Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: When your heart hurts  (Read 158 times)

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
When your heart hurts
« on: May 28, 2014, 11:48:50 PM »
Tonight we had to put one of our dogs to sleep unexpectedly. I have been crying for hours... I will stop, then start again. Now my heart literately hurts. I have felt this before, and I know its a feeling that will go away. But what gets me is my emotional pain is manifesting into a physical feeling of my heart hurting.

I know that mental pain can manifest as physical. My anxiety/depression comes across as pain in my right shoulder and back. Does anyone know why my heart hurts? Am I imagining it??
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
Re: When your heart hurts
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:00:35 AM »
I am so sorry about the loss of you dog  :(  So sad.  When you are sad, just really sad, the emotional feelings can definitely manifest as a physical pain.  I don't have a 100% answer on why.  I do know that emotional pain is very tiring on the body - expends alot of energy and makes muscles tighten.  I believe that's what causes the pain.  I don't know if there is more to it.  I do know it is normal and will pass.  Although I know you don't feel like it, I would try to be "kind" to your body.  Maybe make a favorite tea, pick up a book, watch a favorite movie, just to be kind to your body and let it calm.  If your body is feeling tight and achy from the tension, I would take some advil before bed - just to help the muscles relax.  I don't think you are imagining it, but I do think it is a response to the emotional stress and physical tension of the sadness.  Especially if you are an otherwise healthy person (no current underlying heart issues you had been treated for before all of this - and no, they wouldn't magically happen right now!)  Be kind to yourself.  Allow yourself to grieve.  Accept the pain is part of the sadness.  Then treat your body kindly and allow it to heal.  Hope this helped.  Hang in there.
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline Kavenchols

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:21:48 AM »
The more you have loved and have allowed yourself to suffer because of your love, the more you will be able to let your heart grow wider and deeper. When your love is truly giving and receiving, those whom you love will not leave your heart even when they depart from you. The pain of rejection, absence, and death can become fruitful. Yes, as you love deeply the ground of your heart will be broken more and more, but you will rejoice in the abundance of the fruit it will bear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
So sorry for your loss, I know how devastating it is to lose a beloved pet.  You're going though the emotional pain and grief that comes with that loss.....but it will get better with time.

Take care :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline bodhi

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:47:07 PM »
So sorry for your loss. I lost a beloved cat in March and I am still sad, so I understand.

Heart hurting has been an ongoing anxiety symptom for many years for me.

I've had it checked out with no actual problems and been told its anxiety by doctors a couple of times.

From what I read on this forum, I now believe it because it is so common. So when my heart hearts, I just try to move on and relax.

Of course its always good to get it checked out, but if the doc says its anxiety, it probably is.

Bookmark and Share
Buddhism 5 Minute Introduction: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

Tags: