Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Derealization, maybe?  (Read 235 times)

Offline will402

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Derealization, maybe?
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Hi all, sorry but I have a real issue with finding out why I feel so strange right now and I would like some help from you all.

Ive suffered anxiety all my life on and off but this time I have had some strange feelings.

I would describe it as feeling drunk, surroundings feeling just 'off' and 'strange' but certainly not unreal. I mean I know its all real but it just dont feel so right.

Especially when I am talking to someone, I am overly aware of the face to face contact and it makes me feel strange, but if I dont look people in the eye then its kind of normal.

Obviously derealisation and depersationsation i looked into alot but I dont know if its that, what do people think?

Going back on meds tomorrow for second time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doug65

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Derealization, maybe?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »
Sounds like anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:04:25 PM »
yeah, that does sound like some dissociation. Not a lot of it though. That you have to wonder if it was is a good thing. If you get the severe kind, you literally feel like things do not actually exist. Its very strange.

Depending on where in the country you are, it might be explained by vertigo. Huge low pressure storm sweeping part of the country, and the minor inner ear instability that causes can make people feel a bit off. With the severity of the drop this time, even people normally unaffected can start to get it. It'd explain a lot of the 'drunk' type feeling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaggy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:32:38 AM »
yes i get this too. i have it pretty bad right now actually. i was feeling pretty good all day then the anxiety came back and i started feeling like everything seems weird and off and looks foreign. itll come and go for me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline bodhi

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »
Yes I get it too badly and its just anxiety. Yet another bodily reaction to fear in the flight or fight mode. Everything looks like a cartoon and years ago it scared the heck out of me, now I just live with it and know what it is. The first step for getting over anxiety is not to be scared of the anxiety symptoms and to know you are still a good fine person and that everyone gets unwanted and unpleasant thoughts and feelings sometimes. Its all annoying and can be tiring, but keep seeking help and understanding and you will be great.
Bookmark and Share
Buddhism 5 Minute Introduction: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

Offline raggamuffin

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:14:20 AM »
With enough stress and anxiety and fear and worry your brain is basically retreating in on itself. Living with anxiety isn't living in the real world as it is. You live in a paranoid and fearful world that you're creating for yourself. By conjuring up all sorts of  worst case situations and "what if's" and constantly focusing on the negative and downright scary.

Derealization/Disassociation/Dizziness etc. seems to be the mind's way of retreating from the excessive worries and stresses an anxious person puts the mind through on a daily basis. It's a sad state of affairs but it stands to reason this would happen. If you stress so much that you're causing physical pains in your body, why wouldn't your mind try and retreat from it all?

That giddy/drunken/lightheaded feeling is quite a common symptom with anxiety. But don't let it add to the worries. Just let it be, adding more stress will prolong it or make it feel worse. It'll kick in the fight or flight response if you fear it. When the mind and body senses danger you'll flood your system with adrenaline and various other chemicals we use to survive. Just let it be, don't let your brain fly at 100 mph with terrifying thoughts and fears.

yes it's not the nicest sensation, but it's not the worst either. Feeling a bit drunk for free? Enjoy it. That's right, enjoy yourself enjoy your life. let these symptoms come and go however many times in the day they feel like. If they stick around for days, weeks, months? So be it. i've had symptoms last over a year.

Acknowledge the symptom but don't rise to it. Gradually your body will realize it's not in danger. Don't feed the fears and worries and you won't feed your anxiety. Remember it's not in control of you, you're in control of it (the anxiety).

Ed
Bookmark and Share
Feel free to add me on the book of faces - "Ed Raggamuffin Foulds"

Offline Kmj023

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »
Yes I've had that to happen. I had it last week for a while and I looked it up and it's the mind wanting to take a break. A bad break cause it's obvious just on an over haul load. I got my mind off of it and then it went away.  They say the best thing to do is to just watch tv and pay no attention to it. Like the above person said, it's our body's way of coping. We need to trust our bodies. That's the only cure there is, to not fear the weird symptoms!
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline will402

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 02:59:48 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Yeah its just something which got me worried because i'm used to anxiety, but this specific feeling is very new and persistant.

Gotta try and accept it!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: