Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: High ALT, AST, and Bilirubin--REALLY SCARED please help [TMI]  (Read 519 times)

Offline aethermaster

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey guys I'm new here,

Okay, I'm gonna begin to let this all out because I can't take it anymore and I'm going to begin from the start. I am 21 years old, male, no history of cancer in my family, and obese. Almost three weeks ago I found blood on the toilet paper and my stool was green. I began to panic and immediately search google (our best friend!) for things and stumbled upon colon cancer. I began to panic and ever since then I couldn't get it out of my head and I couldn't stop crying. I went on having green stool, a day with black stool, constipation one day, diarrhea the next, pencil thin stools, and now my stools look normal despite me not going as much as I used to. Yes I'm a very anxious person, and yes I've had depression before just so you guys know.

I went to the doctors and they ordered some blood work and some tests. Let it also be known that I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs of any kind at all. When I got the tests back it showed that I had a high ALT, AST, and Bilirubin which indicates liver damage or a disease of the liver. Again I went back to google and my parents have been telling me its because of my weight and it'll cure itself when I begin to exercise more (which admittingly i dont do). I was not medicated and the doctor simply stated that if I leave it alone it'll heal itself, but what if it's too late? She was extremely mean and seemingly did not care about her patients, so I feel like none of my questions were answered and I'm sitting here crying, alone and confused. I have nobody to confide in, nobody to help me. I feel like my time on this earth is up and I'm absolutely afraid of what's going to happen to me. I also read that colon cancer can spread to the liver, causing damage. They have not finished my stool tests and only told me that they'd call me if there were any abnormalities. I haven't had any other symptoms other than the awkward stool issue and some discomfort (not pain though) in my lower left side. I'm really scared and I don't know what to expect or think. I'm lost.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Melissa100

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: High ALT, AST, and Bilirubin--REALLY SCARED please help [TMI]
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 04:47:17 AM »
Can't you get a second opinion? I would go and see another doctor just to have a piece of mind. But its very unlikely for your age to get colon cancer. I would started to exercise  and add more fiber into my diet as well. Even a short walk in the park can help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:02:15 AM »
Yup I would seek second opinion from a caring doctor with good bedside manor. You are young so age is on your side. How over weight are you? You could possibly have fatty liver which could be throwing the test off. That's actually curable with diet. Green stool means absolutely nothing harmful and is nothing to do with liver. White or pale gray would be ab indication of liver. Blood in stool is usually benign but warrants investigation. I highly doubt you have CC that spread to liver because you would be very ill. How high above normal is you liver enzymes? What was your billi levels? If you are not yellow in your face or eyes I'm sure it's not high enough to be truly jaundice. I would be running as fast as you could to a more professional doctor who will calm your nerves.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Bookmark and Share

Offline aethermaster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »
I remember her saying my alt was three times the normal amount. The ast and bilirubin were not AS high but they were over the threshold for normal (i believe bilirubin was at 17.9). As for the blood in my stool there was only ONE day where it was black and the bleeding subsided after three days which causes me to wonder if i had popped a vessel or had some sort of fissure, since it didn't continue. Also my hemoglobin and hematocrit levels were slightly high which concerns me but I've read that it could be caused by cancer or dehydration (what a good range of things huh?). As for red/white blood cells, my alkaline phosophatase, and everything else, they were all perfectly normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aethermaster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:22:59 AM »
Also, I was not given medication other than being ordered an ultrasound. I don't have ANY signs of jaundice or yellow eyes and I've never had it. The doctor wants to keep an eye on my blood pressure because the ones I've taken have been between normal and high (I guess depending on my mood). I also questioned her and asked if cancer was a possibility and she said no and that I don't need to do anything because the liver repairs itself and heals. So make of that what you will...
Bookmark and Share

Offline AthenaNY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 12:20:44 PM »
I have had my ALT and AST checked numerous times over the past year and a half because of fertility treatments.  (I take Metformin for PCOS and that can affect the liver so they check it periodically.)  The numbers fluctuate a lot.  Weight has something to do with it, but I didn't really do any life style change when I got the numbers and they went down to normal level on their own.

What were the numbers?
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 01:25:44 PM »
To me it sounds like you may have a small gallstone blocking the bile duct... you need to have a parent or friend be an advocate for you and get this idiot doctor on the phone to order an ultrasound of the gallbladder and bile duct. At the very least, she should refer you to a Gastroenterologist for a consult.   Simply removing (or passing) a gallstone could set everything right again.  If you do have fatty liver issues, losing weight and taking a good brand of Milk Thistle (in capsule form) from your local health food store is PROVEN to aid the liver in repairing itself.  I know you are scared, but this WILL pass.  God Bless :)
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline aethermaster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
Sorry for the bump but thanks you guys. I love how catty you guys are to my doctor hehehe. Yeah, she was real mean and I don't feel comfortable asking her questions at all so my mom is going to try to find another clinic with another doctor but considering she didn't give me medication and she wants to see me again in 2 months implies that the problem may not be a serious as I thought (unless they call me for abnormalities on the stool test...)

That all being said, I am beginning to work out and I'm already seeing a change in my bowel movements back to how normal they used to be. The only thing I'm concerned about is Liver Cancer. Any chance that it could cause all this? Or am I just crazy?  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »
Was this fasting bloodwork?
You can put liver cancer out of your mind right now.  I knew someone who's cancer spread to their liver and they were REALLY sick (very weak, VERY bad) so put that out of your mind right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aethermaster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »
Was this fasting bloodwork?
You can put liver cancer out of your mind right now.  I knew someone who's cancer spread to their liver and they were REALLY sick (very weak, VERY bad) so put that out of your mind right now.

Yeah, I couldn't eat anything and I could only drink water. I'll try my best but it gets really difficult sometimes. I try to get it out of my head and it just keeps pestering me, but that's my head for you. I need to keep fighting it and to convince myself instead of looking at websites especially since I have 0 symptoms and am not a smoker/drinker
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lazer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 02:51:34 AM »
I will keep saying this over and over and that is, I am a 55 year old male and a professional Hypochondriac. I go through all of these threads and it just reminds me of all of the worrying that took my life away. My wife and my mother always told me, that I was living a Death, not a life.

First of all, as everyone is saying, get rid of your Doctor.  ALWAYS remember that it is your body, your life.  So you watch out and take care of yourself and if that means switching Doctors, than do it.  Your lucky that you are at a young age as many people who are much older, will feel that they will make their Doctors feel bad so they won't ever change.

You said your Bilirubin was 17.9? You are probably talking about Total Bilirubin.  In many Labs, the high normal is 17.

First of all, if there was a problem with your Liver, that count would be HIGHLY ELEVATED.  But as Hypochondriacs, if it is 1 or 2 points above normal, we think, oh, oh,  it's high so I have such and such disease. That's not what they mean when they say something is elevated.  It means really, really elevated. That goes for most, but not all tests done in labs.

Also, many numbers are normal and a person can still have something. So don't start looking up lab values and making judgement calls for yourself.  You are not a Doctor and that is very important to know.  You and the rest of us, don't know how significant these values are.  Time in and out, I was like you, and My Doctors would always tell me "That's not what it means." They have all the experience, we don't right?  Their is an expression that says "A little learning is a dangerous thing."

If you think the primary site of your cancer is you intestine, and it has already metastasized to your liver, and you are 21, I would say that is very, very unusual.  Very Atypical. There is another expression in Medical school and it goes like this.  "If you hear hoof beats, think horses, NOT Zebras.  Meaning, if a patient has symptoms or signs, don't think it's a rare disease or a disease that is very unusual for a patients age.  You first think of the most common problem, in your case, for 21 year olds.   That is the age I started to get hemorrhoids, (Which can be external, you can feel them, or internal, where you really shouldn't be poking around). And since you stated you are overweight, Dollars to doughnuts, I bet that's what your bleeding is from.  Do you strain when you try to have a B.M.?  That can definitely cause bleeding. I also feel you may have had     an intestinal infection that can cause all of the things you mentioned.

But sadly for Hypochondriacs, everything I just said won't make a difference.  You will either still be convinced that you have cancer, or you will due more research and find another serious disease.

I don't know if you have been to a Psychiatrist but if you haven't, and this thinking continues for you, please see a Psychiatrist because unfortunately, Hypochondria ONLY responds to medication. At least that is what I have read in the literature.  It's a bummer to have to take something but please don't ruin these very important years of your life like I did and see someone as soon as you can.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh. Please stop looking things up.  You will ALWAYS find that you have something serious. The only thing that I can say is try to lose some weight. Now is a good time to attack it before it gets out of hand.

Everything should turn out well for you, and all of your problems should be resolved. 

Wishing you a good, long, healthy life. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »
You are VERY young, I mean it takes years and years (20 or 30) of some kind of bodily abuse to raise those numbers.  I'm wondering if the lab simply didn't make a mistake!
OR the other possibility is due to being overweight.   Fatty liver is common in overweight people - it's NOT serious and doesn't lead to any damage or anything like that (but it WILL raise your number) - but then again, you'd be fatigued, you'd have jaundice,  your urine would be dark... etc.   So with NO symptoms I'd kinda go with the lab error!  Seriously, have the tests done again.
Once again?  NOT liver cancer!  THAT would absolutely have even MORE symptoms than fatty liver and you don't even have symptoms of THAT.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aethermaster

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 10:41:46 PM »
Sorry for the bump.

Yeah, I've been eating junk food almost all my life so I just wonder if my symptoms are too late to fix but I guess since I'm still waking up each morning with almost no pain other than when i jab myself deep ( :spineyes: ) then I feel something. I have heard the zebra horses term too and I'm also concerned about colon cancer, not just the liver. Recently someone I went to high school with died of it and now I'm feeling the symptoms except the stool. I was straining myself earlier, but now I'm feeling a lot better now that I'm not forcing myself to go. When I was forcing myself, I had pencil like stools and small balls of stool that were pale, but now that I'm not straining myself the stool has the normal brownish with some black color and wiping doesn't show blood or anything so I don't even understand what's going on. When I did strain myself, I did bleed but it was on the toilet paper, not on the stool from what it seems. I've also had large strings of red (food?) in it, and all sorts of stuff so who knows what's even going on inside my stomach.

I feel like when people say I'm too young, I think about the girl who died and if she died from CC then what about me? What makes me not susceptible to it if she had it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 05:55:30 AM »
Well then think of it this way - the odds of someone so young having CC is extremely rare...  YOU being so young the odds of you getting it on the heals of someone else so young is astronomically rare, and to take it even FURTHER than that, you being so young, getting it on the heals of someone else so young from the SAME SCHOOL, the odds don't even seem possible.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: