Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: self-help suggestions/resources?  (Read 179 times)

Offline g3orj

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
self-help suggestions/resources?
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:09:12 PM »
Hi,

I have generalized anxiety. Can anyone suggest ways of dealing with this or recommend on-line sources for self-help? I know it is a good idea to see a doctor and possibly go to therapy or try medications but I am looking for additional suggestions to try.

In particular, are there any things you can do when you have to do something that you are anxious about?

Sometimes I find my anxiety is worse if I am hungry and I feel better after eating a meal, but today I had to do something and I was so anxious I felt nauseous and couldn't eat.  I tried lying down and doing relaxation exercises and that helped a little, but I couldn't really eat until hours after the situation was over. Are there things you can do to help recover afterward? Sometimes I feel badly for a day or more after I have to do something I am anxious about.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: self-help suggestions/resources?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:56:41 PM »
Hi, yoga can be good for GAD.  Also in person anxiety support groups.  I've been to Meetup groups.
Physical exercise, ACT and CBT therapies.  (Sent you a note.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline bodhi

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:28:26 PM »
I fill in TEA (Thinking Error Analysis) forms daily for about 15 minutes about things I an anxious about. Has really helped me the most and many others on this form say it completely cured them of anxiety. Read about how to do them here: http://www.dailystrength.org/groups/anxiety-and-positive-thinking-and-choices/news/view/1478155. This is the main book it came from: http://www.tao3.com/

Other things I do that help:

Walk/Stretch - or any other exercise. Outdoors is best.

Meditation - I do "Metta Loving Kindness" and Hoʻoponopono Self-I-Dentity meditation because it easily gives my mind something to focus on. Also deep breathing while listening to relaxation music.

ACT Therapy - Acceptance and Commitment therapy. The book "The Happiness Trap" is the best

Practice a belief - I was raised Christian and still go to church with my family, but when seeking help with anxiety I discovered Buddhism which I really think is a gem and I also visit the local monastery. I don't agree with everything in either religion, but it keeps my mind busy, positive and social. Plus in ACT therapy you need to define your personal values, so the ethics of Buddha is a great place to start whether you believe in god or not.

Be social - I try to connect with people positively as much as possible and ask for help when I need it (without overwhelming them too much)

Meds/herbs - Holy Basil is great, I also take Apple Cider Vinegar. I want to try St Johns Wart next. Chamomile tea is good too. I took meds years ago and was not for me.

So I am always learning and experimenting with different ways to cope. It can actually be fun to try things out like different herbs, teas, therapies, music, etc. and just see what works.

Bookmark and Share
Buddhism 5 Minute Introduction: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:10:55 PM »
Bodhi, I love The Happiness Trap too.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: