Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Still needing support.  (Read 86 times)

Offline Ellie3344

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Still needing support.
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:21:32 PM »
I've posted in here recently about my flared up episodes of panic attacks. They've been relentless, coming and going all day long for a week. I started taking more buspar (10mg 3x daily instead of 5mg), and seemingly it's been helping. I'm still having some mild episodes though and I'm afraid it'll never go away. What really gets me is the depersonalizations/derealization. It makes me feel like
I'm going crazy and going to need to be locked up. I don't want to let this control me forever.

Any ideas on how to control this/help it ease up?
(Currently I'm not working. I hurt my shoulder on the job and am on workman compensation while waiting to see a doctor for a second opinion. I have a lot of free time and it's making this apart unbearable!)
Bookmark and Share

Online kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Still needing support.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »
Sorry to hear about the panic attacks and your shoulder . . .

Do you have an ideas what might be triggering the anxiety? Would it have to do with worries about being on worker comp? Going back to work? It's good that the meds have had an effect . . . often, not always, meds address the symptoms rather than the cause and that's really, for me, where my anxiety is best managed. If I know the triggers and I can manage them, then the anxiety is lessened. Each person reacts to meds and other therapies in different ways and the trick is to find what is right for you . . . I know that you are seeing a doc in order to get the meds, but are you seeing a counselor who can help guide you to a meaningful way to manage your anxiety? A good therapist (not necessarily a psychiatrist) can work with you to figure out the triggers and then to help you address them.

If you have been ff work and have a lot of time on your hands, this is particularly problematic because we (those of us with anxiety) can tend to focus on the anxiety and then it gets more intense. Without doing damage to your shoulder, are there things that you can do to keep yourself busy and give yourself a sense of accomplishment? It doesn't have to be big projects . . . simple things such as cleaning out a sock drawer, making a brief journal entry listing the things you did. . . are you able to go for even a brief walk or chat on the telephone or have a coffee with a friend? I have found mindfulness to be particularly helpful although it does take a bit of time to get committed to doing it but it may be something to think about . . . and come here often . . . loads of people have great ideas . . . some may not work for you, but others may and if you can, try to figure out what the triggers are and if you also can see a counselor to help you deal with your triggers, this may help also . . . please let us know how you are doing . . . take care, kc  p.s.  I cannot guarantee that anxiety will go away, but my panic attacks and anxiety are greatly reduced . . . . and when I feel that they are returning, that is usually a signal that I have to figure out what is really going on with me and deal with it but if you keep working at it, you will find that your situation will improve greatly . . . remember though it is a process rather than a one time event but you know where we are if we can do anything to help you . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ellie3344

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:15:48 PM »
Thanks so much for your kind words. I've had GAD for years, but I haven't had episodes like this in a long, long time. I did just recently seek out a new therapist and have only seen her once thus far. I think this has been brought on by not working, the possibility of surgery, and a cortisone shot I had back in March that threw off my...ahem..monthly cycle. I know a lot of feeling better is keeping busy, it's just difficult when you feel so awful. It's a vicious cycle. Also, I've been so physically drained by the stress and anxiety, I'm exhausted all the time.  Coffee would be my normal go-to, but I'm afraid to drink even decaf becAuse of the caffeine. I've been trying to get out of the house and over to my boyfriends. I'm just scared of having an attack in front of his roommate. I've been over there twice though and haven't had any issues. Well, I had some minor anxiety but it passed relatively quickly. It's just so hArd and I don't want this to take over my life. I just want to feel normal again!!!
Bookmark and Share

Online kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 07:25:44 AM »
I certainly can relate to your reluctance to be around your boyfriend's roommate, but perhaps if the roommate was brought into the picture and told that you are having a few health issues that would relieve some of the stress of going over there . . . you don't have to tell the roommate all of the details, but, and this does depend on the other person, the roommate may be quite comfortable with what you are experiencing . . . then you would be comfortable being around the roommate . . . only you have the information to know what your comfort zone is around the roommate but it is something to consider . . . any time we have to take meds, there is a possibility that our bodies will react and hormonal reactions are the ones that usually appear to be affected . . . also if you have stopped with the coffee and you were consuming it on a regular basis, your body might be experiencing withdrawal . . . this happened to me when I went cold turkey from coffee and soft drinks . . . the fact that you are physically drained by the stress and anxiety is not unusual . . . .this happens to me any time I am in a state of anxiety and as counterintuitive as it may sound, I found that gentle exercise is the best . . . and I am talking gentle . . . like walking and not power walking . . . just getting out and moving in fresh air . . . . . it does take some effort to get mentally in the mood and I started off s-l-o-w-l-y . . . like literally just 5 minutes in one direction and then retraced my steps for another 5 minutes . . . .but it made me feel as if I had accomplished a big thing . . . you have a lot of issues on your plate right now including the prospect of surgery, but you are taking the right steps --- recognizing an issue, looking for triggers, seeing a therapist, looking for alternatives, but you also have to be kind to yourself and recognize that these are accomplishments; they are steps forward; and they do reflect a strength that will see you through a process . . . I won't lie to you and say that my process was a straight line . . .there were speed bumps but I sense that you are committed to moving back into being "normal" - given the fact that you have had minor anxiety that passed relatively quickly may point to your increasing capacity to manage anxiety which is always a good sign . . . remember that often anxiety is present for a long time before it rears its ugly head so you need to also recognize that it will take a bit of time to dismantle the triggers but you most certainly are on the right path and you most certainly have the strength to achieve anything you set yourself to do . . . keep in touch when you can . . .and, yes, you will feel "normal" again . . . just keep working on it . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Tags: