Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Health anxiety  (Read 181 times)

Offline JBD02

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Health anxiety
« on: May 31, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Hi. This is all new to me. I've been dealing with health anxiety for 6 months now. I've been seen by my family dr, neurologist, cardiologist., and GYN. I've had many blood tests, a urine test to rule out a rare adrenal tumor, an EKG, echocardiogram, holter monitor, chest X-ray, MRI of my brain. Everything was ok except my thyroid which was minorly off. Meds were not even recommended.
Over the last 6 months I've been CONVINCED I've had diabetes, MS, ALS, heart failure, lupus, Lyme disease. I'm currently obsessed about my hair falling out, including my eyebrows and eyelashes. I've lost 10 pounds. I can't enjoy my very supportive husband and beautiful children because I'm living in constant fear.
I have many physical symptoms (which I try to tell myself is from anxiety), but I can't fully convince myself that it's not something more serious. My symptoms are shaking, blurred vision, restless, muscles randomly twitching.
I've been to see a therapist and psychiatrist and been taking Zoloft for about a week. My psychiatrist says no more tests, but I feel that's the only way I can put my mind at ease. I could go on and on...
I guess I'm looking for a little "I know what youre going through." I cry everyday. I can't even remember the person I used to be, happy, healty, marathon runner. To make matters worse, I work in a hospital. I see the worst of the worst all day. Can anyone relate???
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrpig

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Health anxiety
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
Hi,

I completely relate to your story. I have had severe health anxiety for about a year now. My main fear is MS but in the last year I have been fixated on different illnesses. It has been particularly bad since I had my first baby 4 months ago. It has made it more severe since I have had him because I worry most about dying and leaving him. I don't know about you, but it is not fear of what will happen to me if I get ill but more that I would be leaving my Son. It's terrible isn't it to waste our time worrying about what may or may not happen!

Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
Until you come to terms with the fact all those test are clear and you are really fine and what you are dealing with is anxiety, panic, hypochondria, ocd and more then you will keep getting test after test and find out the same thing each time you are really fine the issue you have is just like the rest of us it is all due to mental health problems.

Do you have any idea what triggered you to feel like you do ? Working in Health Care is very hard and you do see a lot and eventually over time many that think working in health care doesn't bother it really does some times and there is usually something that triggers us or someone so go back and remember what it was and start from there and keep going to therapy and you will soon beat this but having more test is not going to help you .

I know all to well because I have lived it and still do but I stopped the testing and running to the doctors I struggle everyday still though but I have a lot going on.

Stress and Anxiety can sure make the hair fall out and also weight loss or weight gain due to our eating patterns.
Hope you start to feel better really soon and you will!
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline JBD02

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies. It really helps to know that there are other people out there with similar issues.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
Over my current anxiety, I lost 20 lbs in the span of 2 weeks. I understand completely. The constant consumption with fear is unreal. I've stopped doing every single thing I used to enjoy and in lieu spend my time badly attempting to distract or reassure myself.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. Over time with the right guidance, you will notice things will improve.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 05:39:52 PM »
Your story definitely resonates. I can't even imagine working such a stressful job as being in a hospital with my anxiety. You are stronger than you think you are to even be able to do that. For what its' worth, I think your psychiatrist is right about the tests. I've spent way too much on tests which all came back normal or mildly inconclusive but nothing to indicate anything that couldn't be more easily explained by anxiety. You can get to depend on the comfort these negative results bring you to the point where you want a test for every new symptom, but that won't help you learn to cope with your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JBD02

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »
I'm so glad that I joined anxiety zone. Just reading and re-reading your responses has helped today. Thank you. :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: New to forum