Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I have my first ever appointment with a mental health professional...  (Read 158 times)

Online zav4999

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
After a real bad anxiety attack that led to a month long battle with depression, I finally realized that I needed to seek some guidance from a professional in the field of anxiety/depression. I have managed my anxiety for a long time but when that random anxiety attack happened last month, it really affected me and I realized I needed to talk with someone who knows about this stuff. So I have a appointment June 6th and I was told it's going to be a 2 hour appointment. What should I be expecting? I am a very open person and I want to get my history with anxiety out there and hopefully get a better picture of what type i'm dealing with and what I can do to better manage it. I'd appreciate any feedback of other peoples first experiences with a mental health professional and how it's gone.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
What should I be expecting? I am a very open person and I want to get my history with anxiety out there and hopefully get a better picture of what type i'm dealing with and what I can do to better manage it.

Just explain tour history as fully as you can and you'll will be fine. The biggest problem psychiatrists have is that people don't tell them everything. It can be difficult making a diagnosis with only partial information.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online worldbeat99

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
When I went to a new therapist, a lot of the time I spent was filling out questionnaires.
I had a good experience with ACT therapy.  Was getting meds prescribing by general doctor,
but am going to see a psych. next month if my Buspar doesn't kick in for GAD.

Good luck.  It's good that you're seeing a professional.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
That is a great point, Insights.  The doctors/therapists really do listen to what you tell them. And tell them everything, because things that you think aren't relevant, actually might be relevant.

Sometimes a first appointment can be frustrating because the therapist has to ask a ton of background questions and you might feel that you just want to solve your problem. But I think the fact that your first appointment is two hours is good, hopefully you will be able to do both!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Whisper181

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
After a real bad anxiety attack that led to a month long battle with depression, I finally realized that I needed to seek some guidance from a professional in the field of anxiety/depression. I have managed my anxiety for a long time but when that random anxiety attack happened last month, it really affected me and I realized I needed to talk with someone who knows about this stuff. So I have a appointment June 6th and I was told it's going to be a 2 hour appointment. What should I be expecting? I am a very open person and I want to get my history with anxiety out there and hopefully get a better picture of what type i'm dealing with and what I can do to better manage it. I'd appreciate any feedback of other peoples first experiences with a mental health professional and how it's gone.
It's great that you are reaching out to get professional help. Dealing with depression/anxiety alone is extremely difficult.  One of the things I would suggest discussing on your appointment is what the effect your dietary habits may have on your moods.  The food we eat is the most powerful "drug" we put into our bodies.  Diets that are high in sugar and processed greatly depletes the brains ability to product serotonin and other neurotransmitters that are essential to promoting "good moods".  You may want to consider a diet higher in protein, veggies and fruit and stay away from sugar and processed foods.  It helps to reduce cravings as well.  I know when I am in a depressed mood, my body tends to crave chocolate and ice cream.  When I have a steady diet of whole foods with lots of veggies, I feel energetic and have a positive outlook.

Best of luck to you.  If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.
Bookmark and Share
Imagine being able to overcome depression, anxiety, irritability, stress, over sensitivity, emotional eating.... naturally with clinically proven alternatives.  PM me with questions.

Tags: