Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Colonoscopy at End of the Month--scared of colon cancer  (Read 347 times)

Offline nabila12

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Colonoscopy at End of the Month--scared of colon cancer
« on: June 02, 2014, 06:41:18 PM »
I have been dealing with iron deficiency anemia since August 2012 and lost 50 lbs without trying, though the weight loss episodes all seemed strongly correlated with periods of anxiety and this is not the first time I have lost large amounts of weight due to anxiety. My GI agreed with me that a colonoscopy for peace of mind would be a good idea, but because of the medications I take (he didn't say which ones), I have to have a deeper kind of sedation than usual (it is called diprovan). Because of this, the earliest I can get in is June 27. In the meantime, my husband and I have a trip to New York planned and I don't want to
ruin the trip for the both of us worrying about colon cancer as I have since August 2012. On a weird side note, on my latest blood work done just last week, my ferritin and iron levels were the best they have been since August 2012, but my hemoglobin and hematocrit were low again after months of being normal. I do take iron supplements. Sorry, this became kind of rambly, I just needed a place to share my anxiety, as my poor husband and family members are sick of hearing about it.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Re: Colonoscopy at End of the Month--scared of colon cancer
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 09:49:42 PM »
Could this be because of your period? How old are you? I truly think if you had CC for 2 years you would be very ill right now. I mean if the CC was advanced enough to cause anemia then by now it would have either. Amused a severe blockage, bleeding, extreme pain, nausea and vomiting, extreme weight loss, extreme fatigue. I have a very hard time believing this has anything to do with your colon. But you are certainly going the right thing by getting the scope. I'm 27 and had one in April! It really healed cure mu extreme CC fear and anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 11:20:56 PM »
Hey Lindsay--thanks for your post. I know it isn't my period because they aren't heavy and even when I was taking my birth control pills so that I had a period every four months, I was still anemic. I am 34, by the way. My GI essentially said what you did, that it would be almost unheard of for someone to live with advanced colon cancer for two years untreated and not be really sick or even still around.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 07:18:12 AM »
I am confident you will be fine. Having this done will put your mind at ease. I know exactly how you feel about being full of anxiety and trying to enjoy a vacation. I had my GI appointment in January and she told me because of my symptoms I needed a colonoscopy. That's not what I wanted to hear at all. I was hoping she would say "eh your 26 you have had 4 children your bleeding is hemorrhoids." I was do upset because my husband and I were taking s trip to Mexico in March. She wanted to do my scopes in February and I just couldn't do it. I feared I would be diagnosed with CC and it would ruin our vacation so I put it off. I will admit I had high anxiety the whole trip but we still had fun. I wish I would have just had the scope in February because my anxiety would have been gone once I knew I was fine.
I say go on your trip and enjoy it.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 08:59:57 AM »
At 34, your risk is extremely low. I have had multiple colonoscopy's and they all have been a
piece of cake. I am sure you will be fine and good luck.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »
I went thru this. I have low iron, my ferritin is 3. It has always been kind of low. 6 years ago was 6. My hemoglobine is 11.8 and it should be at least 12. I did get a colonoscopy done a couple of weeks ago for peace of mind and it was all clean! I had a vaginal u/s that only showed 3 cysts in my ovary. My hornones are all ok too. I am getting iron IV infusions because I can't tolerate oral iron due to my IC (painful bladder syndrome). I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will increase my ferritin, iron, and hemoglobin.

Do you have any symptoms of anemia?  I have shortness of breath and headaches but my hematologist told me it's not due to my low ferritin.
Good luck at your age you can be 99% sure you don't have CC. I am 37 BTW.

Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
Marc--Thank You!

Leah--Even though my HGB is 11.3, I haven't been having any symptoms of anemia. There for awhile, I had a bunch of symptoms, like being really cold all the time, angular chelitis (sp?), etc., but feel fine now. I am sorry you have to have to have a blood transfusion. My ferritin was 7 when my anemia was first discovered in August 2012, but was 35 as of May 23! I was elated!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »
Marc--Thank You!

Leah--Even though my HGB is 11.3, I haven't been having any symptoms of anemia. There for awhile, I had a bunch of symptoms, like being really cold all the time, angular chelitis (sp?), etc., but feel fine now. I am sorry you have to have to have a blood transfusion. My ferritin was 7 when my anemia was first discovered in August 2012, but was 35 as of May 23! I was elated!!

Did you ever experienced shortness of breath?

what bard of supplement are you taking and how much a day?
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »
No, I never experienced shortness of breath. I take Vitron-C, on the advice of someone from this forum who said her hematologist recommended it. I am taking 65mg twice daily.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »
Hi everybody--quick update. I got the results of my gastric emptying scan and it seems my stomach is working really slowly, in fancy terms, I have a condition called gastroparesis. My GI thinks that is what has been causing the nausea and vomiting I have been experiencing for the past six months. I will take a medication called Reglan for a month and see if that "cures" it. Now I just have to wait on the edge of my seat for my colonoscopy and the real moment of truth.
Bookmark and Share

Offline olethros

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 11:24:25 PM »
My mom has the same problem - the gastroparesis thing. She definitely has plenty of those symptoms as well. I know waiting for the colonoscopy results is scary but hang in there. I have a huge fear of CC ... have for some time, so I definitely understand that anxiety involved. Look forward to hearing good results soon. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 07:41:41 AM »
Thanks, Olethros! :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: