Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Need some reassurance - so scared everyday  (Read 105 times)

Offline wanderlust2386

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need some reassurance - so scared everyday
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:15:08 AM »
I have been having chest pains right below my breastbone, as well as my upper chest, neck and arms. I'm being treated for anxiety right now as the doctor did an ekg, chest xray and blood work and everything came back normal. Now I'm confused if my anxiety is causing my pain or my pain is causing my anxiety. It's getting to the point where I can't even move much at work. And repeated physical lifting or job task makes me chest muscles sting. It seems to hurt more with lots of movement but it it still painful at rest. The worse part is it radiates to my neck, arm, and back. I can't help but think something is very wrong with me. So I keep looking things up thinking I have the worst possible thing. My doctor told me to try some advil(duh) and come to him in a week if it still hurts. Anyone have a clue what this could be?? I'm so scared. I'm a 27 year old female, have a pretty active job (pastry chef) and I'm in generally good health. I feel like my heart is just going to give out on me. I've diagnosed myself with everything from fibro to angina to lung cancer. I just need something to put my mind at ease. At first the initial tests put me at ease for a bit, but now I'm a mess again and in a lot of pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need some reassurance - so scared everyday
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 01:39:55 AM »
Let the initial tests continue to put your mind at ease, because if you had anything serious they surely would have caught it.

I had chest pain too, not long ago. I was so afraid I might have a heart attack that I almost went to the ER. I'm still not sure what it was, but I had it almost every day for about a month-- Pain like a dull ache when my breathing increased, like with light exercise, and sometimes it would shoot up my neck or across my collar bone to my shoulder. My dad had something very similar, along with a cough, and the doctor told him it was a viral infection in the bronchial tubes that would just have to work its way out. The fact is that chest pain could be caused by many, many things, and the chances of it being serious are extremely slim. Especially for a young person like you.

My doctor and I were talking about anxiety today, and she assured me that it really can cause actual physical symptoms in a person. One of the most common ones I hear of is chest pain and shortness of breath. Maybe your pain is caused by anxiety, or maybe your anxiety is making it worse. Regardless of the cause, you will get through this. Just take it one day at a time until you feel better. You WILL feel better. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline wanderlust2386

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:14:23 AM »
Thank you for your reply. It certainly helps to hear from others who have experienced similar things. I don't think I will ever be at ease about this until it goes away, but I'm trying really hard not to worry too much. As I've noticed the nights I go surfing google for answers, I always end up with heart palpitations and  fear, which lead to panic.  The days following my labs I was virtually anxiety free. I've always had back/neck pain (comes with my job) but the chest is new and such a dangerous spot it has literally spun my mind out of control.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sleepingbear

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »
I've had the same.  Someone told me once, "you have to start trusting something," meaning if the doctor tells you your tests are normal, go with it.  I totally understand not being able to relax as long as the constant reminder, the discomfort, is there.  I've taken Tylenol just so the benign discomfort would go away and I could forget about it.  I also think it's important to be sure you're seeing a therapist for how to handle the health anxiety (if you're not already).  I wish I had done this when I first began having problems.  Best to you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: