely these pains are anything more than anxiety. You wake up each day alive. You get through each day - often with a barrage of discomfort. But it's all building a case to proove anxiety is causing a lot of nonsense.

Speak to your local Gp and ask about CBT with a therapist. It'll provide you with invaluable knowledge to help you reduce and reign in the leesh on anxiety. When it's bad and we suffer with pains all over the body for years on end we probably say to ourselves "anxiety is ruining my life. Anxiety is in control of my life". This in itself is a lie. There's nothing wrong with the body - it's the mind that must be worked on. We've wired ourselves to hone in on any ache and pain and spark the vicious circle of fear - symptom - more fear - more symptoms.

It takes time and practice to gradually learn to not reacrt to pains. Let them come and go as they please. We are the one's in control of anxiety. Without us - anxiety wouldn't exist. It's not a tangible substance - it's an emotion that we can control. Anxiety is a fear and lack of control and restraint. But think about a symptom - if you worry about it and panic about the worst case scenario what happens? You feel worse and it lasts longer. Therefore you need to practice mindfulness. Almost as if you notice a pain in the 3rd person. Detatch meaning and emotion to it. Have to soldier on through it. Keep busy and really engross yourself in what you do on a day to day basis. Take up new hobbies or rekindle old ones. Don't assume anxiety prevents you from doing things - it's simply your mindset convincing yourself these tasks are impossible. Yes, the early days will be horrid, you will have to endure a lot before you start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. But exposing yourself to these discomforts and getting through the other side - unscathed and alive will proove to you more and more that this will not hurt you any more than you allow it to.

Hope you feel better soon. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or just want to chat.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ed
Bookmark and Share
Feel free to add me on the book of faces - "Ed Raggamuffin Foulds"

Offline doug65

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »
"The long and short of it is that you have to simply acknowledge a pain and nothing more. Don't attatch any meaning to it. Don't fire off the hundred "what if?" questions or assume the worst or that it's death or disease. Don't convince yourself it's anxiety either."

^^^This^^^ 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline AshleyNova

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:37:50 AM »
Sorry Ashley. 

Does the pain go away when using benzo's?

Not really if I take benzos over a period of time it kinda seems to help but not immediately usually. But it come and goes and feels service level like a burning muscle pain or so ribs idk
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCtitan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 03:56:39 PM »
I also feel the same burning sensation around my sternum.  My chest is tight around the upper chest as well. Do you have heartburn? I know that may cause similar symptoms. Anyway if all your tests have come back negative. . Then you are fine!. The symptoms can be scary and uncomfortable but very manageable especially with good tests result to back it up to give you that peace of mind. Get well soon Ash.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dannya931

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »
I've  had similar rib/sternum pain. Also joint and muscle pain. Found out today that I came back positive for Rocky Mountain spotted fever. So if your still having rib /sternum pain get tested for tick diseases.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
OP, how are you now? I'm going through the same exact issue!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share