Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Im new here and desperately need help, think i have colon cancer 19 years old :(  (Read 3803 times)

Offline PsalmSeven

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Danny, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know you're panicking and I know that feeling well, because I panic over my health also. It's a really dark place to be. It's even worse when you have physical symptoms, as you do now... Your mind tries so hard to explain the discomfort and usually comes up with the worst possible thing.

That story you read about the girl with the misdiagnosis, that kind of thing is incredibly rare. The chances of you having cancer of any kind are so slim it's not even worth thinking about. Your symptoms and test results all scream IBS.

I'm not sure if this will help, but sometimes it helps me to take this kind of thinking and flip it around. Imagine that the .000001% chance you're worrying about is instead something really good... Like imagine you just bought a lottery ticket and have a .000001% chance of winning a billion dollars. Would you be as certain about winning the lottery as you are that you have cancer? Not very likely, right? Your mind has a way of warping your perception and magnifying the thing you fear, so it seems like a much bigger threat than it is. And the physical discomfort you're feeling only makes it worse, because it gives you something real and tangible to link that awful fear to.

But what you're feeling is IBS. It's not cancer. Your biggest problem right now is that fear is getting to you and it's lying to you and making you miserable. You're a lot better off than you think. Truly!
Bookmark and Share

Offline danielvarian

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I just got back from the doctor again and hes ordering blood tests for celiac, liver and bone, and if nothing shows up hes sending me to a GI.

Said it isnt impossible for me to have CC.

Absolutely fucking terrified :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ok so in his opinion it's not impossible, but it's still not probable. AT ALL.
Bookmark and Share

Offline danielvarian

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ok so in his opinion it's not impossible, but it's still not probable. AT ALL.

I was saying the way it spread to the bowel from my bladder and he said most likely its anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Exactly. You'd be surprised at what anxiety can do, how much pain it can cause. Or at least enhance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline danielvarian

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I may not even bother going to the GI exam.
If it kills me it kills me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
Daniel, I know you're struggling, but you sound a tad dramatic. You're not going to die. You're a perfectly healthy 19 year old who DOES NOT have colon cancer. You most likely have IBS with a side of anxiety. Has your doctor mentioned anything about possible anxiety treatment?

You're in the thick of it right nowówe all have been there at one point or anotheróand it's up to you how to proceed. Just know that repeated doctors' visits, medical tests, and googling are all behaviors that will cause your anxiety to increase even if in the short term they make you feel better.

If you're going to look up health info online, look up anxiety, how it works, and how it effects the body. You would be AMAZED at what it can do and how real those symptoms are. What you're dealing with with IBS are TAME in comparison to what anxiety can sometimes do. Hell, search these boards and you'll find post after post of people experiencing similar things.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline danielvarian

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Im not being dramatic, i have lost 8 pounds in 5 weeks and I am convinced it is colon cancer.
I wont have my blood test till tuesday and the results till the following week.
Bookmark and Share

Offline danielvarian

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
And if my liver enzymes show up bad.
Means it has spread and im gonna die.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You're losing weight because you're not eating because of the IBS and anxiety. When I get scared I lose my appetite and lose weight too. Do the GI exam, and let it put your fears to rest ok?
Bookmark and Share

anything