Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Palpitations like crazy!!!  (Read 248 times)

Offline Tmarie820

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Palpitations like crazy!!!
« on: June 01, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm new here and need some help. For the last week and a half I have been getting palpitations everyday. It's scaring me and driving me crazy! I have always gotten palpitations here and there especially when I'm VERY anxious but never for this long. Some days they aren't bad but others, like today, I feel like they are constant. I try to relax but as soon as I do, one strikes and it starts the vicious cycle all over again. Of course my mind goes to that there is something seriously wrong. I've been reading obsessively about them and I never get dizzy, chest pain, or shortness of breath with them, just the palpitation. I have experienced 3 major panic attacks during this time because I am so worried about it. So of course then I experience the chest pain, shortness of breath, heart pounding, feeling like I'm going to faint when I've worked myself up about them.

I'm slightly agoraphobic, I have been trying to work through it but needless to say that I haven't been to the doctor in years and the thought of going just makes this ten times worse. Plus I do not have the best insurance since I do not work and I fear that I will end up with a ton of medical bills over something anxiety related.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I know palpitations are common for us but everyday?? I'm always afraid that I will ignore something thinking its a symptom of anxiety but it's in fact something serious. Please help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Expertgamer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Palpitations like crazy!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 06:45:15 PM »
I've had palpitations almost every day for 10 years now. Sometimes I get them twice or more times in a row. I'm 23 years old. If they were truly harmful I'd be a few feet under the ground by now. Had my doc listen to my heart and measure my bloodpressure 3 months ago, and he told me he couldn't find anything that worried him. Everything normal.

I used to worry a lot about palps a lot, but know this- palpitations are perfectly harmless if you had no heart diseases or surgery prior to getting them. Palps alone are never an indication of heart disease. My dad and mom have them too, and they're in their 50's.

Yes, they can be scary. But palpitations on their own cannot cause harm to your heart whatsoever. Everyone gets them every once in a while. It's just unfortunate that we feel them and others don't. The heart beats because of the electrical pulses it gets from the nodes in the upper part of the heart. A palpitation is caused by an electrical pulse from elsewhere in the body. Your own body compensates it by pausing the heart beat for a little longer, after which it will start beating normally again. This allows the heart to fill up with more blood than usual, what causes that 'thud' we often feel.

Anxiety certainly aggravates them. I'm pretty sure of that. I get them a lot while having panic attacks or when I'm tired. I've even found out that I can induce them sometimes by breathing in deeply. Some doctors believe palps are caused because of the way you're breathing- and I think they're on to something, haha.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 07:17:02 PM »
The thing about palpitations is that the more you worry about them, the more you will have them.
The other thing about them is that as frightening as they can be, they are harmless and don't indicate a serious problem.

I go through periods where my symptoms will get bad for days or weeks. That's not unusual for anxiety sufferers, although you can improve that over time if you find the right combination of techniques and/or medication for you.

I used to get palpitations and tachycardia almost every day (well, usually at night) but I get it much less frequently now, and when I do get it it rarely lasts very long, primarily because I know that it's not something I need to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »
I could have written your post. :)

I've been dealing with mine off and on for years and recently they have become more and more.  I've also been very anxious.  I did go to see a cardiologist who did and EKG and that was normal, along with a 24 hour Holter monitor.  I'm also going for a stress test tomorrow.

However, my annual blood work just came back showing my thyroid is high (8.6).  That can be a big cause for palpitations.  You may be in the same situation.  I know it's the scariest feeling in the world.  Believe me.  I can say it calmly now but then turn around and have one myself and then become very anxious. It's just hard when it happens to tell yourself it's nothing. 

But, the cardiologist said the same thing as everyone has mentioned.  They are harmless. 

I not only feel them when I'm anxious but around my period they really happen a lot, too.

Try not to worry and relax. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Online ckelley116

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
I just found this post because my father was given a 24-hour Holter monitor yesterday for his palpitations, which he's been having off and on for the last week. He's 66 and had a double-bypass four and a half years ago. Is there really no cause for concern? He is a rather nervous, high-strung person, has anxiety (I get it honestly, that's for sure), and I'm sure the fact that he's having them after having so much trouble with his heart is even more nerve-wracking for him. From what I understand a Holter monitor is only given when a EKG doesn't show any reason for the palpitations. Is it safe to start believing that maybe they're not being caused by a heart abnormality, but run-of-the-mill nerves?
Bookmark and Share
"Fate only takes you so far. Once you're there, it's up to you to make it happen."

Offline Raaawr

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
I'm literally just back from the doctor 4 hours ago after going purely because of palpatations. She wouldn't even do any test just told me I was being an idiot and needed to calm down and stop bieng so anxious. I even asked her to listen to my heart just to be sure and she wouldn't cause it would only feed my anxiety in the long run when I decided her test wasn't good enough.
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Online fordaisy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »
famv5 - my thyroid was a little high too - 3.14. Are they doing anything for you or just watching it?
Bookmark and Share

Online fordaisy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »
tmarie - I get these and I just have an EKG a week ago. They are much worse during anxiety. I can even bring one on by thinking about it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »
Fordaisy,  I started on Levothyroxine for my thyroid.  I've had my blood rechecked and now my thyroid level is 1.22. 

I will say that my palpitations have reduced greatly since I have been on the thyroid medication.   I tend to feel them the most around my monthly cycle which a lot of women do.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: