Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Depersonalization?!?  (Read 811 times)

Offline CrystalW91

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Depersonalization?!?
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »
Hello everyone I haven't posted on here in a while but I was doing better over a year with no panic attacks or anything it was great. (No I didn't use meds or see a psychiatrist or anything I actually forced myself to keep facing my fears). Anyways about a month ago I experienced something very strange. Out of nowhere I felt as though I was fading from my body. It was like I was watching myself do things but wasn't in control of myself, kind of like a robot I guess. I felt like I was in a first person shooter game just watching my life. Of course this triggered a terrible panic attack and ever since then I've had my anxiety back and this feeling hasn't entirely left. I looked it up and its called depersonalization. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they deal with it. I constantly walk around in some sort of brain fog and feel like I cant think or concentrate and my memory has became crap. Its starting to feel like its ruining my life and I don't know what to do I don't want to be stuck like this. When this first occurred I was going through a great deal of stress and was suffering from insomnia but I don't know if that is what triggered this for me. Any input?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Depersonalization?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 05:46:08 AM »
Distraction is the key word. There is no magic cure. But it can simply vanish for good over time. I know with me it did. Maybe I got so used to it and accepted it. It just stopped happening. But it can frighten people. Had a few odd episodes outside the house with it. Including coming home and going to my room and not even remembering I had been out. But simply try and breathe easy when it happens. Think of it as another state of mind. Some people use loose elastic bands on their wrists. Feel themselves drifting and they let the elastic sling. Can't be a tight one as that could cut the blood flow off. But it works for some people. Snaps them back out of it. But some day it will simply stop happening. That is how it seems to work.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline ElleC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:42:40 AM »
I've heard about people looking in the mirror when this happens, which sounds really weird, but apparently it works for some? A trick when anxious is to focus on the feeling of your feet when walking....how your feet feel in the shoes, the sound, etc. It's actually an acting/speech trick, but it can help with general anxiety too sometimes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
I have been having this sensation a lot lately as well, feeling like I'm in a dream. Then I panic over it. :(:(
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline Pawed

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »
Try looking up "grounding techniques" - ways to ground yourself back in reality.
I struggle with both depersonalization and derealization and find that, most of the time, I can "shock myself" into coming back from... wherever I was. I find that drinking something hot or cold makes me more aware of my own body, and placing my hands on my head (or giving myself a scalp massage) helps me to get back into my body rather than feeling like I'm floating next to it. But what works for one person wont necessarily work for another. All I can suggest is try until you find something that helps, and be patient with yourself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MeridianAD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 06:29:20 AM »
Try looking up "grounding techniques" - ways to ground yourself back in reality.
I struggle with both depersonalization and derealization and find that, most of the time, I can "shock myself" into coming back from... wherever I was. I find that drinking something hot or cold makes me more aware of my own body, and placing my hands on my head (or giving myself a scalp massage) helps me to get back into my body rather than feeling like I'm floating next to it. But what works for one person wont necessarily work for another. All I can suggest is try until you find something that helps, and be patient with yourself.

I agree with this.

I too have depersonalization sometimes, and it can range from feeling slightly "off" to being very disturbing feeling.

The best ways to deal with it for me are to change activities. Do something social (talk to someone), get something to eat/drink, or go outside and walk or something. Going outside on sunny summer days seems especially helpful for me - that usually just makes me feel really alive again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sas4td

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »
I get it, too. I don't like it. I think it's the brain trying to protect us from thinking about negative things we can't control.

I guess it's better to adjust our expectations.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: