Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Extremely short of breath... but only when I swallow  (Read 244 times)

Offline Daxter

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Extremely short of breath... but only when I swallow
« on: May 26, 2014, 06:00:54 AM »
I've been suffering horrible shortness of breath/difficulty taking a deep inhaled breath recently, following 2 weeks of a very tight throat. The symptoms however ONLY strike whenever I swallow my own saliva, or water, and they get worse if the saliva is thick or if there isn't much of it. The more I swallow, the worse the symptoms get. The shortness of breath is leading to arm,head and chest pain, as well as me gasping and feeling like I will black out from head pressure/heart racing. Even alkaline water triggers it mere seconds after drinking it, but eating solid foods makes it subside for about 2 minutes at a time. After that I have enough saliva that I need to swallow again, and the shortness of breath returns.

I have doubts that this is anything to do with stress, because simply thinking about it doesn't bring it on, and NOT swallowing my thick spit/water/gaviscon/milk relieves it somewhat. Also I can wake up first thing in the morning and have no symptoms whatsoever, until I swallow my saliva for the first time. Then I struggle to inhale and feel increasingly worse from there, to the point of a feeling of fatigue. It's especially bad if my saliva is thick, because it feels like it gets stuck in my throat somewhere. I'm scared of passing out or damaging my body from lack of proper breathing-!

There's a month waiting list for the doctors, so f anyone can help me pinpoint what is happening, I'd be very grateful..!
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Extremely short of breath... but only when I swallow
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 07:32:19 AM »
Are you sleeping at night?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daxter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:54:51 AM »
Are you sleeping at night?

It takes me a good while to fall asleep due to thr trouble breathing, but otherwise yep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »
Well I think you've just concentrated your mind so much on your breathing and swallowing that its all you can think of now.

Both breathing and swallowing are automatic body functions and you're breathing and swallowing while you sleep so I think its your stress and an issue of over focusing.

Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »
My doctor once told me that sometimes when you are anxious, you don't always breath properly,
so you may get the feeling of breathlessness, etc.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Daxter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 12:36:09 PM »
Thank you for your replies. I must admit, even when I take things like Rescue Remedy I don't feel any better. It worries me that because those things don''t work, it must be a physical problem. I know what my GP will say if I approach them with this matter though... ;( I can't just not swallow all the time. :p
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 12:26:47 AM »
I've been having this same weird issue too - I assume it's muscle tension coupled with overthinking it when we notice the sensation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 10:47:14 AM »
Well I think you've just concentrated your mind so much on your breathing and swallowing that its all you can think of now.

Both breathing and swallowing are automatic body functions and you're breathing and swallowing while you sleep so I think its your stress and an issue of over focusing.

Ding, ding, ding, ding. This is exactly right.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Tags: