Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: rabies fear please help me again  (Read 348 times)

Offline lynbeechwood

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
rabies fear please help me again
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
I messaged last week. I have had a 4 year old poodle in my house since may 11th. It is now 16 days out- how would I know if the dog is "normal" without rabies?
My husband had to put her in a crate tonight and she snapped at him and it bled. He washed the bite and has a dr appt tomorrow. I am freaking out- I just got her-- what if we all have rabies? I dont trust the rescue anymore---- please help me....
Bookmark and Share

Offline gracehorn22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: rabies fear please help me again
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
That is exactly why I joined this forum is the fear of rabies. What I have found online is that is it very unlikely that a dog or cat has rabies and if they did they would die in time for you to get the vaccination. It is more likely in bats and only .5% of bats have rabies. Only 1-2 people a year die from rabies also. If the cut is washed for ten minutes with hot water and soap this also reduces your chance of rabies to almost none. I hope this makes you feel a little bit better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lynbeechwood

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »
She has licked me and my kids so much I am now afraid we all have the virus. I am having to return her to the rescue because I am such a wreck and heart broken on top of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gracehorn22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »
Licking won't do anything unless it gets into a deep open wound. The vaccination will keep you from getting rabies and the dog will start showing symptoms before you do so you can get them before you even get sick. You'll be okay :) I just went through what you are feeling so I know how it's hard to believe you don't but I talked to two medical doctors about it and have done lots of research and I am starting to trust them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lynbeechwood

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
I just talked to my vet- he said keep the dog 10 extradays and if she remains symptom free we should be okay. I am still a wreck I just dont know if I should return her to the rescue. They can find her a new home but it just saddens me-- and now I am going go tltally stress about me and my kids having rabies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lynbeechwood

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:18:53 PM »
My fear stems from the issue of not knowing if her rabies certificate is actually hers. They dont give out metal tags at the rescue due to expense. So I have to believe that they did give her the shot and the paper mTches her. Im scared!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:53:17 PM »
Dude.  The dog does not have rabies.  Stop worrying about the dog and worry about your mental health.  Sorry to be harsh, but do you want your kids to end up obsessing like this as they get older too?  Worst case scenario your husband gets an infected dog bite and will get some antibiotics, but even that's unlikely unless it was a really deep bite.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lynbeechwood

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »
Any one else have advice? Have you ever trained a dog that has bitten?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »
When I worked as a dog groomer in college I got bitten on a regular basis by both dogs and cats. I also now live in the country with a dog and three cats, all of which go outside and the cats hunt. I am just fine.  Your dog is not rabbid...if it were it would be dead by now.  You need to treat your anxiety, not your nonexistent rabies.  Please seek the help of a mental health professional so you can stop worrying and start enjoying your new dog.  If training is an issue most large pet stores offer cheap or free obedience classes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:55:49 AM »
You said you got the dog from a rescue?  I'm sure they would have vaccinated the dog to protect their own people.  Not to mention rabies is rare for dogs (at least in the US).  I live in Maryland and the last case of a human dying of rabies in 30 years came from a bad blood transfusion.  As far as the dog biting... you have to remember its getting adjusted to a new home.  Was your husband trying to force the dog into the crate?  The dog will react with fear and defend itself.  Use a treat as incentive to get the dog into the crate.  Also remember you have now knowledge of how this dog was treated prior to adoption.  It might hate men because it was abused by one earlier.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »
There is no way the dog has rabies. None.
If that's the only way you're returning him, that's really overkill, IMO.

I don't have direct experience, but it is possible to work with a dog that bites. It might require starting with a trainer, though. G/L.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
If you can afford it I'd look into a trainer if the biting has happened more than once.  Biting is nothing to mess around with, especially when you have kids in the house.  (And not because of rabies; because if the dog gets loose and bites someone you're looking at possibly having your dog euthanized.)  The dog was probably just stressed out and scared, but that's still a reaction you want to get rid of as soon as possible. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline lynbeechwood

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
Thank you all for caring about my topic to respond. She was afraid when she bit- it is becoming obvious that this dog does not like men. I will return her to the rescue as I can work with a volunteer there who assured me she could rehabilitate her and find her a more suitable home. My teen daughter is so upset with me but I just cannot risk this dog biting in our neighborhood or other family members- I just can't. I don't know if u can train a dog not to bite? I mean how can I ever fully feel secure about it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline lynbeechwood

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 11:37:11 AM »
Oh also you can get rabies just thru saliva that enters mucous membranes --meaning eyes, nose, or mouth. Rabies can be spread by licking not just biting-- this is directly from my vet who I spoke with last night. This is not to scare anyone this is a fact.trust me I wish this wasn't possible because I have been licked by this dog a lot!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
The dog doesn't have rabies.  But I would strongly recommend getting your anxiety issues worked through before bringing another pet into the house.   
Bookmark and Share

Tags: