Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What is GAD to you? How do you experience it?  (Read 789 times)

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is GAD to you? How do you experience it?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 03:42:40 PM »
That is a long time since high school. For me, even longer. I was not journaling then, but thinking back I now have such a better understanding of that time of turmoil, confusion, and for me, depression.

But I actually meant childhood. While some issues may originate in the organic brain itself, so much is also conditioned by environment, esp. that very early environment, or so I believe.
Bookmark and Share

Online worldbeat99

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »
Hi Tina, I think many with anxieties can benefit from looking at childhood experiences.  And there are also anxieties that are not based on experiences and triggera, but rather based on brain chemistry, heredity and such.  It's goes back to the idea of nature/nurture.  Some things are in born, and some things are shaped by experience.  I was fortunate to have a pretty good childhood, and a pretty good adulthood. But still I've dealt with GAD, generalized anxiety, for the past 5 months.

Regardless of how we acquire our conditions, I wish the best to everyone for positive outcomes and being able to manage our anxiousness.  :yes:

Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 07:17:32 AM »
Yes, the big nature/nurture issue and, frankly, the huge mystery of the brain. It can mis-function in any number of ways. So meds may help and be necessary for some people.

PBS was having its fundraiser with Dr. Daniel Amen. I have some of his books with plenty illustrations of brain images. There are noticeable differences. Most of us have no access to such imagery so I rely on my holistic methods. Takes work, patience and constant attention. Sometimes I even enjoy it. My version of brain research. :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline houndlvr1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 01:37:46 PM »
So I'm a dopey techie - I don't get the "group of faces" LOL!!
That being said, I was diagnosed (twice) w/GAD and PTSD after I lost my dad 2 years ago.  I had suffered panic attacks back in the 90's after a severe head on collission which happened during a snow storm.  It took me YEARS to be able to drive down that same section of roadway again and I thought after combatting that, my panic was gone.
But as mentioned, it reared its horribly ugly head 2 years ago and apparently its taking an extended vacation in my head LOL.

I get stuck like a needle in a record so to speak on the same thoughts - and unless I can find a way to make myself STOP I can spend the entire day turning a little worry into a huge concern if you know what I mean.

I try to listen to music or read helpful books (always open to suggestions for new ones hint hint!) and I use a relaxation cd if I find that I'm laying in bed just unable to drift off.

I give everyone here credit for picking up and starting over each day - it can be a daunting task sometimes but I keep trying to "fake it til I make it" LOL!
Bookmark and Share

Online worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
Hi Hound, thanks for sharing your anxiety story.  I'm sorry for your difficulties.

I think most people underestimate how oppressive GAD can be.
but folks who have it know.  Have you had much like with medications?

I like a book called The Happiness Trap which uses ACT therapy myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AshleyNova

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 01:46:08 AM »
Great question, and I hadn't really thought about how I would define GAD for myself until a few weeks ago when I was trying to explain it to a family member. I have always been more anxious/sensitive than most people I know, and I am pretty sure I've been living with GAD from the time I was a very young child. The way I would describe my GAD is this: For me, the feelings of anxiety and dread come and go - seemingly out of nowhere. I'll be fine, going about my life, and then BAM! Something (usually something that would not really alarm a non-GAD person) will send me into a downward spiral. The things that set me off vary - anything from feeling that I have a serious health issue to thinking that there is something horribly wrong with my house to intense worry about what people are thinking about me. I tend to obsess over whatever issue has set me off - for awhile - and when the issue resolves itself, the anxiety does not go away. It just seems to attach itself to something else. As each issue (imagined or real) is resolved, the anxiety remains, and if there isn't something obvious for me to attach it to, I will look for something - anything - to be anxious about. Eventually, the anxious feelings subside, and I am able to live normally until the next episode strikes.

My main symptoms are:
- Whatever I'm worried about plays over and over in my head - like a tape that you can't turn off.
- Inability to concentrate (can't read or watch TV or have a real conversation) because I keep going back to the obsessive thoughts.
- Difficulty staying asleep.
- Rapid heart beat - especially in the early hours of the morning - 3 or 4ish.
- Sinking feeling in my stomach.
- Nervous energy - having to keep busy for fear that my thoughts will make me go crazy.

I guess that overall, I picture my GAD as a velcro ball. The ball rolls in with a worry on it, and once that worry subsides, the ball keeps rolling until another worry sticks to it. This cycle repeats until there is no more velcro for worries to stick to, then the ball rolls away. At any point in the future, another velcro ball rolls on in. That is really my GAD in a nutshell. Looking forward to reading about everyone else's experiences. Wishing all a beautiful and peaceful weekend.

I agree with all this Lori! Sadly I get many more physical symptoms along with this. I get chest pain shortness of breath facial sensations leg pain back pain muscle twitching.. All scary I can never convince myself it's anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline houndlvr1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 02:19:43 PM »
Well I've not had luck with the one med I tried (Zoloft) because I had some kind of weird reaction to it that actually created hot flashes/panic the day after I started it and I wound up in the ER (yipe).

Now I'm afraid to try anything new at all and have been "toughing it out" on my own with some CBT therapy. NOT the easiest route.  I do often though think I may be better suited with another med but that one attack was so severe I'm scared to try another.

I read as much as possible and would like to get more involved with a good forum and/or attempt some meditation. Folks seems to believe that helps them a lot with their panic.

I find that, as someone else here mentioned, if I am really distracted (at work/doing some oil painting, etc) it seems to be less of an issue. However, when you live alone as many of us do it becomes difficult to keep upbeat and when the thoughts come in it's so much harder to turn them off than if I'm with people.

Thanks for the book suggestion - I'll check out Amazon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »
It is hard work, to be sure. Distractions help but if the brain is not willing to cooperate, it is one uphill trek. We must find new sources of distraction. Meditation is big for me. May seem easy, yet is not. Was going to write A Tribute to Dad for Dad's Day (writing as distraction), but was advised not to bother because there are too few good ones around.

Will look into The Happiness Trap. Want to learn more about ACT. Thank you for mentioning it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
Tina what is the ACT you talk about. and where did you get the info. I am looking into ways to help me. I also have heard about CBT but again where can I get the info. I have ignored the elephant in the room long enough and need to do all I can to get my self recovered.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 11:26:03 AM »
The library may be a good start as well as the Web. I learned about both at this site. Have now ordered the ACT book from the library. It's not a new book yet has holds on it. May invest in it if I like it. ACT stands for Acceptance and Commitment Therapy which sounds very good. Believe in both.

Yes, it takes work but is well worth it. Wishing you the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline houndlvr1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »
Forever, there are lots of good books on cognitive behavior therapy out on Amazon and in your local library. I find some very good information just from others on this board.  I was unfamiliar with the acronym ACT but am now reading more about that program.
Truthfully, I find comfort in just knowing I"m not the only one out here with GAD.  It sometimes feels so isolating to be suffering in silence and then I find others are in the same boat - makes life much more tolerable for me :)

There is actually a book called CBT for Dummies - it's great for beginners looking to understand the premises.
Bookmark and Share

Online worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »
houndlvr, I know what you mean.  It's comforting just to know others are dealing with GAD.  Seems like there's not much talk about GAD in the chat room here.  I had an in person Meetup group in Chicago for GAD folks.  About 10 of us.  That was cool.

By the way, Anxietyzone won't let me post external web addresses.  But if you have an interest in being part of an anxiety group online that I started,
let me know.  It's on   f a c e o f f     If you know what I mean.  About 6 of us have GAD.

To reach me directly, go to my site...     dwightokita     com 
There is a guestbook on first page

Bookmark and Share

Offline houndlvr1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 05:31:43 PM »
Emailed ya this morning :)
Bookmark and Share

Online worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 06:25:52 PM »
Hi Hound,

Thanks for emailing.  I'm not seeing your message.

Was it a message through a note in my guestbook page of my site?
Or a direct email to my ***** account?  Or could it have been a privte message
thru the Anxiety Zone site?  I checked all three places and didn't see your message.

I wish Anxiety Zone wasn't so proprietary.  The trick to communicating outside AZ is to
use personal emails and such.

Dwight
Bookmark and Share

Tags: