Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: rabies fear please help me again  (Read 479 times)

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: rabies fear please help me again
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »
There is no way the dog has rabies. None.
If that's the only way you're returning him, that's really overkill, IMO.

I don't have direct experience, but it is possible to work with a dog that bites. It might require starting with a trainer, though. G/L.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 56
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
If you can afford it I'd look into a trainer if the biting has happened more than once.  Biting is nothing to mess around with, especially when you have kids in the house.  (And not because of rabies; because if the dog gets loose and bites someone you're looking at possibly having your dog euthanized.)  The dog was probably just stressed out and scared, but that's still a reaction you want to get rid of as soon as possible. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline lynbeechwood

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
Thank you all for caring about my topic to respond. She was afraid when she bit- it is becoming obvious that this dog does not like men. I will return her to the rescue as I can work with a volunteer there who assured me she could rehabilitate her and find her a more suitable home. My teen daughter is so upset with me but I just cannot risk this dog biting in our neighborhood or other family members- I just can't. I don't know if u can train a dog not to bite? I mean how can I ever fully feel secure about it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline lynbeechwood

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 11:37:11 AM »
Oh also you can get rabies just thru saliva that enters mucous membranes --meaning eyes, nose, or mouth. Rabies can be spread by licking not just biting-- this is directly from my vet who I spoke with last night. This is not to scare anyone this is a fact.trust me I wish this wasn't possible because I have been licked by this dog a lot!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 56
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
The dog doesn't have rabies.  But I would strongly recommend getting your anxiety issues worked through before bringing another pet into the house.   
Bookmark and Share

Tags: