Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Took Yeast Infection Meds But No Yeast Infection  (Read 279 times)

Offline Caroline1902

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Took Yeast Infection Meds But No Yeast Infection
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »
This is my first post but I am definitely in the right place!  I can relate to all of you.

I've vowed only to come here when I'm freaking out instead of googling - hopefully my telling you of my symptoms isn't the same thing!

About two weeks ago, I mentioned to my doctor that I had a little feminine itching and pain.  This was through e-mail.  It wasn't major but because I was going on vacation and really wanted to enjoy it without freaking out over some HA issue, I decided to address it before I left.  So she never examined me.

She told me to take Caneston.  I took the oral once a day pill.  It didn't go away so my doctor told me to take it again and again if it didn't go away.  Then I  went on my trip.  My entire nether region area was swollen, dry and slightly painful.  I talked to a pharmacist in the States who said to take Monistat 1.  Big mistake.  Burned like crazy for two days.  Then I started to feel the need to urinate often and of course, the amounts were small.     

Needless to say my trip was ruined over the stress and worry.  I went back to my doctor's office as soon as the plane landed and he did some vaginal swabs and some urine tests.  He also said the oral pills don't work and I should have used Canestan 6 Day cream.  However, the test results came back and everything came back negative.  No yeast infection and no UTI.

I wonder if I ever had a yeast infection in the first place and by taking all of those unnecessary meds, I caused all this!  The situation is much better but I still feel a tiny bit of burning down there and am doing my best not to panic.  The anxiety is driving me mad.

Has anyone else had this happen?  I'm tired of running to the doctor with every little thing and having HA ruin my life.  I love my life and just want to enjoy it but I guess I should go back yet again, in say a week, if everything isn't entirely normal????

Thanks for reading!     
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 92
    • Poke This Member
Re: Took Yeast Infection Meds But No Yeast Infection
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »
Hi Caroline, welcome.

That sounds awful! It could be that taking those meds when you didn't need to is making that itching/burning feeling worse. However, I doubt you did any permanent damage, and if you give in another few days, you'll probably be feeling even better. Do you know if they checked for BV? The symptoms are so often the same as a yeast infection, but the treatment's different.

Also, I'd recommend NOT taking a doctor's recommendation unless they're able to see you directly. No matter how well you describe your symptoms, they cannot properly diagnose you without at least looking at you.

Have you tried any kind of anxiety treatment at all? As I'm sure you've gathered by reading this site, things like repeated doctors visits and medical tests actually contribute to worsening anxiety—basically, it's counterproductive, no mater how counterintuitive that sounds. 
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »
For over a year I had redness, mild itching and sensitivity that did not respond to treatments for yeast. It was from douching regularly with warm water!! Within a week after stopping it disappeared. I had disrupted the natural ph balance - nothing more.  The vagina is like a self cleaning oven...only wash externally with mild soap and warm water.  If (on the other hand) you have foul smelling discharge it could be bacterial vaginitis which requires a med called Flagyl (Rx only).  I hope this helps.  Hugs
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Caroline1902

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies!  I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much it helps to be around people who understand the angst HA can bring.

Just before my trip, my doctor gave me some "Band-Aid" prescriptions for anxiety.  One is PMS-Clonazepam for severe anxiety and the other is Teva-Lorazepam.  My understanding is the meds I actually need will require a few weeks to kick in so she didn't bother me giving me these.  The meds I was given were supposed to help during my trip.  They were worked but they also made me tired and kind of made me a little tipsy, a feeling I'd prefer not to have during the day.

I guess I'll talk to her about going on something for the long haul - I've been suffering from HA, off and on, for about three years and when it kicks in, it takes over my life.  I'm also driving my husband crazy so I don't really talk about my issues with him anymore.

And yes, I've learned my lesson not to take any medication unless a formal diagnosis has been made.  I'm annoyed at my doctor for not insisting I come in before telling me to take this product over and over but I guess I should have exercised common sense too. 

There is no BV, no yeast and no UTI.  The lab results are back.  The only conclusion I have for these mild lingering symptoms is I caused the harm with drugs that had no business being down there in the first place.  Of course, my HA mind can't help but wonder if something else (cancer) is the reason but deep down, I know this not to be the case.

Have any of you had any luck with books on how to cure or at least help hypochondria?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxietyGirl24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 03:30:39 PM »
I'm sure you are ok.  I had the same thing happen to me, but I was prescribed medication for a bacterial infection, which I did not have.  Almost 8 weeks later dr confirmed I had a yeast infection.  They give yeast infection medicine to pregnant women all the time, so I'm sure you are totally fine to have taken it without even having an infection.  Also, there is no harm in having a yeast infection for a prolong amount of time.  Mine lasted almost 2 months and I am totally fine.   ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caroline1902

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I'm pretty sure I do need therapy or meds at the very least - any advice you guys have would be more than appreciated.  I don't want to live like this. 

I obviously had symptoms which led me to believe I had a yeast infection.  Clearly not.  Are these symptoms indicative of some other condition or would they have just gone away on their own because my body was doing its thing.  Who knows.  I guess at this point I have no choice but to wait it out and hope they disappear completely.  I have steadily been getting better with each passing day so this is a good sign.  I really don't want to see the doctor again and as many of you have said, these visits make things worse.

I really appreciate this forum - I don't know a single soul in the real world like me.  They all think I've lost it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 04:21:12 PM »
In the future, take the 3 day monistat if you can't handle the 7 day, but NOT THE ONE DAY.  That stuff will mess you up, as you've learned.  Just pointing out that probably made it worse - I have no idea how anyone can use it and not be in horrible pain!  Overmedicating for a yeast infection won't hurt you, though.  I'm pretty sure I've used monistat when it wasn't actually needed (I have chronic BV and sometimes it can be hard to tell from a yeast infection) with no bad effects save the skin burning. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caroline1902

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 05:25:35 PM »
Yes, I've learned my lessons well and hopefully others will have learned something from this whole experience as well!

Because I am who I am, I'm worried the burning isn't due to the unnecessary meds but to something else.  I know I'm crazy though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 09:24:16 PM »
I feel your pain w/ health anxiety but you are definitely not the only one who's had a horrible reaction to the one-day insert/cream.  I have and so have people I know.  That stuff is just kind of evil.  Also, dunno if you used the ones with the "soothing" wipes - but those burn me like crazy too.  I'll take a yeast infection over that any day!
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 11:10:58 PM »
You may just have redness and irritation from a new detergent, soap, or swimming in chlorinated water.  A very soothing remedy is to buy coconut oil and make 6-7 homemade suppositories (I always have a few on hand). Very soothing:  http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com/vaginalyeastinfectionremedies.html
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 11:17:47 PM »
BTW:  you don't have some underlying illness - don't go down that trail.  Gyn's see hundreds of women with unexplained irritation, redness and itching. It often resolves on it's own, and the fact you ruled out BV, yeast and UTI is great. Even a hormonal fluctuation can cause your symptoms. Be well :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caroline1902

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 07:44:58 AM »
Thank you all!  This forum has been a great source of help for me - truly.

The Internet turned me into a hypochondriac but I guess it also has its place!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 12:47:02 AM »
BTW:  you don't have some underlying illness - don't go down that trail.  Gyn's see hundreds of women with unexplained irritation, redness and itching. It often resolves on it's own, and the fact you ruled out BV, yeast and UTI is great. Even a hormonal fluctuation can cause your symptoms. Be well :)

Also very true - a few times I've gone in sure my BV was back but there was nothing.  I just was itchy and irritated for no known reason, and it usually went away on its own eventually.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caroline1902

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 07:17:50 AM »
Thank you, Mollyfin.  I also feel like it's not gone entirely.  Still a little sore but I'm going to behave myself and not go back to the doctor, nor am I going to Google.

Mind over matter!

Bookmark and Share

Tags: