Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pregnant & broke light bulb with mercury  (Read 194 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mom21

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 165
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pregnant & broke light bulb with mercury
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:11:52 PM »
I am freaking out. I am 33 weeks pregnant with twins. My husband and I were working in the nursery and I dropped a curly bulb on our floor vent and the bulb busted. I stood there for a minute or so before he told me to leave. I looked up how to clean it up properly and all I read is how the mercury is so dangerous, especially to unborn babies. I'm worried
 this will harm my babies!!! I surely breathed it in. I don't know what to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6883
  • Country: 00
  • Rec's: 68
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pregnant & broke light bulb with mercury
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:57:46 PM »
First of all, congratulations! 

There isn't enough mercury in those bulbs to harm anyone.  They do contain some mercury but here is a comparison:

Each bulb contains 4-5 mg of mercury.  The old school thermometers with mercury in them had ONE HUNDRED TIMES that amount - and our grandparents and parents used to break those open all the time (and play with the mercury in some cases). 
Bookmark and Share