Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Acceptance: Part of the Solution?  (Read 175 times)

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Acceptance: Part of the Solution?
« on: May 24, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »
I've had panic disorder accompanied by vague persistent physical symptoms for years. I'm 34 now and starting to "accept" this is just how I'm wired. Nothing I'm experiencing is life threatening, it's psychosomatic.

I'm starting to believe "accepting" my situation vs fighting it or being down about it is the solution.

Anyone else tried this way of thinking? It's really working wonders for me.

FYI I'm not on a daily anxiety med, just klonopin in the event of an emergency.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Acceptance: Part of the Solution?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:29:12 PM »
I didn't 'accept' it as such, but I just stopped caring about it at all. Whenever my symptoms would flair up, I'd just think 'Ah well, whatever it is, that's what it is' and go about my day. If it was something serious, I knew I'd find out soon enough one way or another. Worrying about it just seemed silly in the end. It wasn't going to stop a serious illness if it happened, yet it was stopping my life when there was really nothing wrong!  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
I think acceptance plays a big role in recovery.  That's where I'm starting to go with my illness these days.  I go about my business, take my meds, see my therapist and try to stay mindful.   Yes, hard-wiring does playa role in this.  My mother has had several, what she terms "nervous breakdowns."  She's 84 year old now and still going strong, ever after all her nervous troubles.  I fid moment of peace and like to be wthother people.  Last night had a delightful evening out to dinner with frieds and slept well. 

Yes, acceptance and faith are part of the answer.

Best of luck,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:54:10 AM »
Yeah, that's really the only way to reduce the disorder. Once you convince yourself its panic, it doesn't stop but... it gets a lot easier. Its jsut so completely terrifying that its hard to convince yourself that really, this time you're not going to die, just like every other time you had these symptoms.

Oh, but do watch out for the lapse. Every now and then, your panic may.. erupt is the best term I can think of. Violently erupt, and hit you very hard. Know its a possibility, so you can be better prepared for it if it does happen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GratefulPickle

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:19:55 AM »
Yeah, that's really the only way to reduce the disorder. Once you convince yourself its panic, it doesn't stop but... it gets a lot easier. Its jsut so completely terrifying that its hard to convince yourself that really, this time you're not going to die, just like every other time you had these symptoms.

Oh, but do watch out for the lapse. Every now and then, your panic may.. erupt is the best term I can think of. Violently erupt, and hit you very hard. Know its a possibility, so you can be better prepared for it if it does happen.

Yea, accepting the anxiety did help me, but it's so incredibly difficult to completely accept it. Last fall, just about every single day, I would make sure to read information about anxiety and panic attacks, just trying to reinforce positive information to my brain. It did help and I did end up walking to the end of my short block by myself, heck I was even able to ride in a car and be driven a couple blocks away, but it took me practicing every single day for 2 months just to do that. I ended up having really bad anxiety one time while riding in a car, and that ended up being the last time I was able to get in a car and be driven as far as I was that day. I just couldn't get over the hump, and slowly over the next few months, I lost my motivation to continue trying. I haven't even mustered up the courage to get in a car the last few months, although that will change next weekend because I will be MOVING, so that will be a fun experience I bet. LOL
Bookmark and Share

Tags: