Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Medication  (Read 109 times)

Offline eveabdallah

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Medication
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:35:05 AM »
Hi!
please bear with me as I have have very little experience of forums. In saying that, I find myself here as a therapeutic means of telling my "story" as well as expressing my curiosity and interest in the similar experiences of others. Currently I'm on 100mg of Zoloft after having an extremely distressing panic attack in February, which basically stuffed up the first couple of months of my year. This included severe agoraphobia, multiple panic attacks a day, constant physical illness due to anxiety. I also wasn't able to work for three months as this is where the mother of all panic attacks occurred, of course this affected my finances etc. going to uni each day was also a struggle. Finally I have found some relief, with the panic attacks subsiding as well as the constant anxiety. I just have a few questions and am curious to see if others have had similar side effects on Zoloft - as much as it has changed my life and I will be constantly thankful for this miraculous drug.

1. Did you lose your sex drive/libido? I never even thought this was possible! But after discovering that an orgasm is nowhere near as attainable as it previously was, I must ask. I can also safely say my sex drive has significantly decreased, which I honestly find astounding.  :spineyes:

2. Memory loss, I find myself forgetting small things a lot of the time. Do you??

3. irritability, although this may be intertwined with anxiety and depression I find myself swinging from one mood to the next.

Thanks for listening to my rant, this is part of my personal therapy! Please feel free to share your experiences, I would love to hear from you!
Peace and blessings
Eve
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Medication
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:59:01 AM »
Hello Eve...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Eve, Zoloft is classified as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).  SSRI anti-depressants have a history of decreasing one's sex drive throughout treatment.  I am on Celexa (Citalopram), which is another SSRI anti-depressant.  All of my start-up side effects have long ago left me, but there is no doubt that my sex drive is diminished.  Much of this I find I can counteract with my own mind/thoughts.

There is evidence too that long term use of SSRI anti-depressants can cause some memory loss.  There was a time that I thought this was affecting me in this manner, but I think that I was focusing more on when I would forget something, and wondering if the anti-depressant therapy was causing it.  In reality, I don't think I am anymore forgetful on the Celexa, as before I started it.  And my quality of life has improved dramatically on Celexa, so I have no intention of going off of it.

Early on in treatment, I had the "switching" on and off of different emotions, such as anxiety and depression, but I have found that over time, this is no longer happening.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, Eve.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
Welcome! Sorry to hear that your year started off so hard. Anxiety is a b****, isn't it?

I am on 125 mg of sertraline so here are my experiences with the same drug.

1) WHAT'S A SEX DRIVE?!? Honestly, I have none. My poor husband.  :spineyes:

2) Yes, the zoloft has given me the memory of a goldfish. I forget small things constantly. I have to make lists for everything these days.

3) This I have not experienced. Now that my anxiety is greatly reduced I don't have ups and downs like I used to.

I am very happy I went on sertraline back in January. I still have mild anxiety from time to time but it has helped me so much!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 87
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »
1. Did you lose your sex drive/libido? I never even thought this was possible! But after discovering that an orgasm is nowhere near as attainable as it previously was, I must ask. I can also safely say my sex drive has significantly decreased, which I honestly find astounding

Welcome to AnxietyZone, Eve

Unfortunately, just about everyone finds that their antidepressant is the equivalent of a perpetual cold shower. There are some things you can do which may moderate this hit on the libido.

2. Memory loss, I find myself forgetting small things a lot of the time. Do you??

It is a common complaint, but how much of it is due to the med, from anxiety, or just a heightened awareness of ordinary forgetfulness that went unnoticed in the past is hard to say. Antidepressants work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells in the two hippocampal regions of the brain to replace cells either killed off or inhibited from growing by chronic stress hormone exposure. The hippocampi control the consolidation and storage of memory so, at least in theory, antidepressants should improve memory.

3. irritability, although this may be intertwined with anxiety and depression I find myself swinging from one mood to the next.

Discuss this with your doctor the next time you see him/her. It could be a sign that Zoloft isn't quite the right med for you.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.