Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Question about ocd can anyone answer it?!  (Read 251 times)

Offline bbwire

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Question about ocd can anyone answer it?!
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »
So I was wondering can ocd make you doubt yourself so much that you are so full of doubt that you don't know what you think? For example say someone with harm ocd has a thought "what if I harm someone?" And then they ask themselves omg "do I wanna harm someone?" And they can't answer like it's so doubtful! It could be the same with any ocd like Hocd if some thought "what if I'm gay" and they constantly went over and over in there head "do I think I'm gay?" And they just doubt themselves! Thus has been my main problem I can't be certain of my own thoughts because of doubt with my ocd, can ocd do this is this what it's about? I have schizo ocd and I fear it everyday so I'll get a what if thought anything my imagination can come up with, like "what if everyone out to get me?" And I'll get scared and then think omg "do I actually think that?" And I'm scared and can't answer! Is this cause of doubt? Can anyone shed done insight into this question I could really use it, and also how do I overcome this. Thanks guys
Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Question about ocd can anyone answer it?!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 12:09:52 PM »
Yes for sure Ocd can make you over think and rethink and just keep going into a vicious cycle over and over in the way we think and it is repeated pattern that we get so used too and we keep it up none stop.

Treatment with Therapy is Huge and learning to retrain the brain like reprogramming and changing the way we think instead of the negative scary thoughts that we repeat we have to say Positive phrases when we start to think those scary ones so each time you think something negative replace it with a positive statement and they don't have to be really long statements.

An Example- I THINK I MAY HURT SOMEONE now say this I KNOW I WILL NOT HURT SOMEONE BECAUSE IT IS JUST A THOUGHT I WONT ACT ON IT or can be shorter like , I KNOW I WONT THAT IS SILLY .    I THINK I MAY BE GAY to this I KNOW I AM NOT GAY I LOVE ? WOMEN OR MEN WHICH EVER... But if someone is Gay then nothing wrong with that just make a choice and be happy.

Negative Thinking is Ocd thinking because we find it easier to think negative then to be Positive thinkers.

Some times people do need Medication and there is nothing wrong with that either so I do hope you are in Therapy and wish all the best and Yes I am Ocd lol and I think some of the wildest things and talk to myself a lot and I do my best to replace those scary thoughts with either self talk or a good movies or distraction .

Most people assume OCD means someone who checks locks many times or washes their hands many times and those are ocd for sure but so are thoughts .

Take care
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline bbwire

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 12:17:33 PM »
What about the not being able to answer part is that all just ocd doubt? Like when I get the thought "what if everyone out to get me?" And I'll be so scared I'll ask myself omg "do I actually think that?" And it's like my ocd makes me doubt myself so much I can't answer it? Do you kinda know what I mean? Thanks for your help
Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 12:25:06 PM »
Yes that is part of it for sure !

I think people hate me and I tell myself I am awful person all the time but in reality people aren't even thinking about me it is only me thinking negative things about me and guess what if they are thinking or saying bad things about me then so be it lol I tell myself wow how POPULAR I must be lol.

Also you need to also add Humor into your thoughts like if you say to yourself Okay they don't like me or they don't want me around or do they am I a horrible person or am I?? Replace these thoughts and words with silly ones also like OKAY I AM TALKING TO MYSELF AND WHAT I AM SAYING IS SILLY LIKE FALLING IN A HUGE PILE OF PUDDING !! I AM ME AND I LOVE ME!!

I do get what you are saying but our thoughts are False Thoughts and with Therapy over time you will get better and learn to do self talk okay and replace those questions each time they come up with silly ones or just positive ones. Not everything we think or even see is true in life.

We are Thinkers and we pick everything and everyone apart we cant help it because of the Ocd and other issues and that includes ourselves .
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline gtripoli

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
we have to say Positive phrases when we start to think those scary ones so each time you think something negative replace it with a positive statement and they don't have to be really long statements.

Please do not follow this advice! This will make your symptoms escalate in the long run.

OCD has suckered all of us into believing that our thoughts have power or meaning just because they came from our own mind. Trying to counteract a thought with another thought is just feeding that incorrect belief. The thoughts themselves are not the problem. The real problem is our reaction to them.

The reality is that you will never be able to think yourself out of OCD. You will never be satisfied by any thought you force your mind to conjure up to counter a bad one. Absolute certainty is impossible to have and yet we fool ourselves into thinking that if 'I can just be sure that xxxx', everything will be fine. Completely false.

To answer your original question... Yes, OCD will make you doubt everything and I do mean everything. It will always attach itself to whatever scenario is your personal worse case scenario, which, for many, comes in the form of 'what if I am not the person I thought I was?'.

Our thoughts do not represent reality. They are just simply thoughts. They are just chemical reactions, not prophecy, not judgement, not indictments.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bbwire

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 01:17:52 PM »
So would you think this is all ocd? It's like I get a "what if" thought and then ill test myself like " do I actually this or that?" And when I ask myself that question it's like I can't answer because I'm just doubting myself so much and that's why I get scared and I'll just ruminate about it all day!
Bookmark and Share

Offline gtripoli

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
Absolutely! All of it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bbwire

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »
How do you just accept the uncertainty? How do you get over this I just want my life back! Have you experienced anything like this? Thanks for your help I really appreciate it
Bookmark and Share

Offline gtripoli

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
The biggest help for me with this was Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). This teaches you that your mind and who you are are completely separate. Just because your mind generates a thought, does not mean the thought has any particular meaning.

I like to think of the mind as simply a thought factory. It's a clever factory that will try to anticipate your needs and produce the thoughts that will help you throughout your life. You can't control the factory directly, but it does notice how you respond to the thoughts it produces. If you have a strong reaction to a particular thought (good or bad), you are likely to see that thought pop up again in the near future. So, what gets us in the OCD cycle is that we have a strong reaction to a disturbing thought and the factory takes notice and regards that thought as important, so it simply presents it to you again. The only way to get the factory to slow down in producing the thoughts we really don't like is to ignore them. We have to stop viewing the thoughts as accusations, questions that need answers, predictions etc... They are just thoughts, a chemical reaction in your brain. You don't have to wrestle with any of them if you don't want to.

Taking this viewpoint of the mind takes hard work because most likely we have spent a long time incorrectly believing that every thought we ever had said something about us as a person. You won't be able to change overnight. Persistence will pay off in the long run.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: