Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does Prednisone cause high heart rate?  (Read 105 times)

Offline Lisa45

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does Prednisone cause high heart rate?
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:33:01 PM »
Hi all! New here, and glad this forum is around!

I suffer usually from occasional panic attacks, but have been doing well for a long time, not on any anxiety meds.

I recently suffered from tinnitus and hearing loss in one ear. The ENT put me on Prednisone - 40 mgs for 5 days, then 20 mgs for 5 days, then nothing.

I was worried about this (he originally wanted to start me on 60 mgs, but I knew I couldn't do it).

I have asthma, and know that once a few years ago I tried 40 mgs a day, and woke up w/ my heart pounding. To an average person, this would be no issue...but to someone w/ a propensity for panic/anxiety, this is no good! I feel fine, just a racing heart.

So I said I'd try. I have only had one pill so far today (20 mgs). That was 7 hours ago, and I should take the next one. However my heart rate, which is normally 68 to 73, is now 96. Of course, this is making me feel anxious, which probably only exacerbates the issue!

It has come down to 84, but that is still very high - for me.

Has anyone had experience w/ this side effect on Prednisone? What did you do? It's late, I can call a pharmacy and see if I should take the second one. I really need to see if this helps my ear issue, I don't think they will want to decrease the dose to 30 mgs (which I think I can handle). It may be just me and my heart rate. I can't imagine only 20 mgs on the first day would do this. My heart rate does vacillate sometimes so who knows?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I guess I can always call a pharmacist!

Thanks again,

Lisa45
Bookmark and Share

Online BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does Prednisone cause high heart rate?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:56:47 PM »
Lisa45,

Welcome to the forum.  You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Lisa, I'm not that familiar with prednisone, so would not begin to give you any advice.  If you are concerned it wouldn't hurt to check with your pharmacist.  It's hard for those of us with anxiety, because it could just be the anxiety causing your heart rate to increase. 

Good luck to you, and again, welcome to AZ.

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:26:30 AM »
I believe pred can do that. I've been on it a couple times and it always makes me feel jittery like I've had a pot of coffee.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wolf44

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:44 PM »
Anything else since taking Prednisone?
Bookmark and Share
"We spent half our life crawling around the bottom of a glass bowl, and we ain't going back." Raphael TMNT

The past is all that's gone,
The future is yet to come.
This moment is all our own.
We should live this way,
Just building up our day,
Now and forever.
-Eiffel 65 Song

Tags: