Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Escitalopram/Lexapro question  (Read 415 times)

Offline jalapeno

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Escitalopram/Lexapro question
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:39:50 PM »
just curious- I started to finally take my 5mg dose of Escitalopram on June 1st and had a huge anxiety attack after taking it.... how long did it take for your Lexapro/Excitalopram to kick in and calm you down (days, weeks, months, etc)?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Escitalopram/Lexapro question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »
Jalapeno, typically it takes four to six weeks for an SSRI to start calming you.   Sometimes, it can be  less.  You can expect to be a bit jittery when you first start taking an SSRI.  Usually, your doctor will prescribe an anxiolytic, like klonopin or xanax to calm you down during that introduction time.

5 mgs. of Lexapro is a very minimal amount, so you should have very little side effects from that dosage.

Wishing you peace and calm as you ecover,

Best,

Julie

Bookmark and Share

Offline t-panic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
Hi Jalapeno,

I just started taking Celexa (Citalopram) exactly three weeks ago now. I too started with a 5mg dose for the first week and now I'm up to 10mg. I don't know if it is the drug working but I have started to feel a whole lot better. The first week was the hardest because I was nervous about taking it and I thought it was making me feel worse. Honestly that was all in my head. These SSRI's are very well tolerated and I do trust my doctor. It will take 4 - 6 weeks to really have any therapeutic effect but I feel better already just knowing that it is not harming me too be taking it. I am still focusing on CBT through self help books and seeing a counselor which is vital to success with Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia. I bet in about a week or so you will start feeling a little less anxious and start pushing yourself to do the things you may have a hard time doing now.

Good Luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:47:34 AM »
Hi Jalapeno, - I totally agree with Julie:

-
Jalapeno, typically it takes four to six weeks for an SSRI to start calming you.   Sometimes, it can be  less.  You can expect to be a bit jittery when you first start taking an SSRI.  Usually, your doctor will prescribe an anxiolytic, like klonopin or xanax to calm you down during that introduction time.

5 mgs. of Lexapro is a very minimal amount, so you should have very little side effects from that dosage.

I , like you, am very sensitive to 'normal' dosage - and I when I started on Prozac or any other medication, I would have to take the lowest dose, and even with that dose I have some anxiety, I have found many people with our condition to be very sensitive to ANY Medications... 

So, hang in there, the "jittery feelings" will soon subside in a few days and I found Lexapro/Celexa to be well tolerated and quick acting!

Wishing you the best!   Hang in there!    :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline danilan80

• Danigirl
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:42:27 PM »
I have taken Lexapro 3 different times. My GAD, panic and depression come in cycles so I can be off meds for awhile (years), then start up again when I feel things getting bad. When I first start taking it everything gets worse for a couple weeks. I take Xanax and a sleep med as needed until the meds get into my system fully and start to work. That being said, in about 4 weeks my anxiety is almost totally gone, and I have little to no panic attacks on Lexapro. Takes a little longer to kick the depression. About 6 to 8 weeks for that. But it definately helps me. U will learn with a little tweeking what dosage works best for u and what time of the day to take it is best. I get too tired and void of feeling with any dosage of Lex higher than 15 mg. I usually take it at night because for me it made me a bit drowsy the first few hours after taking it. I have been on quite a few different meds, and I have to say Lexapro has been the best and most effective one. Take care and good luck!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jalapeno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 11:14:04 PM »
I have taken Lexapro 3 different times. My GAD, panic and depression come in cycles so I can be off meds for awhile (years), then start up again when I feel things getting bad. When I first start taking it everything gets worse for a couple weeks. I take Xanax and a sleep med as needed until the meds get into my system fully and start to work. That being said, in about 4 weeks my anxiety is almost totally gone, and I have little to no panic attacks on Lexapro. Takes a little longer to kick the depression. About 6 to 8 weeks for that. But it definately helps me. U will learn with a little tweeking what dosage works best for u and what time of the day to take it is best. I get too tired and void of feeling with any dosage of Lex higher than 15 mg. I usually take it at night because for me it made me a bit drowsy the first few hours after taking it. I have been on quite a few different meds, and I have to say Lexapro has been the best and most effective one. Take care and good luck!!

That was extremely helpful, thank you so much! I'm starting it for my depression first (5mg so far) and I have xanax for emergencies only- like super severe anxiety attacks (haven't taken that yet).
I was told to take it at night- and so far it's basically knocked me out by around midnight (I take it at 10:15).
I hope my panic attacks stop >.<
How are you doing now??
Bookmark and Share

Offline jalapeno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 11:24:20 PM »

Wishing you peace and calm as you ecover,

Best,

Julie

Thank you Julie! I was trying to figure out how long until I should expect to see improvement.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jalapeno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 11:47:13 PM »
Hi Jalapeno,

I just started taking Celexa (Citalopram) exactly three weeks ago now. I too started with a 5mg dose for the first week and now I'm up to 10mg. I don't know if it is the drug working but I have started to feel a whole lot better. The first week was the hardest because I was nervous about taking it and I thought it was making me feel worse. Honestly that was all in my head. These SSRI's are very well tolerated and I do trust my doctor. It will take 4 - 6 weeks to really have any therapeutic effect but I feel better already just knowing that it is not harming me too be taking it. I am still focusing on CBT through self help books and seeing a counselor which is vital to success with Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia. I bet in about a week or so you will start feeling a little less anxious and start pushing yourself to do the things you may have a hard time doing now.

Good Luck.

I've purchased a few books that I'm working through now- they're workbooks that help teach CBT. I'm hoping they do help. I'm also seeing a therapist for the first time, again, next wednesday. I'm glad to hear/read that you feel better now!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jalapeno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 11:53:49 PM »
Hi Jalapeno, - I totally agree with Julie:

-

I , like you, am very sensitive to 'normal' dosage - and I when I started on Prozac or any other medication, I would have to take the lowest dose, and even with that dose I have some anxiety, I have found many people with our condition to be very sensitive to ANY Medications... 

So, hang in there, the "jittery feelings" will soon subside in a few days and I found Lexapro/Celexa to be well tolerated and quick acting!

Wishing you the best!   Hang in there!    :grinning-smiley-003:

Thank you so much. My doctor said I'm sensitive to meds too/:
Are your meds working well for you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline dlsharpe75

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 08:03:14 PM »
July of 2013 I began taking 10mg of Lexapro and the worst side effective had was excess sweating...I take it for GAD...after two weeks I had a pretty intense panic attack and contacted my doctor who upped my dosage to 20 mg and I have to say it's been the best thing that's ever happened to me....I can't remember when I last had a panic attack and occasionally rarely I will feel a little anxiety try to come to surface but I guess the meds in my system kick in and it goes away quickly.  My MD did also give me Xanax to help with any side effects but I do take my Lexapro and Xanax at night together...best thing ever happened to me...my only regret!  I didn't do it sooner!  Best of luck and hope it works of you....give it time and keep telling yourself that you can do it!
Bookmark and Share