Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: question about son sleepwalking  (Read 97 times)

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
question about son sleepwalking
« on: May 30, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
hi
my 13 year old son was sleepwalking last night for the first time. i woke up because he turned on the light in the room down the hall from me. when i went to see what he was doing he was standing in the guest room. i asked him what he was doing and he said "pitching". he said some other things related to a video baseball game he got recently. i told him he was and led him back to bed. then he was not awake still so i asked him some other questions and decided to put him in bed with me(i was afraid he might go out the front door or something). anyway. my HA mind wants to go "there". what if he has a brain tumor, etc.  my anxiety self is concerned about the realities of it...what if he does try to leave, or something.   as i said, he has never done this before, and i hope it was just a fluke. was it because he played too much of that game in the last 2 days? 
also, he is going off to sleepaway camp(my big fear every year!!!)in 10 days. i'm really concerned about it happening there!!!
so, i'm not going to google what causes sleep walking, or why it would just start happening now...i would like to hear from y'all though....anyone else know anything about this? what i should do? etc
thanks
reece
ps he has a dr appt next week(already scheduled), so i will mention it to her then....
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: question about son sleepwalking
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 02:31:08 AM »
I used to sleepwalk a fair bit as a kid.  Not too frequently but every so often I'd wake up in another room, etc.  Apparently I'm still known to do this once in a very rare while, according to my mother (I, of course, have no recollection of this!)  I never tried to leave the apartment, etc.  I've peed in non-bathroom places a couple of times, though.  For your sake I hope your son doesn't develop that little quirk!   :laugh3:

Anyway, there's nowhere to "go" with this.  Sleepwalking is super-common and just one of those funny things that happens.  A big trigger for it can be stress - is he nervous about camp, or end of school year tests? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:15:02 AM »
Sleep walking is often a manifestation of anxiety.  I slept walk as a kid even through early adulthood.  It was frequent and I'm still here so I assume there are some internal controls keeping you from hurting yourself.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Online famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:40:44 AM »
My middle son whose 10 years old, sleepwalks maybe a handful of times a year.  It can be startling and funny at the same time. 

Most times I catch him just walking with his pillow and sheet.  I'll ask him what he's doing and he gives me some sort of jumbled answer or something that completely doesn't make sense.  I just guide him back to his bed and he goes right back to sleep.  I'll tell him about it in the morning and he'll deny he did it. (haha) 

My brother used to do that as a kid, too.  My parents have told the story about finding him out in the garage.  They asked him what he was doing and he said he was going to the bathroom.  I'm not sure if he actually did like Mollyfin mentioned  :laugh3:, but it's a funny memory for everyone.

I wouldn't worry about it.  It's completely normal.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: