Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: EXTREME fear over my sons symptoms!! Brain Tumor? BEGGING you to read.  (Read 868 times)

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
My 7 (8 next month) has recently been complaining of headaches. They are not daily but one of the firsts ones was in April after spinning fast in a chair. He got a really bad headache. It happened again after being spun on a park ride. Now these headaches just come on and tonight it was accompanied by nausea and he almost vomited. He did play outside all day in the head but he had a headache yesterday too? I'm absolutely TERRIFIED he could have a brain tumor. I'm absolutely ill over this thought. I want to break down and cry. I feel like taking him to the children's ER tonight. I have read to many stores of children with BTs and they get headaches accompanied with stomach pain. I can't take this anxiety. I seriously think I might have a panic attack. I want to be strong for him and not show him I'm worried. He has health anxiety already. Should we go to the ER. I know our ER will do a CT scan. I have HA over myself however when it comes to my children it's worse. I seriously make my self sick. My children are my world. This is my first born son. My first baby. Please someone help me. If you could hear my voice right now I would be screaming HELP.
Bookmark and Share

Offline InTheMoment

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
DEEP BREATH!!!

It's very common for headaches to be associated with nausea when they're migraines -- and even children can get migraines. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I got migraines at that age.  My friend's daughter did as well.  Severe headaches coupled with nausea.  They were absolutely awful, but harmless.  Do take him to the doctor, because he may need a prescription painkiller as I did to get through them.  But don't panic, and I highly doubt the ER is necessary.  It's very, very unlikely to be a brain tumor. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It sounds like migraines to me.  My daughter has suffered with them since she was 4.  That's exactly what happens to her.  She feels crappy for a few days, then gets a bad one with vomiting and then is better until the next one.

The first time she had one, we took her to the ER because she was screaming in pain, they did a cat scan because she presented with a certain symptom that can indicate a brain tumor but she's just fine.  Your son doesn't have this symptom and no I won't tell you because it will make it so much worse.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My dad had a brain tumor and he never had a headache nor stomach pain/nausea. These symptoms are much more likely to indicate much more mundane issues. It is not uncommon for heat to bring on migraines with both nausea and headaches. Heat can even cause this in people who don't have migraines. Give him cold water to sip, have him rest in a dark room and he should recover just fine. I agree that you should set up an appointment with his regular doctor just to address your concerns and see if there is something you can do to help prevent it from happening again, but I do not think an ER visit will do any good (and may do more harm if it aggravates his HA).

Also, kids really pick up on our anxieties. I know it's hard, but try to be calm and reassuring when you're in his presence. He will pick up your anxiety and it will exacerbate his own HA. Headaches and nausea are both very common, and brain tumors truly are not. This will pass.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caroline1902

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My young daughter had and still has lots of headaches.  I also worried like crazy but I took her to the pediatrician and it was nothing. 

Believe it or not, kids at that age can have stress-related head-aches and some are just prone to them. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline gaucho16

• gaucho
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
are you sure he's not just dehydrated?
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
I grew up with headaches as part of daily life for me. I'd carry Tylenol with me from elementary school until I graduated high school. Dr never could say why I kept getting headaches, but I would get em at least once or twice a week. Some would be bad enough to make me vomit. So I came to accept them as normal. Looking back, I think they were stress related. After I finished high school, and before I started college, I rarely had a headache at all.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
Thank you so much for your replies. He slept well and I slept right beside him. He woke up this morning with a sore throat and after putting 2 and 2 together I think he has strep throat. He has had it twice before both during early summer and same symptoms. Both times he had the exact symptoms and no fever (really weird) I'm praying for a strep verdict. Please God let this be strep. I will turn stop worrying. The headaches on occasion don't bother me it's the headache and nausea last night that sent me over the edge.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
Well he did not have strep :( I'm back to panic. He woke up with th headache too which scares the ***** out of me. It's gone now. The only other thing it could have been was he was outside all day long in the heat yesterday and it was a hot day (87 degrees) it could have been minor heat exhaustion. I just don't like the combo of head pain and nausea.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
My suggestion (you may not like) is that you find a therapist to help you with your HA and possible anxiety issues.

Your boy will be fine if you can relax, trust nature and discard the health hype out there. He needs you to be strong, confident, optimistic, calm, and loving. Be sure he drinks enough, is not out in the heat too long. Maybe you can enjoy going to the library together.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 95
    • Poke This Member
The only other thing it could have been was he was outside all day long in the heat yesterday and it was a hot day (87 degrees) it could have been minor heat exhaustion.

Lindsay, with all due respect, this seems to be a very likely culprit of your son's headache and nausea. So often, we love to get ahead of ourselves to the absolute worst case scenario, but in this case there seems to be a quite obvious reason.

I agree with tinam—it's time for you to get on top of some of these fears. There's no reason they need to be ruling your life like they are.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is he complaining to you about his symptoms or are you asking him?
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
I was drilling him with questions? He has only complained of a headache twice. Both after being spun fast. That does scare me however I also know motion sickness and spinning can cause headache and he might be sensitive to motion. He was 100% fine yesterday and he was fine this morning and went to school. I think I over reacted but I am still a little concerned.

About seeking help for my anxiety I know I need to do it. I really do I just don't think it will help me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Seeking help for your anxiety will help both you and your family.  Your constant fears are robbing you all of a happy life.  Instead of analyzing your stool and your son's occasional headaches you could be out playing with your kids and having fun.  Personally, I don't like kids very much, but you obviously love your children.  If not for yourself then do it for them, so you can be the best mom you can be and they can have the best childhood possible.  Therapy and medication can work wonders...don't write them off without giving it a shot.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: