Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Refilling your medication without being judged.  (Read 78 times)

Offline edlu

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Refilling your medication without being judged.
« on: May 25, 2014, 07:08:07 PM »
Ok so I'm having a panic attack as I type this but I'm not sure what to do. About 20ish days ago, my psychiatrist finally convinced me to start taking Ativan for my panic disorder(I've had it for about 7 years unmedicated, he doesn't know I know that I've had it for 7 years, I only started seeing him a year ago). I avoided taking it so long because I'm also prescribed a stimulant for ADHD and I don't want the pharmacist to think I'm a junky or something(I know it's irrational, but I hate the way I feel when I fill my prescriptions).

Anyway, the prescription was for 60 pills, 1mg every 6 hours as needed. I followed the instructions with a one time exception of taking 2 because I was shaking and thought I was going to vomit. I usually have about 4-5 panic attacks a week (I told my doctor I only have 2-3 because I didn't really want to be on anxiety meds in the first place) but since starting this medication it  was happening everyday. Now 15 days before the refill date, I'm out of my medication. I don't want to to try to refill it because I don't want the pharmacist or my doctor to think I'm abusing my medication.

I don't know what to do, I keep having this fear that my doctor is going to think I abuse my medication, pull me off both my medications, which would make my work performance slip and ultimately make me lose my job.

Also, I should also note that my doctor wanted me to take an SSRI but I refused for fear of inducing serotonin syndrome. Now he's going to think I only wanted the Ativan. What do I do?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Refilling your medication without being judged.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
Be honest with your psychiatrist.  It does no good to see one if you aren't honest.  You're there to get well, and if you're not telling him the truth, you're wasting your money.  I applaud you for seeing a psychiatrist in the first place, but make him help you. The only way to do that is by helping yourself and that requires honesty.

I wish you good luck.

Julie

P.S.  If you are nervous about your pharmacy thinking you're a junkie, when you get a new prescription, take it to another pharmacy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Refilling your medication without being judged.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 08:21:19 PM »
Contact your psychiatrist, and tell them that you've needed to take them more than you expected. It's not uncommon, and nobody is going to judge you poorly for taking a medication as and when you needed it. Maybe your psychiatrist can help you with a higher, more effective dose that you will not need so often. The first few weeks of any medication are a learning experience for both you, and your doctor or psychiatrist., to see what you need, how it affects you, whether a higher or lower dose is going to be more effective. You were told to take them as you needed them, so it will be very much expected that you will need a refill earlier than intended.

Be honest with those that are trying to help you. They're there to improve your life, not to judge. Lying to them just makes their job harder, and could lead to medications that don't help as they should, or may even be harmful. How can they diagnose the extent of your problem accurately if you're not honest about how difficult your issues are?
Bookmark and Share