Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Constipated for 3 days (hospital does nothing for me, freaking out)  (Read 138 times)

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
I haven't had a solid bowel movement in 3 days now. I went to the hospital yesterday and told them about it, and that when I tried a stool soft called restoralax (The polyetherine glycol one), but only yellow neon liquid came out a bit, around the actual stool.

The doctor proceeded to yell at me for the times i've been to the hospital for stomach pain, and in the end nothing happened except that he told me he expects me to wait until monday without eating or pooping.... I dont know. I had a small bowel movement today but I feel a huge mass in my bowel. The laxative seems to be working a little, but as I was yesterday, I am in pain with this and it feels like there is a large amount of stool sittiting in my bowel that can't be passed.

Should I go to the hospital tommorow? If not, what should I watch for? I'm extremely, extremely anxious.
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Online Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
If there's no blood, you ok probably. The er will do nothing. See your primary doctor. Could be a blockage but not from cancer. Go get some prunes, or some miralax. I think that's what it's called. Eat lots of fiber.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Honestly, there does not seem to be anything to worry about here. Constipation for three, four, five days, even more than that, is not particularly uncommon. I barely passed a stool for nearly two weeks when I started my new diet, and the doctor said it was nothing concerning. You probably just have a larger than normal stool that needs to be passed. Drink a lot of fluid, eat a lot of fibre,  keep going with the laxative if you feel you need too, and try to relax for a couple of days. If there is still no movement in two or three days, maybe see a different doctor :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
3 days is nothing.  I don't want to start a pissing contest - er, pooping contest, I guess - but I've gone way longer than that.  The joys of IBS. 

Try walking around.  Sometimes that helps me get things moving.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Try drinking a full glass (8 ounces) of water as soon as you wake up each morning.  Prune juice also can help.  Eventually you'll get it moving.

Take care! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
I highly suggest miralax and  lot of water. Also go buy whole organic flax seed and grind 1-2 TBS in a coffee grinder. Add that to yogurt, applesauce or oatmeal. It's extremely high in fiber. Also you can try Smooth Move tea.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
I would eat fiber and drink plenty of fluids. If you want a bowel movement go to a CVS or a
similar type drugstore and buy magnesium citrate and you will explode.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
Milk of Magnesia has helped me immensely in the past. It can be potent though, so pace yourself.
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline MLB2805

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Try a stool softener ....
When I was on meds I was constipated all the time and had to take laxatives. But sometimes
They were still hard... Try a softener
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Tags: