Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Neurophobes out there, do any of you experience this?  (Read 253 times)

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Neurophobes out there, do any of you experience this?
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:01:31 PM »
I won't bother with a long preface; here's what I'm experiencing: stabbing joint pain, muscle ache, and twitching that varies in intensity. Arms are most powerfully affected with pain. Legs twitch the most. Twitching varies from nearly non-existent to easily hundreds a minute. I've noticed I clench my jaw a lot and trip over my words. I'm convinced that part is anxiety-related, but the constant joint pain and muscle ache I can't explain well. I try very hard to maintain relaxation throughout my arms.

Does anyone else experience this? It sounds a bit like me as fibro, but the possibility of something worse does concern me. My GP believes I have somatoform disorder/OCD/GAD. In fact every doctor I've seen believes I have severe anxiety. I feel like they dismiss my problems, even if it is just anxiety and it is frustrating. According to a massive amount of bloodwork, an EMG, 4 chest x-rays, a chest CT, 2 MRIs, 1 cspine MRI, a head CT, 15 ERs, 2 GPs, and a neurologist I am the epitome of health. And yet I'm in pain. My initial diagnosis was paresthesia that I've since stopped having. Later, 'nerve hyperexcitability', which is vague and not exactly satisfactory. The neurologist's words were, 'nothing nasty' and 'doesn't develop into anything worse'.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
Re: Neurophobes out there, do any of you experience this?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 06:09:29 PM »
Also my hands itch from whatever it is I presume is causing the pain and I've now had two instances of palpitations, that I had never had before, and once my heart felt like it stopped. I wasn't panicking during those episodes and I was unable to breathe/move when it felt like it had stopped. That only lasted a second or two.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:16:36 PM »
Yeah, I actually do know what you mean. I get shooting/stabbing pain in my arms and hands sometimes. I was always worried about cardiac problems, but one day I went in for a massage and explained my issue to the massage therapist. She massaged an area by my chest/neck/pectoral muscles and I could feel the pain throbbing down my arm as she worked. After working on it for a while the pain was gone and it didn't come back for a month. She said it's the way I carry tension in my chest that causes that. I had lots of massage therapists try working on my back and shoulder to relieve it but that never worked, but working on the area around my chest/neck really did.

Also I occasionally get those leg twitches, especially when the anxiety gets really bad. It usually goes away after a day or two once I get my anxiety under control a bit.

I'd strongly suggest trying to get therapeutic massage to help with the pain. It can be expensive, but sometime insurance will cover it. Also, if there is a massage school nearby they usually offer very inexpensive massages (they can be hit or miss on quality, but usually even a mediocre massage is much better than nothing).

Based on your additional input, though, you might consider seeing your Dr. just to get the "all-clear." An echocardiogram will tell if you've had any issues recently, but most likely it's just tension causing this. The itching hands sounds pretty typical of a pinched nerve caused by anxiety-induced tension, but getting the all-clear from your doctor will definitely help you relax about any possibility of cardiac issues.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:22:41 PM »
Boy can I relate to you. I have had a prickly sensation in both of my legs for last three years. I had these sensations prior to this but they went away. I also get a surging feeling through my chest. I had a lot of blood work, MRI's, visits  to neurologists etc. and nothing could ever be found. Recently I visited another neurologist and she did even more extensive bloodwork. Apparently one inflammation test came back abnormal so now I have to see another doctor. I just wish this would all end and I could be back to my normal old self. It has been terrible.

I hope you feel well soon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »
I've actually been told numerous times to have an echocardiogram. I canceled the one I had scheduled. My BP's slightly high for my age-group (22, 130/90) and I've always had a high heartrate (100 or thereabouts, despite how this sounds I'm not overweight and my health until now has been fine). Weirdly, I never had heart-anxieties (I know, one of the few people on this board who haven't, right?). *** is my current fear, but it's subsiding as I'm starting to have symptoms not quite consistent. Plus the neurologist and EMG were fairly reassuring. I scheduled a second neuro appointment just to be safe.

My new GP said a heart problem is unlikely as it probably would've shown up on one of the four x-rays. Another doctor said there is a small probability of a condition not detected by the x-ray. Before I began twitching there was one morning when I thought I was having a heart-attack (not based in anxiety, but in symptoms displayed, like I said, never worried about my heart). For about a week following I nearly fainted (again not anxiety-based: loss of vision, limbs going numb, almost losing consciousness) twice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »
3 years? At least you can count on nothing life-threatening, right? Hopefully you'll get definitive answers soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
Shameless bump. Hoping for more replies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
Based on your update, I'm sticking to my original recommendations and suggest that you should see your Dr. It sounds like you had a spontaneous drop in blood pressure which made you almost faint. It could be caused by nutrition, fatigue/exhaustion/insomnia, stress, or it could be something else. Not to make you worry, but it would be better to get it checked and cleared. Might have low blood iron, or it might just be fatigue, but an echocardiogram will at least rule out any heart-related problems and a simple blood workup will rule out nutritional deficiencies. If you can eliminate these possibilities, then it's most likely fatigue/stress/anxiety related. It does not sound neurological at all to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jayorz128

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
When my anxiety is high my forearms and upper arms get sore and feel like I was lifting weights. I also get the same twitching sensations in my legs and back. Don't forget that anxiety affects your brain and your brain controls so when your brain is dealing with anxiety your body is going to have physical symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
I get all the above with the exception of stabbing joint pains.  I had hand/feet cramping and had much perceived weakness of the right arm...legs above my knees felt like jelly.  You know I have problems with speech issues when I am stressed out and when I don't sleep.  If I don't sleep I avoid co-workers and conversations.  I can't even argue with my wife anymore (oh the tragedy) because I get so worked up I can't talk well.  The thing with speech issues in the bad stuff tends to be with certain syllables.  The vast majority of the time once they are gone they are gone.  When it waxes and wanes...comes and goes that makes the bad stuff much less likely.  Not having problems with the same words during an attack is also a good sign.  Much of my symptoms went away after I got a good report from my neurologist.  The only thing neurologically I'm stressing about is the thing he didn't check...oh how the mind plays tricks on us. 

I think you have a few issues.  I'm fairly sure you have chronic hyperventilation syndrome.  I also believe you wear stress with physical symptoms.  Not all that fits nicely with BFS and Fibromyalgia...I think there are many sister disorders not yet named that get lumped into somatoform disorders.  What I know is this...symptoms decrease when you work on anxiety.  They might not completely leave you but should significantly improve.  I am 99.9% sure that you don't have anything that is life threatening, but I'm 100% sure that you have a mental health disorder that needs treatment.  Go talk with someone.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »
I'm wondering if the joint-pain was my doing by self-testing. Thing is now, I haven't in about a week.

As for speech, I can actually 'feel' my slip-ups 'build' kinda. Like the longer I talk the more stress I feel about the sentence. Still, no one thinks I sound odd. It's almost like my lips/mouth move in a way displeasing to me. Like I feel what's going on way too poignantly to the point it irritates me then I stutter/believe I sound weird. It's been ongoing for like a month. At this point I'd expect an actual deficit. But then there's TZDenver (no one on these forums should google this). I'm wondering if his case was actually far more pronounced. His wife and neuro noticed, after all.

Edit: I've at this point also became convinced at different time periods of every onset. Leg, arm, mouth (all right side) which causes me to think anxiety. I was, without a doubt, confirmed by at least three doctors, to be hyperventilating quite badly before this started. I often feel like I can't get enough air (like right now sitting up; whenever I try sleeping). I don't notice if I'm breathing too quickly when my mind isn't fixed on it. I also know my 02 saturation has been fine and I'm indeed breathing appropriately although I don't feel like it. It feels like my neck/chest/throat is contracted. I understand that's a common symptom of anxiety? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:48:22 PM »
Pan's old posts have been helpful as well. To anyone reading this and going through something similar. His case was nearly identical to mine.

Edit, again: Obligatory recognition of full-membership post. Woo.
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »
I'm wondering if the joint-pain was my doing by self-testing. Thing is now, I haven't in about a week.

As for speech, I can actually 'feel' my slip-ups 'build' kinda. Like the longer I talk the more stress I feel about the sentence. Still, no one thinks I sound odd. It's almost like my lips/mouth move in a way displeasing to me. Like I feel what's going on way too poignantly to the point it irritates me then I stutter/believe I sound weird. It's been ongoing for like a month. At this point I'd expect an actual deficit. But then there's TZDenver (no one on these forums should google this). I'm wondering if his case was actually far more pronounced. His wife and neuro noticed, after all.

Edit: I've at this point also became convinced at different time periods of every onset. Leg, arm, mouth (all right side) which causes me to think anxiety. I was, without a doubt, confirmed by at least three doctors, to be hyperventilating quite badly before this started. I often feel like I can't get enough air (like right now sitting up; whenever I try sleeping). I don't notice if I'm breathing too quickly when my mind isn't fixed on it. I also know my 02 saturation has been fine and I'm indeed breathing appropriately although I don't feel like it. It feels like my neck/chest/throat is contracted. I understand that's a common symptom of anxiety?

I couldn't have described my sensations with speech any better than that.  I'm now about 3 months into the speech issues and they appear to be the same.  Sometimes I am ok, not thinking about the speech in a great conversation and I do just fine.  But, when I am hyperaware and/or anxious I feel this building with my mouth...this anticipatory tension and then boom I mess up a word.  My lips, jaw and mouth will feel heavy and words coming out of my mouth feel funny and sound off to me, yet my wife says she doesn't hear it.  And anytime you read stories it's so hard to know exactly how things went down.  It's why it's best not to read case studies or peoples scary stories over the net.  Typically, it's very fast...one day your ability to say a syllable is gone or greatly hindered.  They don't mess up words, they can't say certain words and quickly go to mumbling then an inability to speak.

Believe it or not nomnom you have helped me quite a bit just knowing there is another person who feels exactly like I do...it's reassuring.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Online ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »
Pan's old posts have been helpful as well. To anyone reading this and going through something similar. His case was nearly identical to mine.

Edit, again: Obligatory recognition of full-membership post. Woo.

You have a link?
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 05:01:26 PM »
Pan wrote the sticky, 'Accepting the Diagnosis'. Skip to page 95 of his posts on his profile. Around then is when his ALS fear started. I'll grab a link to his profile.

Edit: http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?action=profile;u=11596
Bookmark and Share

Tags: