Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: health anxiety and support!!!  (Read 89 times)

Offline jordannicole812

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
health anxiety and support!!!
« on: May 30, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »
hello everyone! I'm new to the site, but I've come across it many times in my googling of symptoms. :) just a quick overview... I'm a 27 year old female. I've had health anxiety since the age of 5. I distinctly remember my first scare at 5; I found a bump under my arm and obsessed about it being cancer (or what I knew of cancer.) my mom finally took me to the doctor and it was a simple lipoma. since then, I've dealt with health anxiety on and off. at 14 my aunt was diagnosed with ovarian cancer (and beat it!) and I had a huge cancer scare, which required my mom taking me to the doctor for an ultrasound of my ovaries, at which point i cried because I felt the radiologist knew I had cancer. I didn't. shortly after that at 15, my best friends cousin died of bacterial meningitis... thus prompting me to believe I had it and forcing my mom to take me to an orthopedist... again, nothing. since then, it's been one thing after another (ovarian cancer, breast cancer, and my current anxiety, pancreatic cancer). I am constantly googling symptoms and thinking the worst. I've racked up thousands in medical bills. my parents finally sat me down and told me I need to seek professional treatment, because they were worried about me. my question is, can anyone recommend a therapy that worked for them or how they began to seek help? the idea of seeking help is also giving me anxiety and I am hoping for some direction on where to go! thank you again for reading!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Krum1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: health anxiety and support!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 06:55:38 AM »
I'm so sorry you're going thru this, but wanted to let you know I can totally relate.  In hindsight, I've had anxiety my whole life but the HA didn't become bad until I was 30 and started having physical symptoms brought on by my anxiety.  Of course I thought there was something wrong with my heart, I had cancer, I was going crazy etc.
What helps is CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), moderate exercise, and I take an antidepressant and Xanax as needed.  Obviously I still struggle (or I wouldn't be here) but I'm feeling 'normal' for longer periods of time.
Hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Krum1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:00:42 AM »
Forgot to mention- The thing that helped the most? I stopped googling!! Google a hangnail and I guarantee you'll uncover a rare but deadly disease as a possible cause.  When I get the urge, I come here instead.  It helps me stay grounded :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jordannicole812

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »
thank you so much. my anxiety has gotten so much worse this year! I can't understand why. I know my boyfriend feels bad because he doesn't know what to do to help. I'm glad to have found this place and find others with similar fears! looking forward to getting better!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: