Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hello everybody. Hope this forum can help me  (Read 68 times)

Offline Feelingfragile

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello everybody. Hope this forum can help me
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
Hi there

I'd rather keep my name to myself at the moment. Hope that's cool but never really used a forum before and a little weary.

Im 28 and since August last year I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. I have been to the hospital once, my gp half a dozen times and sadly enough called an ambulance to my house when I had a particularly scary one. I don't feel like I have been treated poorly during any of these but unfortunately haven't really received much in the way of how to make some of the really nasty symptoms stop.

My symptoms are 90% tied in to sleep where I get tight throat muscles, choking sensation, tight chest, feelings of dread in particular with the idea that I might stop breathing during sleep or right then and there. Recently nightmares have started to worm their way in too so not feeling too hot at the moment lol

So far I have managed to have it not effect my life too drastically but am starting to get concerned. I have a job I enjoy but is quite challenging so I kind of need to try and fix this.

I take my share of responsibility. I haven't been taking great care of myself and am going to make certain lifestyle changes to try and combat it but im here I guess for a bit of extra support and reassurance that this can get better and im not caught an inevitable tail spin. To be honest I think just talking about it might help.

I guess also I just got tired of feeling frustrated by not being able to do anything about it. When I first had the attacks it made sense as I had just lost my job but now I have a new one and am pretty settled it can be quite confusing as to why the symptoms have returned with a vengeance

So that's me. Hope my intro wasn't too rambling but as I said this is all pretty new to me

All the best
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello everybody. Hope this forum can help me
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:57:44 PM »
Hey there!

it's good you came here to talk with people who experience exactly what you go through. As a new member I also find it comforting to talk with the people here.

I'm still working on getting on my anxiety but trust me. It will get better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:26:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:24:17 AM »
Hey feelingfragile,
Don't worry, you never have to use your name.
I once heard that every panic attack you have after the first one is based on the fear of having another panic attack. So probably at night you're constantly checking in with yourself, "is my throat tight? How's my breathing? Am I having a panic attack?" It's a closed loop. You basically guarantee a PA by trying to convince yourself you aren't going to have one, or by worrying that you're about to have one.

But don't worry, you can beat it.
You can read When Panic Attacks, by David Burns. You can go to CBT. You can go to a pdoc and get meds to help.

I think the nighttime is a really common time for PAs, because you're not busy or distracted. It's just you and you're brain, thinking thinking thinking. I had daily attacks four or so years ago the lasted for months. I went to therapy and eventually they stopped and I haven't had one since.

Good luck. You'll beat them.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Tags: