Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does anyone else get this?  (Read 163 times)

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does anyone else get this?
« on: May 30, 2014, 11:11:49 AM »
When straining (i.e. for a bowel movement) I get a headrush/headache that lasts maybe a second or two. Anyone else get this?

I'm still convinced that I have a brain tumor. My symptoms are:

Head/neck ache upon awakening - although this disappeared last week while on vacation, so I'm thinking it might be my pillows/mattress
Brief headache when straining
Headache when going from sitting to standing position (sometimes happens, not all of the time)
Intense deja vu moments
Olfactory hallucinations (smelling things that aren't really there)
Drowsiness - more than usual
Disequilibrium - my equilibrium will go "off" for a second or two. I've never fallen but it is a brief moment of dizziness and I always feel tired afterward
Intense brain fog

Anyway, these are my symptoms. I have an appointment with a neurologist next week, but my husband really doesn't want me to go. Money is SUPER tight right now, and I would have to take the kids to a sitter for the day ($55) and then pay my copay ($50) PLUS pay for any additional testing (EEG, MRI - both VERY expensive tests) because our deductible is $5000 and has not been met.

I still really want to go, mainly for peace of mind. I spoke with 2 neurologists online and one of them thinks that I'm having seizure activity (olfactory hallucinations, deja vu, disequilibrium, ect) but he doesn't think that I have a brain tumor. So I'm still scared anyway. Why would I be having seizure activity if I DIDN'T have a brain tumor?!?! I had a CT scan 2.5 YEARS AGO (a long time, in my book) of my brain when I started having the olfactory hallucinations and it was clear, but the deja vu is new and from what I've read, your seizures aren't supposed to change unless the underlying cause of your seizures gets worse. So.....I'm convinced I have a brain tumor and I'm desperately trying to resist the urge to google "brain tumor simple partial seizures" - because those are the type of seizures I'm having...if they are truly seizures.

*sigh* super scared.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does anyone else get this?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »
Oh, and sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night and my body will shake. Like a tremor, but all over. And I'll be awake enough to turn over and fall back to sleep. weird.
Bookmark and Share

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:55:39 AM »
Well, you've been feeling this way for a while, but I doubt any of us here will be able to convince you otherwise of your fear. You're afraid you have a brain tumor. You probably don't have one, even based on the evidence you provide, but I doubt very much that it makes much of a difference to you that I say that.

First off, that head rush feeling you get while straining is called the vasovagal response (don't google that!), and it's a very natural response to certain physical and emotional stimuli that effect that vagus nerve.

Also, speaking to doctors online is no substitute for the real thing. You're basing your belief that you have a brain tumor on the fact that you believe your symptoms are attributable to seizure activity, but you have ZERO evidence that that's the case. Anxiety can cause all of the things you're experiencing, and it's a FAR MORE COMMON problem than brain tumors, believe me.

My dad had a brain tumor, a fatal one, and his symptoms were nothing like yours. I won't get into particulars, but his were CONSTANT, SEVERE, and PROGRESSIVE.

You say money is tight right now. That's alright, it's keeping you from getting these tests that aren't going to give you lasting peace of mind. If you can't afford therapy or anxiety treatment, there are still plenty of FREE, helpful things you can do, which include staying off google, mindful meditation, deep breathing exercises, and general hobbies. I know this sucks right now—I know—but you have GOT to take even small steps to help yourself out of this situation. Right now, you're in a loop where your fear is perpetuating your symptoms, and your symptoms are making your stress worse, which breed more symptoms, and more fear. It's never ending if you let it be, but eventually you're going to have to short out that circuit.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 02:32:47 AM »
The head rush is likely from vagus nerve stimulation; the headache from the straining.  Straining is a good way to give yourself hemorrhoids - add more fiber and water in your diet so you won't have to at all. 

I've had all the other symptoms you've described.  I was worried about a brain tumor, too.  Take a wild guess what it turned out to be.  (Hint: anxiety.)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: