Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out over the silliest things  (Read 155 times)

Offline AnxiousChick

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Freaking out over the silliest things
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:04:45 AM »
Ok, so I've had anxiety for the last 5 years or so (possibly longer) but lately it's been worse due to being unemployed (I am actively looking for work but nothing has come up in the last 2 months) and basically sitting around doing nothing all day (no money to do anything = not being able to do much).

This means the littlest things cause me to panic. The latest thing? I was reading some urban legend about some poor girl that died, anyway at the end it said "If you read her story, she will come to you within a month" seeking vengeance, that kind of thing..... Silly stuff, right! (right on par with those silly chain emails that did the rounds a while ago) But it's FREAKING ME OUT!

So now I'm having this internal tug-of-war because I know deep down that everything's fine and it's just a story but there's that darn little niggling voice that's trying to convince me otherwise.

Cue the downward spiral of freaking out over it, trying to convince myself that everything will be OK, and feeling stupid over letting something so silly almost paralyze me with fear.

Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom, or advice for helping kick these feelings to the kerb? I don't really want to be feeling like this for a whole month
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out over the silliest things
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:33:58 AM »
Hello Chick...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Chick, I can think of a number of things you can do, that might ease your anxiety.

Ernest Holmes said, "Life is a mirror and will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it."  That being the case, do your best to stay away from Internet topics/stories that will just exacerbate your anxiety.

Also, you said that you are not working right now, but are actively looking for a job.  Until you find one, do your best to get out of the house everyday.  There are plenty of things you can do that don't cost anything.  Take a walk in a park, visit a museum, or just window shop at the mall.  You might also look for some volunteer work in your community.  It is a great way to meet new people, and a volunteer job might just unlock something towards a paying one.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, Chick.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »
I think this often happens to people with GAD. I think it occurs because our brain wants something physical to attach its feelings of anxiety to. It scans everything you see or hear and when it finds something it can use, it attaches all your anxiety onto that thing. Your anxiety is not actually about that story; it's caused by other things that are too abstract or subconscious or difficult to face, and so it attaches the anxiety to the story instead. If it wasn't this story then it would be something else; some health concern, or some family conflict, or maybe some other superstition. Often the reason for the anxiety is actually just the anxiety itself, but that feels insufficient, so the brain looks for the "real" cause, even if it's completely silly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousChick

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
Thanks ToastedButter. You completely hit it on the head. If it wasn't this story, it would be something else. It's so easy to let our minds get so caught up in trivial things and let the anxiety take over.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: