Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does medication help  (Read 191 times)

Offline Feelingfragile

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does medication help
« on: June 01, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »
I have had anxiety issues tying in with health/sleep anxiety for just less then a year now. It has gotten a lot worse over past few months and i find myself wandering if medication would help. I mean the panic attacks and feeling like someone is choking me on a weekly basis is starting to get old. It was mentioned by my gp a little while ago as something to think about but it's been something I wanted to avoid.

Not really sure why I feel it is something to be avoided, guess I don't like the idea of getting hooked on something or even worse, if it alters my personality somehow. I say that pretty much in total ignorance, im not even sure what medication is used to treat symptoms like mine.

So just curious to hear off people.  What medication is used to treat anxiety? Are there long term effects I should take in to account?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does medication help
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:42:57 PM »
You will definitely get differing opinions on this, because everyone has different experiences. I'm hypervigilant when it comes to medications and potential side effects so there aren't many anxiety-inhibiting medications I can take without freaking out completely (I've had some genuinely terrifying reactions to a few, and that has probably distorted my perception of the side effects of others I've tried since). About the only one I can use to help me with anxiety is Valium, and that only in very small doses. Since it can be potentially addicting, it can be hard to get a prescription for it. For some people other medications are very effective.

My doctors have always wanted to prescribe them as a first resort for me, and that always bugs me. I think other methods should be tried first, and then if they are not sufficient then medications should be considered. But for some people they certainly seem to do a great deal of good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jayorz128

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:26:52 PM »
I've been on Lexapro for about a week and so far I've been feeling good. I am still hyper focused on my health but my anxious thoughts are not coming as much as they had been. I also have not been getting too many side effects just a headache or too and some slight nausea. I know that it doesn't always work for everyone. Sometimes it takes people a few different tries at different medications to find the right one. Just give it a try the worst that will happen is that it won't work. It took me a while to convince myself to take it because there is a stigma to taking antidepressants. But my doctor gave me great advice, he told me that if there was something wrong with my heart, lungs, or any other organ I would probably take the medication he gave me. So then why if there is something wrong with my brain why wouldn't I do the same thing. It literally took me close to 6 months to convince myself to take it and so far I am really glad I decided to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »
It varies so much from person to person, but most people I know have had some sort of success with medications.  I would just recommend that if you're given a benzo, take it on an as-needed basis rather than daily unless your doctor really thinks you need it that often.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
They do for me.  I take Celexa and have xanax as needed.  I've tried 3 times to stop and I've come to the realization that I can't live without them.  I was soooo scared to take them but once I settled into them, I realized that it was so worth it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Want to be happy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »
I ve been taking lexapro for3 months and feel no different. I tried buspar and also felt no different.  Any suggestions would be appreciated
Bookmark and Share

Offline jayorz128

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:45:29 PM »
If a certain medication isn't working you should talk to the doctor who prescribed it to you and get another medication to try. There is something out there that should give you some relief.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Want to be happy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 07:11:49 PM »
Any suggestions if lexapro doesn't work?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: