Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: To ALS phobics -- this is a great article -I believe they even mention this site  (Read 270 times)

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
This article was written by a journalist who went through a major HA attack worrying about ALS (something which I also freaked about when my twitches / BFS began 17 years ago).  In the article, the author mentions finding a large website for HA sufferers, many of which thought they had ALS because of fasciculations... I believe she's talking about us!  Check it out!  http://www.youandmemagazine.com/articles/living-in-fear

Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm 5 months into nonstop calve twitching and oh man does it SUCK. Fast fire. Some are felt and some not. I have to move my legs 24/7. Sucks :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
There are SO MANY benign causes of twitching that it's ridiculous. The problem is (as the author in the above article discovered) is that when you type "fasciculations / twitches" into Google, it can really scare the crap outta people. Unless there is VISIBLE wasting of the leg (and noticeable weakness where you are tripping, unable to walk properly, etc.) it's BFS (benign fasciculation syndrome).  A bad knee, a pinched nerve, a problem in the lower back, pinches disks, one leg slightly shorter than the other (very common), etc.  You may also have a form of restless leg syndrome, in which case, there are medications to help. Be Blessed :)
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I know. That's why no one would give me an EMG. Pass he clinical well and it's instantly bfs. Bfs is terrible it reminds you of what you COULD have.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
God bless this author (Jill C. Horton).  Here are a few simple tests that a neurologist would do to evaluate muscles and rule out ALS.  I can collaborate this, because (back in the day) I had a total of FIVE visits to 2 separate neurologists and these were tasks I was asked to do.   http://voices.*****/muscle-twitching-help-foot-drop-strength-test-for-1472503.html?cat=70

It's important to remember that if you were to do poorly one one or two of the tests, that there are MANY possible causes; nonetheless, if you're looking to rule out muscular dystrophy (als for example), it's VERY reassuring.   :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Help a sister out, what exactly IS ALS? It makes me worried that I don't know since my hands and feet have been twitching like crazy!!! What if I have this ALS and I don't even know what it is?!?!!?
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You wouldn't have to find it. It would find you. Don't worry about it. How long have you been twitching?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've yet to find a 22 year old with bfs/no emg diagnosis and the twitching I have. Scary.
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It's normally at night time and it's my second toe from the left on my right food and my left hand occasionally. Also sometimes I get random twitches in my arm and legs muscles and stuff like that. But what is this ALS?!?! I'm freaking out!
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 20
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've yet to find a 22 year old with bfs/no emg diagnosis and the twitching I have. Scary.

Why is that scary?  I know many a young person with twitching, several here as a matter of fact.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Shawn. They're always going in my calves. Looks like hot water boiling under my skin. A pop here, there, over there. Sometimes I feel it and sometimes I don't. I just feel like this is different. I've never experienced something for this long...5 months this Monday.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rubbr_Dukkie

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You've found a bunch on this forum.

I for one am 21 and every muscle in my body twitches like crazy when I'm stressed out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Yeah but your calves dont go 24/7..all random calf spots
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Who else has bfs?!?
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
Who else has bfs?!?

Me.  Started about 21 months ago.  I passed the emg tests, and every other neurological test they could think of.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack