Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared I may have epilepsy  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Dayvid

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared I may have epilepsy
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »
You both sound like you're in a verrry similar situation to me a few years back.

I got olfactory hallucinations. Still do! Smoke is my main one - after all these years it's either anxiety or my ongoing sinus problems.

Dejavu CAN be caused my anxiety. Non psychogenic seizures are worth looking up if you believe they are seizures. Anxiety messes us up!

The dream like state may be similar to what people (including I) have had - Depersonalization/Derealization.

IT doesn't have to happen when anxious. Mine never did. They were out of the blue. Just because you may feel calm for a little while doesn't mean your body isn't anxious. A LOT of anxiety runs in the background, subconsciously.

I've had the intense dejavu. I've had the strange smells and i too was convinced i was having seizures. I'm here, a good 2-3 years later and i realised how much anxiety can cause these things.

TRUST me, please. Sure get checked out if you feel necessary - it's always a bonus. But if you're on these forums with these symptoms - There's a good chance, that like me, they are being caused by anxiety.

Just as an added - vision problems are VERY common anxiety symptoms. Especially during a panic attack etc. Even when not, too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »
Thanks Dayvid. I'm comforted anyway. Still stressing about neurology appointment tomorrow (of course)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »
I wish you all the best. I know how tricky and scary these things can be.

But after so long (3 years, right?) things would have gotten worse or OBVIOUS. If you're on these boards I would say anxiety may be the culprit.

Maybe after tomorrow you might get some much needed closure. But please be aware, going in to this, that if you've had anxiety it can cause SO many symptoms it's unreal.

Mine haven't happened in 2-3 years (i get smoke smells. They are more IN the nostril rather than a scent - if you get me?) these have got better too... but they don't scare me like they used to.

After i began to realise these COULD be anxiety - it kinda fell in to place and made sense. I'd been through DP/DR and my mind was messed up. For me, it wasn't a long shot to see how anxiety can cause this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
Mine haven't happened in 2-3 years (i get smoke smells. They are more IN the nostril rather than a scent - if you get me?)

That's exactly what it is! IN the nostril - like, WAYY up there. They're usually pleasant smelling though, for me. And the deja vu is unreal. It's so intense. Last month one day, I was on the phone with my mother, and it was like I KNEW what she was going to say next. Very strange feeling. Sooo scary! Really hoping for some closure tomorrow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 05:49:07 PM »
Yeah! It's in the nostril. If I smell other things, they smell normal at the same time i get this "sensation"...

I remember when I was really bad, in tears, my nose was running (TMI) and often I smelt it then. It would just come on. So, that suggested to me, allergies/sinus things.

Anyway, 3 years on and it hardly happens anymore. Logic dictates, if it was serious, it would get worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 05:53:04 PM »
Here's a passage that helped me.

"To distinguish epileptic déjà-vu from psychogenic phenonema, it is often helpful to obtain a clear and definite description from the patient about his sensations. Quite frequently, patients with psychogenic nonepileptic seizures are aware of déjà-vu sensations and list them as one of their symptoms. But they are unable to describe their sensations, or they give descriptions of other sensations. Jamais-vu sensations are related feelings of a sense of unfamiliarity or strangeness in a familiar situation. This is overall a rare occurrence in epileptic disorders"

Psychogenic meaning, basically, stress caused.

Written by 2 doctors! Anxiety causes a LOT of scary symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »
Yeah - I can also smell normal things if I get a phantom smell - example - when it was happening once I picked up a candle and it smelled as it should.

But I can clearly describe what happened with my deja vu. I was/am aware of it when it's happening, and like I mentioned in the example of being on the phone with my mom - I can explain it all. So, does this point to epilepsy?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »
Ok, here is my two cents...none of you have epilepsy!  Why?  Well because I was the one to wrestle my step second cousin (don't ask) to the ground and shove my now permanently scarred fingers into his mouth to keep him from biting or choking on his own tongue. 

Deja vu is weird but we all experience it at times.  Unless you are falling over and seizing then you are fine.  J's tests were never normal and he was med boarded out of the army.  If your tests are normal then so are you...well, except for the anxiety!  Great that and hang he rest will resolve itself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
Hi stressed jumper thank you for your reply. Your post was reassuring however I have been told that their are so many forms of epilepsy which can spread from partial into secondary generalised seizures I feel that's what I am experiencing at the moment. I feel at the moment I am getting the partial seizure feeling and then it stops. I haven't been diagnosed with this however from what I have read on so many forums about the whole intense fear feeling accompanied with the deja vu and panic inuding confusion is what I  experiencing almost a few times a week. Yes I realise I have a major phobia of seizures but these symptoms feel so real. Please can you advise or help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 11:39:59 AM »
Also forgot to mention the doctors say their are no specific tests that can diagnose epilepsy and that is based on the persons symptoms. So why if my symptoms are identical to seizure symptoms are they just ignoring it and passing it off as anxiety when it is surely something else? Please help I need answers with solid facts
Bookmark and Share

Tags: