Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Diabetes coma? Any knowledge?  (Read 176 times)

Offline amyjeannie

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Diabetes coma? Any knowledge?
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
Recently I've been having concerns about brain tumors and what not but just recently I've thought more about Type 2 diabetes. My cousin has type 1 but my grandpa has type 2 so there is a history. I'm a larger girl, 5'3" weighing 235 pounds at the age of 21. I know I need to lose weight. However, I feel like it might be too late for me. My vision is starting to act very strange, my body parts are either achy or move involuntarily, and this morning when I woke up I had terrible chest pain and a difficult time breathing. It wasn't like I couldn't breathe it was just I didn't feel like I was ever able to take a complete breath. Also, I am EXTREMELY tired! I'm always wanting to sleep, even though sometimes I can't. I'm just really scared of going into a diabetic coma. I have acid reflux so that could be part of my chest pain but I feel like it's all related. Anybody know anything about diabetic comas? Can you get them if you haven't been diagnosed with Type 2 yet? I blocked most of my websites about stuff like this from Dr. Google so any advice or knowledge helps! Thank you ahead of time!!!!
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Diabetes coma? Any knowledge?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:14:21 AM »
Diabetic ketoacidosis is MUCH more common in type I diabetes.  If you were to develop diabetes it would most likely be type II.  Diabetic ketoacidosis is the most common cause of "diabetic coma".  While type II diabetics can technically go into something called hyperosmolar coma, I have seen diabetics push 1000 on their blood sugars without any serious instability of vitals.

Normally I am here for moral support and to tell people their fears are in their head.  While I believe your fear of coma from diabetes is catastrophic thinking, your fear of diabetes is not.  With a family history and some weight issues you have a strong likelihood of becoming diabetic at some point.  What is good about this is type II diabetes many times can be avoided through simple lifestyle changes.  These would not only decrease your liklihood of diabetes but would help your anxiety.  You are likely in a vicious cycle of emotional eating, which adds weight, which worsens self esteem and increases cortisol and other stress hormones.  I would start your treatment for anxiety not just with cognitive behavioral therapy but walks in the park, and weight lifting.  The best way to burn fat and decrease glucose levels is weight lifting...for men and women.  Women overlook weightlifting but it's hands down the BEST type of exercise to decrease fat and it's not even close.  This would also greatly help with anxiety, depression and insomnia.  If you are like most women who are a few pounds overweight you probably feel self conscious going to a gym.  So, start light at home with some dumbbells, add ankle weights to your walks, if you have room in your home for a small weight room with a squat rack there is nothing better.  Couple this with strict calorie counting (dont get sucked into carbs vs fat debate it's all nonsense), eat frequent small meals 5-6 times a day, lots of water and stay under 1800 calories.  You will watch a slow and steady decline in weight, and a great improvement in your anxiety and depression.

PS-before you start any diet or exercise program talk to your doc to make sure you are fit enough to handle it.  Not to mention it would be a good idea to get your BS checked.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline SuspiciousPopsicle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »
Get your blood glucose checked, if you haven't been diagnosed you can't get comas. Your putting yourself at risk down the line for lots of complications with being overweight.
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »
Thank you both for your replies. I can't say it calmed my nerves, in all honesty it made them soar, but at least you were being honest. I feel like I'm about to drop dead any minute from diabetes and in all honesty I'm too scared to go to my doctor in fear that they'll say I have it and then that's the point of no return. It's just a long trip to death with diabetes. I actually am joining a gym this month though and my aunt, who has lost 100 pounds in the past two years, is going to help me with my food eating habits. I really don't eat that much and I'm not much of an emotional eater. It's mostly just what I eat and how much I'm not active. Thanks for your advice, no matter how painful it was to read.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »
Its never too late.  If you're worried about it get it checked.  If your blood sugar was high enough to have a comma you'd be having: extreme thirst, frequent urination, very bad dry mouth.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 03:58:39 PM »
Oh no! I have been having really bad dry mouth and I'm always thirsty! Also, I even wrote a post about how much I've been urinating!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »
You need to get it checked.  Putting your head in the sand won't help but lifestyle changes will!  That means you have power over this disease.  It starts with knowledge of what you are dealing with.  A good place to start would be to grab a 20 dollar glucose meter and do a fasting blood sugar.  Let us know how that works out.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:12:06 PM »
I'm worried that I'm going to check myself or have somebody check me and then I'll have to go straight to the ER! Guys, this is freaking me out!  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 04:15:34 PM »
I'm worried that I'm going to check myself or have somebody check me and then I'll have to go straight to the ER! Guys, this is freaking me out!  :traurig001:

You need to get yourself together.  This is catastrophic thinking.  Type II diabetes doesn't work like that.  But, it's something you need to know.  If you have diabetes...well ok you have diabetes.  People now can live 50+ years without a problem with diabetes under careful glucose controls.  You are making this into a monster when it is in fact something you have much control over which can't be said about many other disease processes.  Go get checked out, not because I believe you have it but because if you do the sooner you know the better. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
That's true. Thank you ShawnW. I may stop over at my grandpa's tonight and get it checked out. That will either put my nerves to ease or send me to the hospital but you're right, then I would know. I'll let you guys know the results as soon as I can!   ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »
Its very treatable Amy.  I like millions of other people have it.  My A1c (2-3 month blood sugar) was 12 which is real high.  Meds and diet changes have cut that in half.  Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: