Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hello, anyone else suffer from social anxiety??  (Read 76 times)

Offline VBFear

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello, anyone else suffer from social anxiety??
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:51:11 PM »
Hi!  I think this is how this works... My name is Laura and I'm 29 years old and from Virginia Beach.  My husband is in the Navy and we only settled in around March.  It's pretty hard not knowing anyone in the area, but we got a puppy named Arly who is slowly helping me meet people!  I generally find talking to people a lot easier with him around because he deflects a lot of attention!  I sought out this forum to find other people going through the same kinds of things (as I suspect most all of us have!) and to find out more about potential treatments.  For fun, I make jewelry - I worked in a craft store and taught small classes for the last four years (which wasn't easy, with my fears) so if anyone is thinking about taking it up or has basic questions, feel free to drop me a line.  I'm really shy with initiating conversations but I'm always receptive.  Anyway, I hope to get to know a lot of you and I'll see you around the forums!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jessicaaa

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Energetic
    Energetic
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello, anyone else suffer from social anxiety??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:35:16 PM »
Hey Laura, small world lol I live in vb too! my finance is also navy!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 05:17:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline silverlilly1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »
I'm new, too.  Pretty sure I'm the same way, in a mild form.  Can act on stage, can perform physically, can teach, can even keep going with a conversation once started, but am extremely nervous (fear of how they will react/rejection) about starting a conversation when I don't know people, or making myself the center of attention when I am unsure what my role is.  I won't even answer the phone if it's my husband's family, because I have no clue what to say to them, and I get a bit nervous, so it's easier to hand the still-ringing phone over to him.  HATE making calls to people who aren't good friends.  And I have so much trouble understanding my role in interactions with other peoples' kids that I act standoffish, even though I enjoy kids' company.

While that doesn't help you much, I know how feel, and maybe that helps a bit.  And I'd be happy to talk with you sometime.
Bookmark and Share