Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How did you begin to have health anxiety? Would love to hear.  (Read 558 times)

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I will share my story. I was 19 years old and had my first panic attack. After that, I thought I had a heart condition. I did not have internet during this time. But I constantly worried and felt pains in my chest, my chest was tight and my arm would ache and I would get scared. I checked my heart beats every day with a stethoscope and my chest would even tingle. It finally went away after a few months and so did my health anxiety. I no longer worried about my body having a disease.

Now here I am, at 36 with it all over again. What started this? I will tell you as briefly as possible. I started feeling like the floor was bouncing underneath my feet in feb. I tried not to freak out bit the mind made me start believing it was a seizure coming on from playing too many video games. I could not see my dr for several weeks and that sent me to dr google. I read about inner ear diseases and mdds. Scared me cause I didn't want my eqilibrium to be messed up for life. So I was upset and worried. But I read about sinuses causing the same thing. I was having some other things that were sinus related and then I had a pain over my ear which lead me to thinking it was a brain disease. Then I began to think it was a brain tumor. The kind that most children get that's in the cerebellum since that's what part has to do with balance. And my eyes didn't want to focus and so I really thought I had a brain tumor. Even after my dr did a neurological exam and told me I worried too much.

I was sent to a ent and she said sounded like sinuses and put me on more meds. Predinsone and another strong antibiotic and that made my balance feel normal. But sadly I was already bed bound cause of how it set off my anxiety. But even after that, still thought I had brain tumor. So I told my ent I wanted ct scan of sinuses and she said that it would show my brain. So the ct scan was clear and she explained how sinuses mess up
The ears and ect.

So now cause of being stressed out and mainly google, I have been in bed and now legs are weak a little and still worry. And my cheek will feel weird and I worry about that.  So here I am battling this again.

Would love to hear how you all developed health anxiety. :)
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline amyjeannie

• Rec's: 0
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How did you begin to have health anxiety? Would love to hear.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:23:10 PM »
For me it started out much like you, however I have been a worrier most of my life, just like my grandma. However, I didn't really start worrying about diseases or anything until late January 2014. I was 20 at the time, I'm not 21, and I was home from Bible college on winter break. I was constantly staying up late watching tv and one day when all of my family was in bed but me I started having really bad chest pain. I started feeling as if I could never breath and let me tell you, it scared me like crazy! My parents started asking if I wanted to go to the hospital and that scared me even more! I didn't go to the hospital but I did go to the doctor and she told me that I had acid reflux. Seriously? There I was every night thinking I was having a heart attack and instead it was acid reflux. She put me on Zantac the night before I went back to college and I freaked out thinking I was going to have an allergic reaction, which I didn't. Anway to make a long story short I went back to college and started freaking out. I worried all the time that I was allergic to certain food which I had eaten before and was fine with, I was worried I was still going to have a heart attack, etc.
Soon I worried that I had tetanus and rushed to Urgent Care to get a booster shot which made me more scared because I thought I would have a reaction to it. I soon ended up having weird sensations that I was going to get an infection and die and I worked in the cafeteria with raw meat and that did not help! Before school ended this past month the most recent fear was a brain tumor because I was having headaches on one side of my body and bad vision problems. I went to the Chaplain at school and she's planning on sending me to a clinical counselor. This past week I went from brain tumor to a pituitary gland tumor to type 2 diabetes back to a brain tumor. I'm still struggling but I'm getting better, slowly but surely. That was not short at all but it felt good to let it all out!  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »
Wow. You like me, if I'm in a state of panic and someone says go to hospital or dr I panic even more!! Then I think omg it must be real bad! 

So yours started out as acid reflux and mine a sinus infection. And now we think we have a brain problem. One day we will be laughing at this. I do kind of fine it funny bit it's pure hell at same time!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:08:06 AM »
I've had it my whole life - or at the very least I can't remember NOT having it.  Ever since I was a small child.  I think I get it from my mom; she's the same way, though less so as she gets older (maybe there's hope for me, then!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline adriannep

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:14:03 AM »
Mine started after a serious health problem at 23 years old. (I'll refrain from details to avoid triggering ppl, but just know it was 100% a genetic thing and pretty rare). Ever since then I have been known to catastrophise every symptom.... Headaches become brain rumors, chest ache becomes heart attacks, so on... It's been nearly five years and I've actually found myself doing MUCH better. Result of positive thinking, faith, and a killer support system!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 01:54:04 AM »
I was just thinking, when we feel things in our body, how do we know it's just anxiety or a real disease or not? By going to drs and them ruling out stuff?

I have been checked out. Even had ct scan. But I still feel off. Like how my cheek will feel numbish or my ear will get full and feel dizzy. Then I have hard time trusting drs. Why is it so hard? I try to tell myself it's just anxiety. And my drs have even said I worry too much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mom21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 07:45:08 AM »
My HA started after my dad was sick, diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and passed away all within a month. I was 4 months pregnant at the time with his first grandchild as well. Since then I've had every disease from PC to brain tumors. My biggest fear is cancer and that's always where my mind goes. I think if it happened to my dad it can happen to me too. Lately my HA has been about family members and I obsess over every ache and pain they have.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:47:48 AM »
When I was 25, I took too much Excedrin and it caused my heart to race and I went to the ER.
I am 57 now.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:23:08 AM »
Cancer is what runs in my family on both sides and I watched my grandmother battle it.  And I am like that with my mom sometimes. My grandmother which was her mother passed in 08 them my dad died of major heart attack on the jib and now and then I worry about my. When she got bit by something a while back I got very paranoid about it. Thought it was some poisonous spider. But wasn't.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 08:25:53 AM »
So some typos in there. My mom was one who was bitten I meant. Still not sure what it was. Was just some bug I guess.  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Online TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »
For me it was the side effects of a medication that sent me to the er after thinking I was having a stroke or heart attack when it was the med so since then I was 36 at the time and many trips to the er and doctors and many test showed nothing then 13 years later here I am still thinking the worse but I also do have some physical conditions and lost many family members to cancer or other illnesses so I worry everyday all day and feel miserable.
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
I had health anxiety first over TSS because I get headaches a lot, it was probably dehydration. I obsessed with TSS for awhile, then it was rabies once my fingers started to tingle after typing too much, and that fear was so bad, it lasted a year and sometimes I'd make multiple posts a day on here. Then the anxiety was bearable for awhile and I wasn't on here all the time. After awhile with my anxiety I did self harm (cutting myself) I still have the scars on my wrist, for I was so angry that I wasn't in theraphy, then I went to school and got into theraphy through that (I'm in high school). I now after about 8 months of theraphy, a change in diet, and a change in my lifestyle have little to no anxiety, the only anxiety I have is hormonal and I can't really make that stop. My anxiety is at an all time low now that i'm not catching wild animals or doing anything stupid like I did when I was younger. My anxiety is at an all time low, party time!  :banana: :party0006:
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline mroussa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 10:58:38 AM »
My mother died unexpectedly at 50. I was 16 weeks pregnant with our first child.
When our first child was born (a son) he was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis ***** 8 days old.
We suffered a miscarriage on our next pregnancy ***** 10 weeks.

I am surrounded by death & heartache. That's why I have HA.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »
My dad and step mom are medical professionals, occasionally they'd come home from work when I was younger and they'd tell each other about their patients that day. They worked in the PICU so they were seeing kids/teens in critical condition every day. I'd listen in on their conversations and every time they'd mention symptoms I'd check myself for that symptom.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline WishfullnHopefull

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
i had my first panic attack at 14 after that suffered with GAD for many years and eventally began thinking it was more than anxiety had checks bloods nothing ever came back wroung all clear after that became like a obsession
my doctor told me it is common to see people with anxiety or GAD to end up being a HA/hypercondriac
but there is help zoloft works great it also stops obsessions and thoughts really good id highly reccommend if yoou havent allready

50mg zoloft
Bookmark and Share

Tags: