Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Really scary symptoms  (Read 596 times)

Offline Dukk

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Really scary symptoms
« on: June 01, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
I am sorry this is my first post on here but I'm freaking out and cannot sleep.

This may be gross to someone so I apologise.

For about a year I've had weird problems when pooping. Like I would finish emptying my bowels but it doesn't really feel like I'm done. Also I have mucus in my stool and it very often comes out narrow. I would sometimes have diarrhea, other times I would be constipated, but I never have normal healthy looking stool.

Today (just now) I noticed something really scary though. When I strain my anus as if I am going to defecate, something peeks out of it, and when I touch that with toilet paper, it has sensitivity (so it can't be poop).

I am really scared now because of the things I had read online. I am planning to go to the doctor but it doesn't help me right now and I cannot stop thinking about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Really scary symptoms
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:11:40 PM »
You just described me. What you have is almost certainly an internal hemorrhoid. They are very, very common. They can become annoying and in extreme cases they can even hurt, but they are rarely very serious. Occasionally if they get really irritating they will remove them surgically, but usually this is not necessary.

Your other bowel issues sound like typical IBS to me. I've had this for most of my life and what you describe is very typical of what I experience.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dukk

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply. What worries me is that I recently had blood work done and my bilirubin (all kinds) is about 50% above the norm. I had ultrasound and nothing weird came up though.

I am really afraid of CC and I fear that what peeks out of me could be a polyp or some growth. I have a polyp in my esophagus. Can that be related? I also have acid reflux and erosive esophagitis. I am receiving a treatment for that right now.

I've had all kinds of tests performed recently because I'm a terrible hypochondriac. But the only doctor I didn't see was a proctologist. Now I fear I could have CC because of what I've discovered today. I am a 26 year old male with no history of CC in the family.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caroline1902

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »
Sounds like a hemorrhoid to me.  I am now the proud owner of a few, ever since the births of my three children.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »
Hemorrhoid.

Mucus in the stool is common when sick with head-colds or anxious.

Stop playing with your anus; you'll go blind.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »
Polyps usually do not have nerves if I am not mistaken, and you said yours was sensitive, so that's very unlikely. Also, hemorrhoids are so incredibly common (and what you described is so obviously a hemorrhoid) that it's like worrying that a freckle is a parasite. With no history of CC in your family you have no real reason to worry about it at this point. Mucus is also a typical marker of IBS. Schedule an appointment if you feel you must, but not because there is any chance that it's CC, but just because they might have some suggestions for helping you avoid making your hemorrhoid worse and hopefully some information to help you manage your IBS and anxiety. Straining during a BM for instance can exacerbate the hemorrhoid and cause it to grow worse. But, like I said, they're not terribly serious, so you can take a deep breath and relax. It may be new to you, but it's nothing uncommon. They're so mundane that there's a whole section in the health department reserved just for products to treat them. Also, I'd suggest looking around the site for techniques to help you control your anxiety because that's probably your biggest problem right now. Anxiety can seriously make your IBS worse, and that in turn can make your hemorrhoids worse. Best to start by managing your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dukk

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 05:29:10 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I will have to go to a doctor, although I'm in a foreign country and don't speak the local language. I don't know what my chances of getting a colonoscopy are here either.

I hate to be a nuisance with all these fears, but recently I visited a round of doctors for a check-up (after not doing that for 4 years). They found the following problems:

FROM UP TO DOWN:
- Pharyngitis
- Chronic bronchitis
- Erosive esophagitis
- Polyp in the esophagus
- Endogastritis
- Lowered kidney

I know none of those conditions are life-threatening if treated, but I'm only 26 and the sheer AMOUNT of issues is astounding.

Like I'd mentioned, I didn't go to a proctologist or urologist. But having haemorrhoids on TOP of all the other things just sounds like someone is playing a practical joke on me.

So you're saying that if I strain when going number 2, it will make my  haemorrhoids worse? Because for at least a year, maybe more, I've been straining quite a lot because it never really felt like I was done, and by straining I could usually squeeze out a couple of small pieces. Is that even possible to have haemorrhoids for that long?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dukk

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:38:19 AM »
Oh also forgot to add the blood abnormalities from my test:

- High bilirubins - direct, indirect and the other one. If the norm is 30, I have something like 45
- Low cholesterol
- C-reactive protein on the borderline of being off
- Low creatinine
- Somewhat lowered immune system

I am going through a treatment right now but I'm panicking because of the amount of health issues I have. Now on top of that, I know that there is something wrong with my anus. What if something like CC was what is causing the blood results to be off?

My other symptom is very frequent urination. To the point that I cannot sleep at night. This may be a side effect of the medicine I'm taking, or I don't know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
Hear me out: I truly think a lot of your issues can be traced back to anxiety. It can cause different issues for different people, and it sounds like a lot of your problems can be traced back to a sensitive gastric response to anxiety. For instance, the erosive esophagus can be caused by GERD, and GERD can be caused by anxiety. Bronchitis can be caused by erosive esophagus and GERD. Slightly lowered immune response can be caused by anxiety directly. Esophagus polyp could be caused by damage to esophagus such as can be caused by GERD. IBS can be directly caused by anxiety. Hemorrhoids can be caused by straining due to IBS. Your low levels of cholesterol, proteins and so forth could be caused by IBS. So even though it may seem like you are being smothered by tons of problems, it might actually just be one single problem: chronic anxiety. The kidney being a bit off is pretty common and not harmful if memory serves, and probably not related at all to anxiety. I'm no doctor so I can't say that you don't have other issues as well, but I can say that it sounds like many of your issues are very likely stemming from chronic anxiety, and if you can manage that better then many of your other problems will be easier to manage as well.

Back to your other questions, yeah, they can last for a year; they can last the rest of your life. But they don't necessarily have to be a big deal if you learn how to manage them. Also, the urinary issue can certainly be caused by anxiety, which I know for a fact because I have this as well. I spent a lot of money for unnecessary tests to make sure I didn't have prostate cancer, only to find out that it is a combination of my anxiety and IBS that causes the feeling of urinary urgency (especially bad at night). The same exact nerve that causes you to feel like you can't evacuate your bowels is also the one that causes you to feel like your bladder is full. There is a proven statistically higher instance of this issue among men with IBS. What has helped me is maintaining good posture (seems to keep that nerve from getting aggravated), staying well hydrated, and doing what I can to manage my IBS and anxiety. I also suspect that taking vitamin B can help, though I know of no research to validate this (I only know that vitamin B is helpful in maintaining nerve health, so I figure it can't hurt). This has helped me reduce my urinary urgency to the point where it is rarely a problem anymore, with no need for medication at all. It will sometimes pop up again when my IBS is bad, but otherwise it's rarely an issue at all anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »
Oh also forgot to add the blood abnormalities from my test:

- High bilirubins - direct, indirect and the other one. If the norm is 30, I have something like 45
- Low cholesterol
- C-reactive protein on the borderline of being off
- Low creatinine
- Somewhat lowered immune system

I am going through a treatment right now but I'm panicking because of the amount of health issues I have. Now on top of that, I know that there is something wrong with my anus. What if something like CC was what is causing the blood results to be off?

My other symptom is very frequent urination. To the point that I cannot sleep at night. This may be a side effect of the medicine I'm taking, or I don't know.

Without looking at you I wonder if you are a thin guy...or someone who doesn't really eat right.  That would explain much of your blood work to me.  As for slightly elevated bilirubin without elevated LFTs or other signs of liver disease it's often a disease of bilirubin metabolism and problems with your gall bladder.  I wonder do you have pain after eating in the abdomen?  Things like Gilbert's syndrome are very common 5% of the population has that.  Gall bladder issues are also very common.  Because of your age and the fact that you don't have an anemia or elevated liver enzymes that makes the bad causes much less likely.  Also, it could be a transient thing with you.  I would repeat the blood work in a few weeks, and if it didn't normalize I would work it up with a gastroenterologist.  Not because I think it's anything bad because I don't, but because it's the prudent thing to do especially for your mental health.  I would have a chat with your doc to see what he has to say about these issues you have presented.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Dukk

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »
Wow, thanks a lot for your replies. This genuinely helped. Tomorrow I'm going to try and seek out a proctologist and hopefully it's just haemorrhoids. I live in a really small town and don't know if there is a proctologist here.

I am indeed a skinny guy. For the past few years I've been trying my best to eat healthy, but at the same time I had some pretty bad habits like eating right before going to bed or eating tons of bread. Then at some point I started taking really long poops and was straining my bowels to make sure that every last drop escaped. It almost became an obsession of a sorts. I had no idea straining was something I shouldn't do.

I've realised that most of my health problems were related to stress and anxiety so I'm working on changing myself to become less angry, irritable, tense and anxious. The last one is tough because it's something I cannot easily control. I stop myself from becoming angry or annoyed, but it's more difficult to control anxiety. All these "what if" questions...

I generally trust doctors so I hope I can find a proctologist tomorrow.

Thanks again for your advice.
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 06:05:20 PM »
Wow, thanks a lot for your replies. This genuinely helped. Tomorrow I'm going to try and seek out a proctologist and hopefully it's just haemorrhoids. I live in a really small town and don't know if there is a proctologist here.

I am indeed a skinny guy. For the past few years I've been trying my best to eat healthy, but at the same time I had some pretty bad habits like eating right before going to bed or eating tons of bread. Then at some point I started taking really long poops and was straining my bowels to make sure that every last drop escaped. It almost became an obsession of a sorts. I had no idea straining was something I shouldn't do.

I've realised that most of my health problems were related to stress and anxiety so I'm working on changing myself to become less angry, irritable, tense and anxious. The last one is tough because it's something I cannot easily control. I stop myself from becoming angry or annoyed, but it's more difficult to control anxiety. All these "what if" questions...

I generally trust doctors so I hope I can find a proctologist tomorrow.

Thanks again for your advice.
  I could have almost predicted that by your labs.  That explains much.  Low cholesterol, low creatinine, etc.  And yes, I truly believe what you described is merely a hemorrhoid.  I see no correlation to what you see rectally and your labs.  The two don't go together.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 06:18:36 PM »
I'm not surprised that you're skinny, either, because I have similar issues and I am thin as a rail and always have been. When you can't digest food properly due to being so anxious that your stomach and guts are in a twist, then it's hard to put on weight and easy to get deficiencies in your diet.

Multivitamins may be a waste of money for most people, but for me they are just insurance against dietary deficiencies. That said, I only take 1/2 tablet a day each of men's multivitamin, B12 complex, and zinc, and also a vitamin D3 gelcap. Occasionally I'll take 1/2 of an iron supplement tablet too, since my iron tends to run a little low and there's none in the men's multivitamins, but I don't take this often because high iron can be a bigger problem.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dukk

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 06:20:14 PM »
Since my diet is so limited due to the esophagitis, I think I may have to take vitamins.

I need to wait for some burocratic procedure to finish before I can see a doctor (about a week). I hope it's ok to wait that long.

My symtoms have subsided more or less too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dukk

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »
Ok I finally got a doctor's appointment for Friday. But here are the problems:

1. I am in France and I don't speak good French

2. The proctologist is a woman

I feel scared and anxious right now because I'm afraid they will find something bad and also I'm anticipating the awkwardness because of the doctor's gender. I wrote my symptoms down in French on an iPad and I plan to bring that to show to them.

I cannot stop thinking about this.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: