Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scratching yourself/obsessive worrying  (Read 99 times)

Offline BailieM

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scratching yourself/obsessive worrying
« on: May 24, 2014, 07:40:36 PM »
I'm new to this but I'm going to give it a go. So I haven't been diagnosed with any disorder (I also haven't seen anybody about one), although I'm starting to worry that my anxiety is more than normal.
For example, I just got a new lifeguarding contract (I've been a casual lifeguard for 2 years now), and immediately I practiced blowing my whistle every hour, of everyday for the past week- despite being completely aware of how to use one. I cannot sleep and every day/night I run through simple scenarios in my head e.g. what if I can't put the slide out, what if people don't hear me shout etc.
This is just one example, but often I can find myself kept up all night worrying about simple things, i.e. how to greet my friend- do I hug them? What do I do? These simple questions can have me break out in a sweat, my heart racing and frequent crying and scratching. Scratching is something I am really worried about as recently it seems to be my go-to answer when I'm stressed or extremely anxious.
Can anyone offer any advice on the situation?
I also find it difficult because none of my family or friends are aware of the situation since I appear perfectly happy in person. I just want to be 'normal', especially since I'm on a uni course involving presentations and teaching (I feel that I try to avoid uni in order to skip presentations, or make myself as physically low as possible in lectures to avoid any possibility of speaking, likewise with training at work, I often tend to physically feel sick and have an upset stomach on whole staff training days). Thanks, B.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scratching yourself/obsessive worrying
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 05:03:33 AM »
What you describe can be normal for those who obsess over things. They might play a whole day over in their heads. It could be a day just gone by already. They play it back. Wondering if they done everything in the right way. Said the right things. They can also think ahead of themselves. Like you described in your wording. You live the whole day before it actually happens. You need to find something else to focus on other than your inward thoughts. We use distractions. Be it a radio at night. We focus on that and drift off to the sound of the music. I am sure you are well trained by now in your job. This is something your mind has to learn how to accept. You know what has to be done and you do it well. But you have to learn how to switch off. That is were finding something else to do comes in handy. So you can focus on that. Might take a bit of time to learn how to switch off. Just give it a go. Find something else you like doing. Use that. See can you do this other thing and not think about work.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline BailieM

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 05:40:22 AM »
This site is really great for support :)
Thank you, I shall have to put some music on at night time. Do you find that doing sports helps to relax?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »
Any kind of exercise is good for you. Nothing like a good burn our. As anxiety is like energy. So sports would burn that energy away.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue