Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety? Scary symptoms and confusion  (Read 222 times)

Offline Jucocon

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety? Scary symptoms and confusion
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:15:55 PM »
I'm happy to have found this message board.   Iím 34 year old male.  Married with two great and healthy kids and a good job.  Could stand to lose a few pounds, but no real health problems ó until the last few weeks.  I've been looking for an outlet like this since this began.   I've recently been having a number of terrifying symptoms, and have had trouble nailing down precisely what is wrong and what I can do to get better. 

It started about three months ago.  I injured my neck playing sports.  Nothing too severe I thought, but it was sore for weeks and it wasn't really getting better.  I had seen my GP, who had referred me to a physiatrist for treatment.  As I was going through this process, I began to notice that I was getting dizzier and dizzier each day to the point of feeling nauseous.  Three months in it seemed odd, so the physiatrist sent me for a MRA scan of the blood vessels in my neck to ensure the blood flow there was proper.  The results came back "abnormal," and that's when everything went haywire.  I was scheduled for follow up testing, but began to worry and stress about what was wrong.  A vertebral dissection was discussed.       

As I was going through this testing, I began to have anxiety related symptoms.  My heart would flutter -- a lot.  It was most prevalent at night and it was extreme.  If I were to come close to falling asleep, I would literally be jolted up out of bed by what would feel like a skip or jump of my heart.  As these symptoms were starting, I received GOOD news about my neck exam, and nothing is wrong there.  I figured everything would stabilize on its own from there.

It did not.  In fact, it went in the opposite direction.  After receiving GOOD news, all sorts of additional symptoms began to follow.  My stomach felt upset; I had shooting pains in the chest; the chest fluttering became even worse; my toes seemed to become red/purple; I began to startle easily, I would have long stretches where I would have a difficult time breathing; I would feel generally weak and achy about my body.  The heart symptoms, in particular, became so bad I literally began to fear going to sleep because my heart would "skip" or "jolt" me back awake and I didnít want to feel that.

After a particularly bad night last week, I went to the ER.  They did an EKG, which came back normal.  However, my blood work showed elevated ďd-dimerĒ levels (which I understand to correlate to blood clotting; hospital explained that 0.0-0.4 is normal.  They took my blood twice and it was 0.7 the first time and 0.5 the second).  The ER took a CTA of my chest, which again came back normal.

I followed up with my GP again, and he sent me for an echo and a 24 hour holter.  I received the results of the echo today, and again came back normal.  (The holter monitor results are not in yet.)  He also gave me Xanax to take operating under the assumption it could be anxiety related.

Today is the worst Iíve felt and I have no idea why.  All the symptoms I mentioned above are operating at full force.  Itís confusing because Iíve received nothing but positive news every step of the way and have no real stress or anxiety in my life that rises to any substantial level.  Yet, I tried to lay down for a nap before, and my heart was fluttering, felt like it was stopping and it is continuing as I write at this time.  In fact, despite the Xanax, my heart is fluttering more now than it ever has.  And it has been happening more during the day than just at night. 

Iím concerned that maybe this isnít anxiety, but canít figure out what to do.  At this point just waiting for the holter results to come back and then figure out a treatment plan with my GP. 

Basically just concerned.  Feel very isolated.  Like people donít understand what Iím going through and why I canít just snap out of it and ďjust stop worrying.Ē   The issue is, I donít feel like Iím worrying!  I feel like it could be a heart related issue that just hasnít been fully unearthed yet..

Any comments would be appreciated.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Milo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:52:57 PM »
Bookmark and Share

Online Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety? Scary symptoms and confusion
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 06:06:51 PM »
The thing you call "heart fluttering" is actually acid reflux from your stomach. It scared the hell out of me before I figured that out. Using antacids has drastically reduced its occurrence. You should give it a try; even if it doesnt help, it can't hurt you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »
Milo, Wow.  Big help you are...  It get's better.  I've been to the peak of anxiety with day long panic attacks.  I am better, not back to normal but way better.  It's hard work, but you do get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bodhi

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 08:45:46 PM »
I recommend doing TEA Forms http://www.dailystrength.org/groups/anxiety-and-positive-thinking-and-choices/news/view/1478155 from the book http://www.tao3.com/index.html which continue to help me. Many people on this forum say TEA Forms  actually cured them.

Also "Calculating the Probability of Danger" which made me realize the for all my worst fears I realistically have a 99% chance of being just fine. Check out page 6: http://www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/files/Managing_Obsessions.pdf

Also, be sure to read the success stories part of this forum: http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/board,81.0.html
Bookmark and Share
Buddhism 5 Minute Introduction: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

Offline Milo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
I was wrong in saying that Cognative Behavior Therapy doesnt work.  Just because it hasnt worked for me doesnt mean it hasnt for someone else. 

I tried to give OP reality, well my reality, which is all I can offer. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:50:06 AM »
Jucocon, first of all, I'm sorry you are experiencing so many symptoms and hope you feel better soon.
I'm not a doctor, but your description of symptoms without a trigger made me
wonder if you are dealing with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, of GAD.

I've dealt with if for 5 months.  I don't have a lot of the physical symptoms but many people do.
GAD is basically ongoing stress 24/7 that comes on without a trigger.  It could be a constant sense of dread,
or you could be worried about certain things.  I experience GAD, even though things are going fine in my life.

If your psychiatrist does thing it could be GAD, there are various meds and therapies to treat it.  I hope thats
helpful.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: